surgery did not go as planned

lolo100
on 10/17/15 8:57 am - colorado springs, CO
DS on 10/13/15

I was scheduled for my DS on 10/13, my surgeon was unable to do it due to excessive scarring in my intestine from a previous hysterectomy that used the DaVinci Robot. He said in the area that he needed to work with my intestines are bound together with thick scar tissue forming a hard mass. He did go ahead with the sleeve. I'm disappointed and not too happy about the condition of my intestines, but trying to remain positive about the sleeve. I was so excited that this was finally happening, so it is a bit of a let down.

MajorMom
on 10/17/15 9:02 am - VA

I'm so sorry, I know you're upset. If the day ever comes when you want the rest of the DS you might seek out a surgeon used to doing tough revisions such as Dr Kesheshian in California. I think the spelling for his name is close but may not be exact. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

larra
on 10/17/15 9:49 am - bay area, CA

I'm very sorry you were not able to get your DS, but hope you will make the most of the sleeve that you did get. Some people are very successful with sleeves. I also agree with the recommendation to contact Dr. Keshishian in CA after you've had a chance to recover both physically and emotionally. He is one of the best DS surgeons around and also does complex revisions. I don't know whether or not he'll be able to help you but if anyone can, he's the one.

Larra

PattyL
on 10/17/15 12:50 pm

I am very sorry! Make sure that doc does NOT get paid for the whole surgery! And I also say go to Keshishian!

lolo100
on 10/17/15 3:18 pm - colorado springs, CO
DS on 10/13/15

thank you all for your suggestions. It is too early for me to think of another surgery at this point. I will see how I do with the sleeve for now.

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/15 8:44 pm

Sorry to hear about the complication, but you shouldn't be too hard on the surgeon, he may may done you you a great favor.

i know someone else with similar intestinal issues, and it can be extremely serious to tamper with them.

The sleeve is a good option and may ultimately be all you need.

best of luck!

lolo100
on 10/28/15 12:36 am - colorado springs, CO
DS on 10/13/15

I trust that he made the right decision. Although disappointed it didn't go as planned, i would not want to risk my health.

PeteA
on 10/19/15 9:04 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I'm sure you will make the best of the tool you were given. There are a lot of people that go on to great success with just a sleeve. It's a disappointment but you are still moving ahead and that is 2hat counts in the end. Good luck. Keep us in the loop as to how things are going.

Pete

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 681 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1005 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views