DS

ednalewis
on 5/26/18 7:02 pm - stockton, CA

I'm thinking of having the surgery is it really safe and do anyone regret it.

Valerie G.
on 5/27/18 1:58 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

The surgery is perfectly safe if done by a surgeon who has a lot of experience specifically in doing the DS, just like any other surgery. The important part of being healthy post-op is learning how to keep your nutritional health in order, and sadly, this is not advised well at all by the surgeons or their nutritionists who like to lump DS in with all other WLS, and it's simply not the case.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

ednalewis
on 5/28/18 10:39 am - stockton, CA

THANK YOU SO MUCH MAY I ASK WHAT STATE YOU ARE FROM AND THE DOCTOR I WOULD APRECIATE IT I NEED A DOCTOR WITH EXPERENCE...HAPPY

Memorial DAY,,

califsleevin
on 5/29/18 8:14 am, edited 5/29/18 1:15 am - CA

For where you are, Dr. John Rabkin would be the go-to guy, he is in SF, though there is also Dr. Greg Jossart in SF as well and he has a good following and was an understudy of the Rabkins way back when. Another alternative in the region if you don't mind going down to the LA area is Dr. Ara Keshishian.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

ednalewis
on 5/29/18 10:53 am - stockton, CA

thank you so much

Janet P.
on 5/29/18 7:40 am

What type of research have you done on the DS? Have you found a surgeon yet? I had the DS more than 15 years ago and do not regret my decision.

The surgery is safe as long as the surgeon you select is an experienced DS surgeon. The DS does has some rules that require a lifetime commitment (high protein, lots of vitamins, regular labs, etc.). If you're not willing or able to make those commitments then the DS is not for you.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

ednalewis
on 5/29/18 10:51 am - stockton, CA

I was thinking about the sleeve but so many has gained there weight back I'm looking for a long term surgery I had gastric stapling done 40 years ago and have been on diets after diets I want to be able to stay on track and use this tool long term and will do what ever it takes .i was looking on youtube and I have found a doctor in texas.I want to thank you. Have a bless and wonderful day..maybe when I get the surgery I may want your advice again.

Janet P.
on 5/31/18 5:33 am

Your previous WLS may dictate what type of WLS you have today. Definitely talk to a surgeon with lots of experience with all types of WLS and learn as much as you can about your current anatomy and how it can be converted to a DS (or something else).

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

PeteA
on 5/31/18 10:52 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Mine was safe and the rates for problems are really low overall. As people said you need to have a surgeon you have confidence in and has the skill to do the DS. My surgeon, Phillip Schauer, does relatively few DS surgeries per year and isn't know as, specifically, a DS surgeon but considered a skilled surgeon with DS experience.

I'm 5 years out and have no regrets. That is not to say, especially the first 6 months, that you won't have episodes where you wonder why the heck you did this to yourself. It's only human. The people I've seen on the boards that have long term regrets are extremely rare.

The other thing to remember is that while losing the weight makes everything easier it doesn't mean you won't have other health issues. I've had a lot of things resolve, including my diabetes, but I the neuropathy in my feet is still there (mostly no feeling) and while my foot ulcers all healed one recently reopened due to my orthotic getting old and me not realizing it wasn't supporting the area like it should.

Still better to deal at 235 then at 464 or more.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

ednalewis
on 6/1/18 12:06 pm - stockton, CA

Thank you so much....I'm just looking for a weight loss surgery that is going to help me keep m weight down was thinking the sleeve but so many have failed. I'm trying to do this on my own but in the back of my mind being a food addict I have had some chet moments and its been most of my teen and adult life.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 360 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 134 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1050 views