One month out... depressed and regretting it

poisonring9
on 4/18/13 3:30 pm

I have had depression for many years, but now its gotten a lot worse.  I keep feeling like I shouldnt have done this procedure.  I see the weight coming off, but I cant feel any joy that I should be feeling.  Im on a lot of medication for my moods but they are short acting and run through my system too quickly.  I usually get very depressed in the mornings when I wake up and havent had my pills for awhile.  Could this be my hormones adjusting or the loss of a coping mechanism?  Has anyone else had regrets or depression after surgery?

MajorMom
on 4/18/13 7:05 pm - VA

It could be hormones but you probably need to have your meds adjusted for your malabsorption.  If they are any sort of extended or timed release, they will likely pass right throw without breaking down. I know some of my hormone replacements are extended release and I have to break them into 2 pieces and take them that way.  Wishing you better times.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

jashley
on 4/19/13 1:36 am
DS on 12/19/12

I agree with Gina.  Go gets your meds checked out.

clutterbunny
on 4/19/13 2:00 am - CA
i third this. i had to adjust my antidepressant after...

Kandrus
on 4/21/13 5:45 am
DS on 05/28/13
I'm worried about my anti depressant meds too. My surgery is a month out. I tired Atkins before and hit a major depressive episode. My psych said it was because there were no carbs to make seretonin, so the SSRIs didnt have anything to work with. The surgeon said it was more likely carb withdrawal. I thought about taking serotonin supplements just to be sure. How have you managed?
Kandrus
on 4/23/13 12:35 pm
DS on 05/28/13
Did they go up or down on dosage? My PCP says she looks forward to lowering my doses after weight loss because that's the typical result. I would think with malabsorption that the dose would have to increase.
divamc
on 4/19/13 4:21 am - Riverview, FL

I read on another board that a lady was experiencing serious depression after her procedure and found that once she increased her protein to its appropriate level, it fixed the problem. I agree with the other posters, but I also think you should consider your nutrition.

poisonring9
on 4/19/13 8:37 am

That could have something to do with it, I havent been getting anywhere near the right amount of protein.  Ill try this and if it doesnt help then Ill go talk to my psych dr.  Thanks!

larra
on 4/20/13 1:59 am - bay area, CA

Do both - increase your protein, but that's not a substitute for adequate amounts of your psych meds. Your psych doc can order blood levels of these meds to see if you're in the therapeutic range, and I bet you aren't. We know that the malabsorption of the DS can screw up levels of anything time released, but sometimes it screws up levels of meds that aren't time release as well.

So get to your psych, get your levels checked, get on whatever amounts of meds you need to have therapeutic amounts in your brain, and I bet you will feel so much better! And once you feel better, you'll also take better care of yourself as regards your protein intake, your vitamins, and everything else.

Larra

Michelle H.
on 4/20/13 2:43 pm
DS on 01/16/13

I am just over 3 months out now. My first 4-6 weeks I had buyers remorse BAD. I thought WHAT HAVE I DONE.  I am now 3 months out, down 70 lbs. Feeling great.  I keep my protein and fluids up. walk when I can. I feel like a new woman.  GOOD LUCK. IT does get better I PROMISE

Most Active
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 1 replies · 17 views
Recent Topics
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 1 replies · 17 views
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1092 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1268 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 519 views