DS Revision because of poor weight loss

Eli1979
on 3/6/14 2:04 am

Has anyone had the DS and later had to have a revision because of lack of weight loss?

Susan M.
on 3/6/14 4:05 am

How long ago was your surgery?

Eli1979
on 3/6/14 4:09 am

It will be five years in May.  I started at 386 and my lowest weight has been 251, I am currently 269.

PeteA
on 3/6/14 5:04 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I've seen people talk about getting resleeved and once in a while people wonder about getting a shorter CC. DO you know how long the CC was from the original surgery?

Eli1979
on 3/6/14 9:07 pm

I am going to call Dr. Inman's office today and find out.

PattyL
on 3/6/14 6:37 am

Doesn't happen often but it has happened!  Usually it is a resleeve only.  But there is no reason why the whole thing can't be redone.  I have also heard of cases where there was significant regrowth of the CC.

southernlady5464
on 3/7/14 3:41 am

A few have but getting back to basics (as in ditching carbs) could help as well.

And many of the old timers have left this site...sending you a PM.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

airbender
on 3/12/14 10:35 am

yes I know of only one that was revised from the DS after losing only 10 lbs (yes surgeon on the DS list-everything was fine with her suregery) to the lap band and lost weight that way.  I too lost all my weight with the band down to 120's, but the complications caused me an incredibly awful quality of life, to the point it had to be removed, then I had to wait 6 months then revised to the DS.  We are all different.  Can you look at other options?  re-sleeve?  shorter common channel?  hope you get some answers soon

MsBatt
on 3/15/14 4:25 pm

In the 10+ years I've been reading here, I think I've seen 3 people do this. One had had a 'bad' surgery to begin with, but I don't recall the details. (I'm thinking too-large sleeve, too long CC.) One was a very young girl who stopped losing after about 65 pounds, and when they did an exploratory her CC had almost doubled in length. (Very rare, but the young heal VERY well.) I can't remember what the third one was.

I do remember reading that less than 1% of DS patients needed revision due to inadequate weight loss.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 569 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 953 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 325 views