curious

italiana1980
on 7/3/13 3:26 pm - kenilworth, NJ
VSG on 01/25/12

hi i was sleeved 1.5 yrs ago but i was just looking into different things.  how does ds differ from the bypass (rny) or is it the same?

dangjena
on 7/3/13 7:38 pm

I researched this a lot before my surgery 3 years ago. From what I could tell, DS gives you more "freedom" with your eating habits than RNY.  I don't know specifics about the procedural differences, but I do know that DS seems to have longer lasting effects because it's easier for many people to stick to the diet requirements after surgery.

* Gail R *
on 7/4/13 1:23 am - SF Bay Area, CA

The DS is quite different from the RNY. We do not have a "pouch", but we do have the size of our stomach reduced, preserving the pyloric valve. This makes it an easier surgery for me to live with. One looses more weight and keeps it of than with any other surgery and it has the best results in resolving diabetes. Take a close look at this very good web site and come back with more questions. DSFacts.com

Both the RNY and the DS require a strict lifetime commitment to supplements and vitamins since we do not absorb sufficiently though our diet.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

larra
on 7/4/13 2:19 am - bay area, CA

Good for you for researching! But it sounds like you have a lot to learn about the DS. As Gail said, dsfacts.com is a great website with lots of info about the DS.

Briefly, the DS combines the sleeve, which you already have, with a bypass of about half (roughly) or your small intestine. The lower half of hte small intestine is attached to the duodenum, not the stomach, which is very different from gastric bypass. So we don't have a pouch, we have the sleeve, and we have much more malabsorption than with gastric bypass.

What does all this mean? It means the DS has the best results of any wls for percentage excess weight loss, for maintaining that weight loss, and for resolution of almost all comorbidites. Frankly, this was probably the operation your surgeon should have recommended in the first place...but when you go to a surgeon who doesn't do the DS, that surgeon isn't going to recommend the DS. We see this all the time. And I bet if you went back to him now, he would recommend revising you to gastric bypass, which would be a shame, since the results are not as good, it's harder to live with, AND in your case you already have a sleeve that would not need anything further done if you have the DS.

What else does the DS give you? No dumping. You can take NSAIDs, which you can't do with gastric bypass. You can drink liquids with meals. There is no laundry list of foods you are never allowed to eat again in your life. A much more normal diet and more normal way of eating.

Both DS and gastric bypass have specific vitamin and supplement requirements, more with the DS. It isn't hard to take the vitamins once you establish a routine, but it is crucial for your health. This is a lifetime committment.

I hope you will continue your research, and have a consultation with a surgeon who can offer you ALL your revision options before making a decision. You can find a list of DS surgeons at dsfacts.com.

Larra

italiana1980
on 7/4/13 3:07 am - kenilworth, NJ
VSG on 01/25/12
Thanks for all the info I prefer to know from people that actually live it. My surgeon does do ds I see him monthly to make sure I stay on tract etc also every three months he does the upper GI radiology to make sure that's correct. This week when I see him I might discuss. The reason he didn't suggest is prob going in I really did not want a malabsorption procedure and hearing all the issues with the band the sleeve seemed a good option. However I had 250+ to lose and 1.5 years out I'm only down 90. The dumping also turned me off from bypass. I didn't and still don't have any other issues other then the weight never had diabetes, high bp, chlestrol, etc I'm very lucky in that regard but still have so much weight I'm in the gym every day however 9 months out from surgery I wa**** as both a driver then pedestrian by a car so the pain and injury's make it very difficult to do anything high impact :-/ thanks for all the info
SweetnessandGrace
on 7/4/13 3:20 am, edited 7/4/13 3:20 am - ID

Larra, that is the best summary I've read!  I'm going to print this out so I can quote it when asked about the DS.  Good job, and thanks for sharing!

HEAVEN IS THE PLACE WHERE YOU GO TO MEET ALL THE DOGS YOU HAVE LOVED.

Huneypie
on 7/4/13 2:21 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

See here for a comprehensive comparison http://www.dsfacts.com/Comparison-of-DS-and-RNY.html

Among the many differences is increased Excessive Weight Loss with the DS.

You're already half way to a DS with your sleeve so your most obvious revision would be to DS.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

usandall
on 7/4/13 5:55 am

With malabsorption you have a to be good about vit and following up.  If you know you can commit to that in my opinion it is the best WLS out there.  I have never regretted it and I was a prior band. The only adjustment was taking vit every day.  It took me some time but I am getting use to it.  Of course I am only a year plus out from my DS date 2/14/12 so I am not a vet.  It is a work in progress and I am still learning every day.  You can learn from others, ds site, internet gather all info you can................  and you will be happy with the decision you make.  My stomach capacity is small as a result I sip on water and snack on protein all day long in order to get my totals.  If I plan I do best if I don't I lean towards unhealthy carbs so either way you need to be strong and do what is best for your body.  Good luck in your research.

Donna

italiana1980
on 7/4/13 6:11 am - kenilworth, NJ
VSG on 01/25/12

with my sleeve i feel little restriction i eat the portions as told by my baratric nutrionist but do feel hungry after would you say with ds it's more restrictive and less capacity to eat. i feel like i have the capacity to eat like a normal adult that didn't have wls if i let myself so i have to use allot of control 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 403 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 851 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 275 views