food ideas?

poisonring9
on 4/21/13 1:26 pm

I just reached the pureed phase after a month and I tried a ricotta bake, ricotta cheese and meatless sauce.  i discovered my tastebuds have changed.  Not only that but everything is so strong.  Even smelling cooking makes me feel queasy, and just a bite of the bake made me nauseous from the strong flavor.  Can anyone help me think of some bland but good foods for when your senses of taste and smell are too strong?  Ive heard acidic foods like tomato based things or maybe tuna would work.  I dont really like eggs.  Any idea of how long this will last??

shannn
on 4/21/13 11:16 pm - Knoxville , TN

I would try the ricotta thing with just the cheese and no sauce. I had a lot of trouble with the strong spices in tomato sauces for a long time.

Hmmm....no eggs... I lived on them during my puree stage. Tuna would be good with lots of mayo to make it moist.

Honestly, until you can eat more meat I'd still mostly rely on protein shakes.

~shannon
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." ~E. Roosevelt

(Ticker includes 11 pounds lost in pre-op diet.) 

jashley
on 4/21/13 11:58 pm
DS on 12/19/12

I do remember having a keen sense of smell and a strange sense of taste for the first couple of months after surgery.  Food didn't appeal to me for weeks after.

Yogurt, cottage cheese, and my protein shakes were my main stay during that time. 

fullhousemom
on 4/22/13 1:50 am
Every surgeon is different. I never pureed anything and couldn't tolerate protein shakes either!

At a month out, I was eating all kinds of cheese. I had mozerella sticks and babybel on hand all the time. Search "ricotta fluff." That stuff is delicious! I ate a lot of high quality lunch meat, mostly turkey and made myself develop a taste for greek yogurt, which I now love. I ate oatmeal with protein powder. And, I ate eggs.

Shortly thereafter, I added rotiserrie chicken. It took me a long time to be able to tolerate a chicken breast.

I eventually added a protein bar every morning for breakfast, something I still continue today. The bars are a little controversial because of the carbs (as is the oatmeal), but it did not effect my overall weight loss. I was always pretty patient though.

And yes, my taste buds changed. I remember my first bite of chocolate. It did nothing for me. I thought "Good! I'm glad I dont like that stuff anymore!" Well, trust me, those taste buds come back.....

Most Active
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 1 replies · 15 views
Recent Topics
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 1 replies · 15 views
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1092 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1268 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 519 views