Protein Help

CamCake
on 10/9/18 5:52 pm, edited 10/9/18 7:39 pm

I am 7 week out from DS surgery. I have lost 42 pounds however I lost 19 of the 42 pre surgery. I have had a few stalls already due to not getting enough protein. Looking for suggestions/meal plans to get 90 plus grams of protein in per day with food.

thanks in advance

Liz J.
on 10/10/18 6:22 am
DS on 11/29/16

So I'm almost 2 years out and still drink a protein shake and eat a protein bar daily to help me get my protein in. Also, my doctor had it 30 grams by day 30/60 grams by day 60/ 90 grams by day 90 and 110 grams (plus) by 6 months. Just keep working on it but I did post a meal thread for what people are eating, that might help.

Liz

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

CamCake
on 10/10/18 8:09 pm

Thank you Liz my dietician told me all wrong. I have never heard the 30/60/90. I just read my book again thinking maybe I read it wrong but it said and they told me I should be eating 90 plus gram of protein a day. Again, thank you so much this will be a huge help and relief for me.

sweetpotato1959
on 10/15/18 9:04 pm

CamCake, My Doc gave me one goal 90 grams protein.. yes it was difficult to get in, i put a protein supplement that was prescribed in sugar free hot cocoa for about 3 months because my pouch was so little.By doing this I did not have to stop drinking water,to get my protein in. i drink mostly water. coffee in the morning...lots of eggs... I try to average 30 grams for each meal but am decades past wls.

Janet P.
on 10/10/18 8:18 am
On October 10, 2018 at 12:52 AM Pacific Time, CamCake wrote:

I am 7 week out from DS surgery. I have lost 42 pounds however I lost 19 of the 42 pre surgery. I have had a few stalls already due to not getting enough protein. Looking for suggestions/meal plans to get 90 plus grams of protein in per day with food.

thanks in advance

At 7 weeks post-op you should be aiming for approximately 60 grams of protein per day (not 90). The guidelines (at least when I had my DS) was 30 grams of protein by 30 days post-op, 60 grams by 60 days, and 90 by 90 days. Ultimately you should aim for 120 grams per day.

At 7 weeks it's hard to get that much protein from food alone. Is there a reason you're not doing shakes?

Stalls at 7 weeks probably have nothing to do with the amount of protein you're getting in.

Your focus should be water - at least 64 ounces per day (if not more).

Since you don't say what you're eating, I'll make some suggestions of high protein foods:

• Eggs (any form)
  • Tuna
  • Any type of fish (easy to eat and high in protein)
  • Cottage cheese

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

CamCake
on 10/10/18 8:16 pm

Janet,

I am so excited to hear about the 30/60/90. I do drink the premier protein most morning but I was still trying to get 60 more grams in too. Also, I have up my water this week and the scale is moving again:) Thanks again for taking the time to help me with this issue and let me know if you have any other things that will help me on this journey.

Janet P.
on 10/11/18 6:35 am

If you're not tracking what you're eating you should. It helps because you need to learn what's important as a DSer - protein and fat content, how many carbs (avoiding carbs early out to help with the weight loss). Read labels. Learn about the food you put in your body. For me it was all about quality and no longer about quantity.

Just remember - stay hydrated, make sure you're taking your vitamins (again may have to build up to your full complement of vitamins over time), and work on building your protein. I think one of the hardest parts with the DS is re-learning to eat for the DS and get out of the "diet" mindset. You're not on a diet anymore and hopefully never will be.

My only other piece of advice is to remember that this is a marathon and not a sprint.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

PattyL
on 10/10/18 11:45 am

Make a bunch of egg/tuna/chicken salad. Every time you pass the fridge, take 1 bite. It adds up.

Crazeru
on 10/11/18 3:04 pm

I kept a spreadsheet on the fridge door measuring protein and water for the first few months. I still eat every hour or 2. When I go 4+, it's not good. I graze until I'm full, then start again. Whether you want to eat or not, you have to. Same with sipping water all day long.

Ricotta Fluff or Chia pudding easy to eat a few bites here and there. Egg/Tuna/Chicken salad are all good. Jerky, nuts, salami & cheese.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Valerie G.
on 10/17/18 1:41 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I kicked protein drinks to the curb, mostly with egg custard and ricotta cheese in my fridge at all times. Ricotta packs 7g of protein in each 1/4 cup and goes down nice and easy - even early out.

Top it with some tomatoes and cheese for gooey lasagna guts

Mix with SF pudding mix and some HWC and beat to perfect pudding consistency

Mix with a little sweetener, vanilla and pistachios (or choc chips) for a cannoli taste

Beat ricotta, egg, vanilla and bake for Ricotta pie.

The egg custard was 5 eggs, 2 cups of milk and 1/2 cup sweetener.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 299 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 771 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 256 views