Meal Plans

BMcDade1970
on 12/30/21 7:45 am
DS on 11/20/20

I was just wondering if anyone has any particular meal plan they follow or can provide ideas to me. I am totally stumped!

PattyL
on 12/30/21 1:09 pm

Get an Atkins diet book. Anything on the induction diet should give you ideas. New food, have a little and see how it goes.

The idea is high protein and low carb. Right now your stomach is tiny so you should be eating about 90% protein with maybe a bite or 2 of something else. Make up some chicken/tuna/egg/ham salad. Soft and goes down easy. Have a bite or 2 every time you pass the fridge. Spread some deli meat with cream cheese. Roll and eat!

Your stomach is probably too small for real meals at this point and that's OK.

BMcDade1970
on 12/30/21 1:59 pm
DS on 11/20/20

Thank you, I will do that. I am 1 year postop, and I feel like nothing is happening because of the insulin I have to take. When I take it, it makes me feel like I am starving. So, I am at a loss for what to do

White Dove
on 12/31/21 9:01 am - Warren, OH

Insulin does make you feel like you starving. It also helps you to store more fat. Plan to eat a lot of things like turkey breast. Roast a turkey breast, slice it, and keep in the refrigerator. It also helps to eat a lot of fish, chicken, eggs, beef, pork, beans and lentils. Avoid cereal, bread, pasta, sweets, anything made with flour or sugar. It is not easy, but it is doable. Eat a lot of non-starchy vegetables, and limit fruit. I belong to Weigh****chers and find their points system very helpful. Since you are DS and don't absorb fat, you can eat whole fat cheeses and meats and that will help you to feel fuller. Exercise will help more than you think.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

BMcDade1970
on 12/31/21 9:15 am
DS on 11/20/20

Thank you so much! My daughter is going to help me implement this and start exercising. You are always so helpful. Happy New Year to you and your family.

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/22 6:13 am

Has anyone been told by their doctor's office to leave out fruit from their diet as a DS patient? I'm craving fruit and have no problems digesting it (watermelon, honeydew, cherry plums, cantaloupe), but at my appt yesterday, his aide said to leave it out because it's high in carbs. I'm losing, on average, two pounds a week. Thanks for the ideas about ways to keep the Protein up. This thread has been helpful t me as well.

sweetpotato1959
on 2/14/22 1:02 pm, edited 2/14/22 5:03 am

Are you a type 1 or type 2 diabetic...? Either way.. sounds like your insulin dose is not right for you...you might want to get guidance from your personal physician on reducing your dose or splitting your dose up for better control. not of diet, of insulin use...that will lead to better control and less appetite.

. I agree in keto diet as good place to start.If you adjust CARBS down, your insulin NEEDS will be lower. if your insulin is too high =you will be hungry.... You do not want your sugars really high or really low. even just after a meal. with good control your blood sugar should remain within 20 points of your fasting. consider adding cinnamon for insulin sensitivity.

I have been pre-diabetic since 1978. My dr told me to control my sugars or i would be insulin dependent in 5 years.since i hate needles it got my attention. I am still not on insulin.

Answer is :High protein and low carbs..COUNT all carbs...this works for me.

Denise
BMcDade1970
on 2/15/22 7:45 am
DS on 11/20/20

Hi Denise and thank you. I am working with my doctor for my type 2 diabetes and things are starting to get better. Thank you for your message.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 323 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 782 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views