What a difference the word "morbid" makes.

Brandy G.
on 11/16/14 3:20 pm
DS on 08/20/14

Since my surgery I have slipped from being "Morbidly" obese to "Severely" obese.   And what a difference in my quality of life. 

EVERYTHING was so uncomfortable.  I still fit into most chairs, but where my body hung off of them would be painful. I was just waiting until the day I sat down and a chair collapsed, I knew it was coming. I wasn't going to fit into my car beloved car much longer without a belt extender.  Super plus sized clothes bunched/pulled/was ugly, ankles swelled and knees hurt.  I remember standing and my body's frame just was uncomfortable.  I was earthbound.  The first few steps always just hurt.   In crowds, people would not give me enough room and I felt like a bumper car.  I was always tired and always felt out of place. 

And the thing is, I didn't even realize it how pervasive being uncomfortable had become. 

If my surgery had only allowed me to lose these 50 lbs, it would still have been so worth it.  

I fully expect slipping from being "Severely" overweight to  simply "Overweight" will be as enlightening.  The best thing about WLS is that the weight loss is almost guaranteed and it is only some work and a matter of time.  I can't wait. 

August 2014 - DS @ Mexicali Bariatric Center / Ungson.
It took me one and a half years to lose 165 pounds.
Weight: High=314, Goal=155, Current=131

Jason W.
on 11/16/14 5:02 pm - Ione, CA

I am so jealous and cannot wait to feel the same way!

Shawnern
on 11/16/14 11:53 pm - Rochester, MN

Congratulations on your 53 pounds loss! Keep up the good work!

Shawn

Star0210
on 11/17/14 12:28 am
DS on 11/28/14

I can very much relate!

Congrats on your fabulous loss so far!

I'm having surgery on 11/28 with Dr. Ungson. I have a sleeve already and I'm adding the switch part. 

Is your cc 100cm? That seems to be his standard? 

Brandy G.
on 11/17/14 3:56 am
DS on 08/20/14

Yes, 100 cm.   On another board they said "On track to lose it all is 25% lost after 2 months, 50% after 6 months, and 80% at one year.".  I am perfectly on schedule. 

Good Luck!

August 2014 - DS @ Mexicali Bariatric Center / Ungson.
It took me one and a half years to lose 165 pounds.
Weight: High=314, Goal=155, Current=131

buffalobillsfan
on 11/17/14 12:49 am - CA

Yes, yes, yes...it all comes back to me like yesterday when I think about it.  I think I was down 60 lbs when I first went to a yoga class.  I cried thru the whole thing just being so grateful to be able to do it.  The things that people of normal size take for granted.  I had numbness on my leg from my stomach sitting on it, couldn't reach the pedals on my car so I had to drive my husband's pickup truck. struggled to get my socks on, broke chairs and a toilet seat as well.  So painful to remember.  I'm always amazed when I see before and after pictures.  It looks so unnatural to be so overweight.  My pay it forward isn't always to preach WLS but to at least treat obese people with the utmost dignity and respect and look them in the eyes and smile. 

Losing my weight was such a fun journey....shopping my own closet for things I hadn't worn in years but dragged around all that time just hoping I could wear them again,  donating those clothes when they got too big, jumping on the scale and pouring over my statistics, sitting in booths, crossing my legs...so much fun! 

Enjoy your journey and thanks for the reminder to be grateful for my new life. 

JazzyOne9254
on 11/17/14 6:18 am, edited 11/17/14 6:21 am

I went through exactly the same thing...I had even taken to scoping out a room to choose seats without arms. 

It is so freeing to be able to sit anywhere, in any type of chair!  I still freak myself out everyday when I sit in my computer desk chair, and still have room left over, and I'm more than 5-1/2 years out!

My CC is 75cm, the shortest my surgeon does, but I was measuered out using the Hess Method, so it was determeined by my individual anatomy, not a one length fits all approach.

Congratulations on your decision.  You will be amazed!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Star0210
on 11/17/14 8:36 am
DS on 11/28/14

Two of the things that excited me the most was being able to sit in a booth in a restaurant and not have to request a table instead and being able to comfortably sit in an airplane seat without needing a seatbelt extender. 

The other thing was being able to shop for clothes in any old store....not being limited to the few plus size stores. 

PeteA
on 11/18/14 3:41 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Congratulations.   You're right each step has its' own rewards. Keep up the good work.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 333 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 799 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views