Chewing the Fat

D. Switcher
on 9/26/14 11:02 pm

I hear everything from no/ low fat, to fat in abandon. >100g Proteins/

Sleeve to DS Conversion - Regain 290# Current weight: 252# - VSG lowest weight: 235#  

"Serenity to Accept, Courage to Change, and Wisdom to Know..."

***all comments are my personal experience and/ or opinion***

PeteA
on 9/27/14 12:42 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

On fat everyone has their own opinions and they are mostly different. Here's my opinion.

Once I had the DS I stopped all low fat food and stopped avoiding foods that I would have
considered to have too much fat like mayo. I don't avoid things like gravies and don't seek them out either.

If I was constipated I would look to increase my fats and liquids but otherwise I let fats take care of themselves and don't 
track them.

I admit to looking at some foods (corned beef hash) and getting a certain satisfaction when the a lot
of calories come from fat but that has more to do with my old pre-op calorie mind talking to the new
fat malabsorption me. Not to needing the fat.

As far as protein. At 18 months out I regularly get 150gms. It took me a year before I could reliably hit 100-120.
I'm 6:1 I just think my preotein needs are a little higher than many although if my labs showed me high in protein
I would cut back. They are usually low normal to mid level normal so I think I'm doing OK on that front.

I've seen all the math that says we should eat xxx gms of fat based on 80% malabsorption but I would be 
in the bathroom all day if I did that. Actually that is only my guess since I don't track my fats.

I think you end up doing what feels right for your body. I've rarely seen any posts about medical issues caused by
not getting enough fat. Usually people are upping their fat to avoid constipation and to see if more fat absorbed by
their bodies will help them absorb some of the vitamins that need a certain amount of fat in the body to be absorbed 
better.

Oh. and there are always the high fat days to try and break a stall. Never really worked for me but they were pleasant
experiments.  

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

jashley
on 9/27/14 9:51 am
DS on 12/19/12

I've read that we malabsorb 80% of the fat we eat.  I did notice that before the surgery, I oozed oil.  I had oily skin and hair.  I don't have wrinkles, nor did I ever use moisturizers.

After surgery - skin is definitely drier.  I don't have acne any more and I do have to use lotions on my legs and arms.  So it was true for me that I was absorbing a lot less oil, considering I eat high fat and tend to fry everything (in butter).  I eat more fats now then before.

Long rambling conclusion: we do malabsorb a lot of the fats we eat.  For me, it feels like more than 50%.  Fortunately my body absorbed a lot of fats efficiently to start with.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 383 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 840 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 272 views