Post-op BM ???

Patriciakindep
on 3/18/14 11:12 pm
DS on 02/24/14

Hello everyone! So I have a bathroom/post-op diet question for you all...  I am three weeks and two days post op. I was on clear liquids for the first week, full liquids for the next week, and then advanced to purée which was supposed to be for the next two weeks ****il this coming Saturday, today being Tuesday).

Well, needless to say I felt I was doing ok, I was hungry, and so tired of having food that was mushy! I started having things like eggs, tuna salad, and yesterday I tried chicken. It all went down nicely and sat fine! I was so pleased!!!  Cut to this morning, I am feeling like my BM is much more solid then they have been. I have been going to the bathroom fine until now, I was able to go a bit this morning. I just feel like it's not all coming out and I need to push, which I'm nervous to do, as I am still sore and all the internal connections are so new. I know I have more that needs to come out, it's just not. 

So, what do you think? Did I move too fast with my diet? Did you experience this? What should I do? Any suggestions and advice would be GREATLY appreciated! I'm a bit nervous! Thanks in advance!!!

PeteA
on 3/19/14 11:30 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I think your OK although I would think it's a little early for the chicken. I cut my puree phase short and started the soft foods early. FOr the BM's - how are you doing on your liquids now that you are eating more solid type foods?

Patriciakindep
on 3/19/14 12:16 pm
DS on 02/24/14

Thanks for the reply Pete. I have been having trouble with fluids right outta the gate.  Water is so hard to drink! I was doing regular Gatorade and then I looked at the carbs...  OMG! In just 12oz a day I was drinking more carbs than I was eating! So I wouldn't drink it any more. My hubby picked me up some G2 tonight and that is going well! I'm still not getting what I should but it's getting better. Thanks again

PeteA
on 3/19/14 11:35 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I think the G2 will be better. In the same section you might try Propel and PowerAde zero. I like both.

You might have better luck with regular water by adding some lemon in. Early on I did better with warmer liquids - I did a lot of broth
and decaf tea. I also became a big drinker of water with the crystal light on the go packs mixed in my blender bottle. Mostly I drink this
at room temperature. 

Liquids are important but I am thinking if you can get more that will help with your bowel issues. 

I haven't had to try this but some people use Miralax for a couple of days to help out.

Valerie G.
on 3/20/14 7:00 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I was eating solid foods the day I came home.  Pain meds, too little fluids and too little fat all contribute to constipation.  Take some milk of magnesia to soften things up without the earth moving.  Make sure you're eating plenty of fat to keep it moving on out, too.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 765 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1055 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 349 views