im supposed to get 150g of protein a day?!

poisonring9
on 3/18/14 4:00 pm

i just went in for my one year appt and they told me to increase my protein intake form 100g per day to 150g.  they said this is standard for bpd.  what are some of your protein requirements?  this seems like an awful lot, and im not sure how i can fit all that in with my small stomach.  i was told not to snack, only eat three meals, but i dont think this is mathematically possible.  here is what i figure my eating schedule would have to look like to get even close to that amount:

breakfast- 12g from greek yogurt, 20g from protein bar

lunch- 24g from 3oz meat, 30g from protein shake

dinner- 24g from 3oz meat

then i would have to fit a snack in- 30g from another shake

this is a whole lot of food, and i cant eat that much in a day only a few hours apart.  does this seem unreasonable to anyone else, or do you guys have any suggestions?  i cant add any more meat than that because it tastes bad to me still, and eating it twice is already pushing it.  also cant do eggs.  thanks!

MajorMom
on 3/18/14 6:43 pm - VA

I'm still drinking 120 grams of whey protein isolate a day and probably getting at least 20 more in food. I don't really strictly count count food as 120 grams of protein coffees and shakes works great for me and I've kept my sleeve tight and restriction is still good at 6 1/2 years post-op.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

calendargirl
on 3/18/14 11:50 pm - Land of Oz, KS
DS on 04/20/12

I think the whole "not to snack" thing is not appropriate for DS'ers.  When you have a tiny tummy you're never really eating "meals" anyway.  If I order a hamburger from a restaurant, I might only get 1/4th of it down at a sitting, for example.  

I have my vitamins segregated into 6 batches and I set reminders on my phone to take them.  So I use that opportunity to drink protein as well.  I eat something every 3 hours or so.  It might be a handful of almonds, a chunk of cheese, a yogurt, peanut butter, a scoop of chicken or tuna salad, etc.  When my family eats meals, I will eat smaller, selective portions.  I fix up a double batch of sugar free Jello and put it in pretty wine glasses to have ready in the fridge for those "I need something sweet" moments.

Did your protein labs come back low?  I have not heard of 150 grams of protein per day being standard unless you were on the low side...  

Since the Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDA) of protein for women is 46 grams per day and for men it is 56 grams per day, it seems reasonable that if we absorb 1/2 of all the protein we eat, that we should be targeting double that -- a minimum of 92 grams and 112 grams, respectively.  (Reference here)  I think we tend to say we need 100 grams per day in general terms.

C-Girl

Starting Stats: Ht: 5' 0" HW: 242 ~ SW: 229.9 ~ CW: 117 ~ Goal: 124.9 ("normal" BMI)
% EWL @ 03 months: 36%             % EWL
 @ 09 months: 80%
% EWL @ 06 months: 63%             % EWL @ 12 months + 2 weeks: 100%

2renee
on 3/19/14 2:09 am - Ottawa, Canada
DS on 08/28/12

Don't call them snacks the, call them mini meals and yes it's the only way you can get to 150g a day.  Well eating and protein coffees are how I do it.

poisonring9
on 3/19/14 9:45 am

my labs havent come back yet, and i agree that if i were low i could see 150.  but last time i had labs a few months ago everything was fine.  ive been getting my 90-100g daily, so i shouldnt be too low.  i also think snacking might not be too bad, as long as you snack on healthier things.  the dietician said no snacking because it is emotional eating, and we need to break that habit, but i think as long as we stick to low or no calories, healthy stuff like veggies or protein sources it seems like it would be ok.

Valerie G.
on 3/20/14 6:41 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Keep your snacking to protein-rich foods so you can meet your goal, whether it be 100g or 150g....I couldn't accompli**** with only 3 meals. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Sheanie
on 3/19/14 6:00 am

Poisonring:  You seem to be catching on that your surgeon's office is not giving you accurate advice for your long term maintenance.  Sooner or later each of us gets to this point.  You are correct, it's mathematically impossible to get in their required 150 grams of protein a day eating their "three meals" advice.  Because its **** advice.  Why do we even need to define your eating by "meals"?  I think all-day-grazing is a better plan.  At one year, I could only eat ONE greek yogurt cup in a sitting.  But 2 hours later, I could eat some string cheese (2); 2 hours after that, some rolled up swiss cheese with lunch meat and mustard; etc.  If I started my day and ended it with a protein drink (usually a double scoop in my coffee) I knew I was getting my 120 grams of protein. 

Now, here's another important question for you:  If your surgeon's office is giving you bad food advice, what is their vitamin advice doing for you at a year post op?  Because it was at THAT point that my vitamin A tanked, while I was following my surgeon's vitamin regimen like a good little Girl Scout.  Except their ADEK contained no vitamin A, and then they accused me of being noncompliant in taking my vitamins.

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

poisonring9
on 3/19/14 9:51 am

i think the grazing idea is best for me too, especially since i cant eat more than 3 oz meat during the day before it starts to seem unappetizing and greasy and heavy.  this means ill have to be getting my protein from other sources like bars and shakes and peanut butter.  and i cant drink 2 shakes at one meal because its too filling.  so it looks like ill have to eat what i can when i can, as long as it gets in the recommended amount of protein per day.  

as for vitamins, they sell a pretty good kind at the office, it meets most of the minimum requirements set by the bariatric doctors.  but i have trouble taking them, id have to take 8 huge horsepills a day, and they are so big i choke on them and they hurt going down.  so ive had to take bariatric advantage ADEK, and then some extra supplements like iron.  i havent had a problem with my labs yet, so i guess we will see when these come back.

Valerie G.
on 3/20/14 6:50 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The Bariatric Advantage aren't enough of what we need in ADEK.  Most of us find we need to take much higher doses, so we take them seperately.  You'd be amazed at how tiny 50,000 iu of D is.  By comparison, I need 50,000 iu of D per day, and Bariatric Advantage High ADEK formula gives you 667 iu.  The largest dose I found on their site was a whold 3000iu.  On top of all of that - they're way overpriced.   Pay special attenetion at what your A and D levels are when you get your labs back and compare them to your last workup.  My surgeon's office had their own designer brand, and my D level went all the way down to 12 taking 12 of them per day.

Another trick for taking pills:
Fill your mouth first with liquid - tilt your head back and drop the pills in and swallow altogether.  you don't feel a thing.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

poisonring9
on 3/21/14 12:28 pm

so would you recommend taking a general multivitamin and then adding on the ADEK supplements separately?  or should i continue my bariatric advantage and add on the ADEK to that?

Most Active
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 1 replies · 17 views
Recent Topics
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 1 replies · 17 views
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1092 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1268 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 519 views