Just dawned on me...4th Surgiversary today, 2/25!

TBIYTC
on 2/26/13 1:23 pm - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 02/29/12

Thanks again - I'll have to bring that up with my surgeon.  Congratulations once again - 4 years - that's terrific!

TBIYTC-The Best Is Yet To Come Referral-Mar 2011   Surgery Feb 29th, 2012

on 2/26/13 1:05 am

WOW AND CONGRATS. YOU HAVE WORKED REALLY HARD

VSG TO DS REVISION 

JazzyOne9254
on 2/26/13 8:30 am

096 096-

Thanks!  but actually, the DS did 90% of the work.  I just made sure I got my protein and fluids in, and took my supplements. I do exercise by doing aqua aerobics, calisthenics and isotonics in the warm water pool.

Remember, because of the high malabsorption *daily supplements are non-negotiable*!  You will take supplements, and extra protein via shakes for the rest of your life.  Now some people say they get all their protein from food after they're about a year out,, but I'm here to tell you, I can't eat that much!  You figure a DSer needs to get in 90-100g ofr protein everyday and only 50-60% of what's taken inget absorbed, that means all protein, all the time!  I use whey protein isolate shakes and protein nutrition bars (I like Go Lean and Flurry bars) as  protein insurance. 2-3 shakes daily in addition to food.  It has helped keep my weight stable, and my Total protein and prealbumin numbers up.  My last labs, however, sucked - they were immediately after my Mom's decline and death, and I expected as much, since I couldn't remember if I was supposed to scratch my watch or wind my butt (quote from Steel Magnolias).

The key to the DS is this...While RNY's have a "honeymoon period" for losing weight, before the intestinal villi grow more dense to overcome the malabsorption, DSer's are malabsorptive for LIFE, because our configuration makes it near impossible for more dense villi to overcome the greater malabsorption. I say near impossible, because there may be a rare DSer who has regained substantially, but I don't personally know of any.  My own experience has been seemingly eating more than I ever did when I was SMO, just to maintain!

The difference is, I think in terms of protein grams when I make food choices. Fruits, veggies and grains are now garnishes, and only get in if I have room.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Huneypie
on 2/26/13 1:19 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Congrats and I hope you feel better soon!! :-)

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

JazzyOne9254
on 2/26/13 8:36 am

Thanks!  Feeling better just as my area goes under a winter storm warning!

deborah N.
on 2/26/13 4:01 am - Bellmore, NY

Awesome job! Congrats and happy anniversary :-) 

Pregnancy%20ticker

JazzyOne9254
on 2/26/13 8:37 am

Thanks, and congrats on the little one on the way!

deborah N.
on 2/26/13 8:39 am - Bellmore, NY

Aww thanks so very much !! :-) 

12 weeks to go :-)

Pregnancy%20ticker

Lisey
on 2/26/13 12:04 pm - Milwaukee suburb, WI

Hi Jazzy!!

Congratulations on all of your successes!!!  It is an amazing journey!  Four years is quite a stretch of time.

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

bbeyerlein
on 2/26/13 12:46 pm - Albuquerque, NM
DS on 11/08/12
HAPPY SURGIVERSARY TO YOU!!! I will have my ds on Mar 18th, and am both excited and nervious! I have waited a year for this, and am sure I won't regret any of it...well, maybe some pain...but will be worth it, right?
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 942 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1156 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 408 views