required weight loss before surgery

kwilk84
on 5/18/14 1:02 am, edited 5/18/14 1:04 am

I am feeling so proud! My surgery is scheduled for July 30th (right now) and April 25th they told me my goal to loss before surgery was 15-20 lbs and they would not do surgery until I lost that much. I stepped on the scale this morning and I'm 12 lbs down! Happy dance.. I am hoping I'm down 15 or more by my next appointment on the 29th!! Think I can do it? How much did others have to lose pre-surgery?

AKI14
on 5/18/14 2:08 am, edited 5/18/14 4:40 am

I was not required to lose any, but I lost 31 pounds before surgery. I started losing at the beginning of March and had surgery May 8.  Edited to add: I wasn't required to lose a certain amount. I just couldn't gain or maintain my weight. I had to have some type of loss.

One step closer

MajorMom
on 5/18/14 2:50 am - VA

I wasn't required to lose any but went low carb and high protein...mostly. I also ate several "last supers". 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 5/18/14 3:19 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I wasn't required to lose anything.  My surgery was open, so no need to shrink the liver for lap tools.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PeteA
on 5/18/14 6:04 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

You should be proud. It helps to have that goal in sight. Good for you.

I had to lose 40 lbs before the surgeon would commit to doing the whole thing at once. He initially wanted to 
do the sleeve then the switch. It took me about 3 months to bust through that goal - glad I did.

There was no requirement if he did it in 2 steps. 

Vicki PNW
on 5/18/14 6:51 am

My surgeon didn't require us to lose weight prior to surgery.  However, I started eating like a DSer about a month prior to my surgery and lost about 20#.  My surgeon was pleased that the surgery went so well!

Keep it up! :)

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 319 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 781 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 259 views