Concerned about my DS......

Caligurl99
on 8/27/13 11:11 pm

I am three weeks out which i know it's rediculous to already be concerned but I haven't lost anything in a week and a half :( Which i thought this was suppose to be my honeymoon period.  I am getting all my liquids in and as much protein as i can get down... i don't cheat with carbs and get plenty of exercise.  Any of you go through a stall literally within weeks of your surgery?  Any food ideas of what i should change??

Thanks everyone for your help!

Member Services
on 8/27/13 11:32 pm - Irvine, CA

Have you given your surgeon's office a call?  Perhaps your nutritionist can help with some food suggestions.  I am sure our DS'ers will have some too

Keep up posted!

jashley
on 8/28/13 1:46 am
DS on 12/19/12

Be very careful following the advice of any nutritionist.  They typically, historically do not understand the nutritional needs of a DSer's system.  Most of them give the same info to DSers as they give to RNY patients - and we definitely have different needs and our bodies respond differently to foods/medication/etc. 

Not all of them are worthless, just the vast majority.  This is something you learn as a new DSer, and if you follow any DS community forum.  I've seen this advice here, and on 2 other boards.

For this reason, a nutritionist would be the last person I would ask advice from unless they specialize in the DS.

southernlady5464
on 8/28/13 5:17 am

^^ EXACTLY!!! Do not bother with the NUT...they have RNY on the brain.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

jashley
on 8/28/13 1:33 am
DS on 12/19/12

You are at that first stall that occurs for almost everyone.  I hit it at 2 months, most hit it at 3 weeks, you hit it a little earlier.  Your body is adjusting to the shock of surgery, not eating, swollen intestines, etc.  Just relax (l mean that literally).  You will start to drop again shortly.

Foods: keep under 50 carbs, and try to get in 120 grms of protein a day.  I used my shakes for protein the first 6 months - till I could eat enough to get my protein by food.

At 3 weeks, you are getting plenty of exercise?  What type of exercise are you doing?  I didn't do anything except what I absolutely had to do for the first 6 weeks, and then gently worked up to a regular day.  Exercising is great but be very careful you don't give yourself a hernia.  Your ab muscles have been through a lot and need about 4 months to heal/strengthen.

Caligurl99
on 8/28/13 3:48 am

When i say plenty of exercise, i mean walking every morning and I have a one year old and a three year old that keep me busy ALL the time :) not hard cardio at all. 

I REALLY need to work on my protein then because i'm only being able to get about 80 grms right now with shakes and builder bars.  I use to enjoy isopure and for some reason i can barely tolerate them now :(  is the lack of protein some of the reason for no weight loss?

Thank you SO much for this info!!!

jashley
on 8/28/13 5:06 am
DS on 12/19/12

is the lack of protein some of the reason for no weight loss?

No.  The weight stall just happens.  Your body needs a break to re-adjust and top up it's reserves, shift the remaining fat cells, release the water it normally holds to metabolize those fat cells, on and on...  Some people lose every week, and consistently.  Others loose on a stair step pattern (where you drop weight - then stabilize for 2-4 weeks, repeat). 

And there will be certain weight levels that your body does not want to go below.  And you will have to stick it out - just keep on your low carb diet and it will eventually stop fighting the weight loss and let go of the fat. 

I never get crazy and slash my carbs or calories.  Ever try to get a cat out of a tree?  As soon as you grab it and start pulling, the cat freaks and digs it's claws into the tree.  It takes a crow bar to pry that cat out of that tree now.  But if you stand at the bottom and open a can of tuna fish and gently call that cat down, it will find a way down in about the same amount of time it would have taken you to pry it out of the tree with force.  Moral of the story: don't freak your body out by slashing calories/carbs to break through a stall.  The body goes into 'starvation mode' and then it becomes all out war to get past that weight level.  Just gently coax it down by slowly dropping your carbs after waiting at least a month without weight loss. 

You're gonna do great on this.  Keep taking your vits and protein.  The DS will do the rest.

on 8/28/13 5:14 pm

Great advise, I love the cat analogy

VSG TO DS REVISION 

southernlady5464
on 8/28/13 5:14 am

First stall happens at 2/3 weeks out. Your body has finally figured out that something has happened and is going WHOA, what in the HELL did you do to me???

Also, protein/food is NOT critical at this point in time, hydration is...make sure you are getting fluids.

That's why new pre-ops hear: SIP, Walk, Rest, repeat! (Nowhere does it say EAT yet).

Rule of thumb for protein..

By the end of 30 days, be able to get in 30 grams a day. 60 days, 60 grams, 90 days, 90 grams, 120 days, 120 grams.

Your taste change...what you liked pre-op is probably not gonna taste good after. Also DITCH the protein bars. Focus on SOFT protein if you need regular food...stuff like Tuna with plenty of mayo, egg salad with lots of mayo, etc.

Remember, your tummy was cut on and is STILL healing. Treat it like you would a baby. You would not feed a 1 month old protein bars.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Caligurl99
on 8/28/13 5:35 am

Liz..... thank you SO much!!! this helps greatly! I've been trying so hard to get in ALL the protein and really been slacking on my water because of it. this was good to hear!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 624 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 984 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 334 views