One month post-op

LTLPIXY
on 5/15/14 12:06 pm

Hi everyone!  I am one month post op from my revision (RNY to DS) and haven't posted since my surgery.  First let me say that as of today, I'm feeling so much better than the last three weeks . . . so let me tell you all about my little journey!

I had RNY in August 2003, lost about 90 pounds, and over the last three years steadily put about 50 of that back on.  I've gone through all the normal diet attempts and had almost given up hope when I was introduced to Dr. Keshishian!  I was able to get approved through my insurance for a revision, and I went in for surgery on 4/16.  Unfortunately it was a very complicated procedure due to multiple abdominal surgeries in the last 10 years.  There was a lot of work to do, and a lot of scar tissue he had to work around.  It was an open procedure, and I was in so much pain when I woke up, they kept me in the recovery room for almost 6 hours in order to attempt to control my pain level.  I finally got taken to my room around 9:30 that night where I was finally able to see my sister!  I stayed in the hospital for 5 long days, and when I was released we stayed down in Glendale to be close to my doctor.  I had my post op appointment the following Tuesday, and we made the 6 hour drive home where I was hoping I would recover quickly, like I normally do from surgery.  Then came along a nasty infection in one of my drain sites, that proceeded to drain for almost the next two weeks.  Two rounds of antibiotics (Flagyl & Cipro) made my stomach upset so much that I could barely eat or drink ANYTHING.  Finally after three weeks I started to feel better.  Able to eat and drink enough water to give me some energy, and every day it's getting better and better!  I'm still waiting for this annoying J-tube to be removed, as it's the last thing still there, and it's becoming very obnoxious.  Although it's just there to be safe, in the event I can't get in enough protein or water, it has to stay until I reach 6 weeks.  That's two more weeks, so I'm hoping it goes by quick!

Although I had three weeks of misery, I'm now starting to feel a lot better, and am very excited for my future!  As of last week I'm down 21 pounds, and am hoping that going back to work this past week will help me lost some more now that i'm moving around more often!!

I'll be sure to keep y'all updated with my progress now that I am feeling human again!!!

PHAT_at42
on 5/15/14 12:19 pm
DS on 03/12/14

I did not have a RNY revision so I dont know the extent of your recovery. I just want to say congrats on your progress thus far and I pray that you continue to heal without any further complication. 

m1=23, M2=11, M3=4(had stall for 3wks), M4=6 M5=6 M6=6 M7=4 M8=3

I am a VSG to DS revison!

MajorMom
on 5/15/14 6:47 pm - VA

Dr K is a master, isn't he? I hear nothing but good things about the work he does with complicated surgeries. It sounds like things are coming along and I hope they continue to get better every day. Welcome to the dark side!  :)

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

dustycroy
on 5/16/14 1:53 am
DS on 05/14/13
My you have had a rough time of it. Glad to hear your doing, and feeling better..... Sending healing thoughts.

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

PeteA
on 5/16/14 10:35 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Glad you are feeling better. Quite a journey. I'm hoping things smooth out for you from here on. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 771 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1059 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 351 views