OK....BAD BREATH ....anyone...?

Up2Me3
on 12/2/14 11:26 pm

I mean seriously - I'm killing myself not to mention anyone sitting too close to me! Is this something that you all have experienced since WLS? I'm only 6 weeks out and gum & mints seems to get my tummy rumbling so I am careful with those but .......any suggestions?

Shawnern
on 12/3/14 9:50 am - Rochester, MN

Is your tongue or roof of your mouth chalky white? You may have thru**** is common after being intubated.

Shawn

PeteA
on 12/3/14 10:30 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Some people have this problem from going in to ketosis based on diet. If that is your issue there may not be much
you can do at 6 weeks. When you have more room for food you can try and figure out just how many carbs are necessary
to eliminate the bad breath. It doesn't seem you have to be out of ketosis completely but a little extra seems to help
the breath issue.

Up2Me3
on 12/3/14 12:03 pm

No white on tongue or roof so think I'm ok there. People have mentioned this ketosis....but if that means I'm burning fat cells....I'll put up with bad breath for a bit. :) 

Valerie G.
on 12/3/14 10:13 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Is it a little metallic tasting in your mouth?  If so, this means your body is going into ketosis, which is a good thing.

Basically your body is getting fuel from your fat instead of sugars (carbs) you consume otherwise.  To lessen the after-effects, drink LOTS of water to wash the ketones (byproduct of ketosis) out of your body.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Racewalker48
on 12/4/14 12:14 am
RNY on 02/17/14

The other thing you may want to consider is your dental health.  Besides ketosis, gum disease can also cause halitosis.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 389 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 845 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 275 views