Still Open Wounds

allegedlylisa
on 3/26/13 10:31 am

Was anyone else still dealing with open incision wounds almost five months out?  I am sick to heck of having to pack two holes in my belly this far out.  The one from my surgery back on November 7 just doesn't seem to want to close.  The other one came about 2 months later when I got an infection inside my incision and they had to drain it.  There's no infection, both wounds bleed (which they tell me is a good sign of healthy tissue), but it's just an annoyance and inconvenience.

Anyone else dealing with this or heard of others having the same issues?

Lisa

thinlizzie12
on 3/26/13 11:36 am - KS
DS on 01/24/13

Lisa,

Although I don't have this problem but I do pack pt wounds. have they ever considered a wound vac? There is a new technique we have been applying called Safeblood. It is amazing. People's non healing wounds actually heal with this procedure. The longest I have seen a patient with an open wound is about 1 1/2 years out after surgery. Good luck to you

allegedlylisa
on 3/26/13 12:37 pm

Thank you so much for the information about Safeblood.  I just looked up some info on it - and there is a location in Lincoln, NE that does it - not far from me.  I have an appointment on Monday to have the surgeon's office check the wound again.  I was going to wait until my 6 month followup in May, but they said they want to check it now.  I will definitely mention Safeblood to them and see what they say.

Thank you again!!!!

Lisa

PattyL
on 3/26/13 3:03 pm

It's not all that uncommon when you have a post-op incision.  It has to heal from the inside out.  My sister had the same problem and it took her quite a while to heal.

thinlizzie12
on 3/26/13 3:27 pm - KS
DS on 01/24/13

Lisa,

If they cannot do it there we do it here in Topeka. I know it would be a drive but if I was in your shoes I would do just about anything to get it closed up. thing is about healing from the inside out....it is true but if the bacteria and exudates are just sitting there and the wound stays too moist and there is a lot of drainage a wound vac should be placed to suck it all out and give the healthy tissue a chance to grow. Good luck Lisa.....PM me if you need;)

myblueseven
on 3/26/13 9:40 pm - Sudbury, Canada

Hi Lisa,  I had the same problem.  I had to drive home from Michigan to Northern Ontario.  On the way my incision opened about a 3 inch gap.  I ws freaking out.  I took about four weeks of packing and cleaning before mine clearned up and healed but it eventually did.  Hoppfully the new proceedure others have suggested can help things along.  I may take some time but I'm sure it will come aroud.  I know, just another thing to content with right.

larra
on 3/27/13 12:17 am - bay area, CA

Wound vac sounds like it might be helpful. Also, if you have any mesh in that wound from recent (or even old) hernia repair, ask your surgeon to consider the possibility of infected mesh. Hopefully this isn't your problem.

Also, make sure you are getting in plenty of protein, as wounds will not heal without adequate protein levels. If necessary, ask to have your total protein and albumin levels checked (and prealbumin level, too).

Larra

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 368 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 822 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views