Misery Loves Company

lbmg
on 12/22/15 6:01 pm

So they say "misery loves company" and this miserable soul is looking for company. I have to admit (repent?) that the last three and a half years of my "pouch life" have been pretty much handed to the dogs. I could give you all kinds of excuses if I wanted to but the truth is I took my pouch for granted. Admittedly, 4+ years ago even after surgery I could eat almost anything and not get sick. Even if I dumped, I moaned and groaned and threw up and still went on with the horrible behavior. Now the occasional binge and intentional ignorance, has led to me paying for it. I am about 100 lbs away from where I am supposed to be, when I used to only 35 lbs. away from goal,saddened by the gift I took for granted and perplexed because now that I keep growing in size, I no longer have anymore clothes I can fit into. Financially, I am not in the place in which I can afford a NUT again and I definitely can't just go out and buy a new wardrobe.

Normally I wouldn't do this (put my business out in the public eye), but I am DESPERATE to hear from anyone else that has taken their pouch for granted and successfully come back swinging. IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE??? How did you get back on track? I will take anything that is given--advice or criticism! Thanks.

By: LBMG

Lap RNY: 10/15/2007

SW: 330 lbs.--CW: 206.4 lbs.--GW: 125 lbs.

LOST: 123.6 lbs. --81.4 lbs. to go!!!

cassiegrl
on 1/5/16 10:49 pm - putnam, CT
RNY on 12/15/09 with

WOW talk about luck on my end, I came back to OH after 4+ years.  I'm about 5 years post-op and what you said is exactly what has happened.  I have "excuses" some fair to give myself a break on, others not.  But I'm now inching closer and closer to where I started, I'm running out of clothes to fit and at 32 I want to be back where I was! It felt amazing.  I'm so tired all the time, I currently don't have insurance and have issues that I think might be post-op related but where never addressed at the time that are just "ganging up" on me.  

SO following this thread! 

Already glad I came back because I feel like i'm the only one. 

Chickenboob
on 1/6/16 2:14 pm - Rockland, Canada

It happens to a lot of people. You aren't alone, but it's time to take that step, recommit and get back to basics. I am a poster child. In fact, I am still working on ditching the regain. I still have a ways to go, but I know once the regain is gone, I will keep losing because I have changed my behaviours.

I have another 26 pounds of regain to turf. I am scared every day that I will fail, but the stronger side of me says stick with it!

If I can turn it around, really, anyone else in the same situation has reason to hope because honestly? Four months ago I had lost all mine.

RNY 2011/07/26 HW 338; SW 301; LW 199; Starting over weight 255; CW 212; GOAL #1 lose regain back to 199 lbs!

Terri Ott Norris
on 2/18/16 12:10 pm - Livermore, CA
RNY on 07/18/17

I noticed that you posted back in December-but I found this that might be helpful:

16 Ways To Get Back On Track:

1. Eat dense lean proteins first.  When you eat lean protein, it stays in your pouch longer and gives the satiety that lasts longer so you don't get hungry as quickly.

2.  Foods to avoid and eat in moderation.  Avoid processed foods, foods with high sugar, fried food, fast foods (also known as "junk food"). In moderation, eat complex carbohydrates. Complex carbs are plant based, whole grain foods such as oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa, or as an ingredient within a food such as whole grain bread or pasta. Starchy vegetables such as potatoes, beans, peas and lentils are also complex carbs.

3. Be aware of your liquid drinks.  Calories in liquid drinks can add up so check for nutritional info and serving size. Due to the nutritional value, liquids such as protein drinks are a better choice than apple juice or a mixed coffee beverage. After some procedures, alcohol is absorbed quickly and you will feel the effects faster which can cause you to become intoxicated on small amounts. Alcohol beverages contain calories but provide minimal nutrition.

4. Eliminate grazing and emotional eating. Grazing is the habit of eating small amounts throughout the day. Grazing is usually mindless eating compared to planning out your food for the day. Emotional eating is when you turn to food as an emotional response.  This could be for uncomfortable emotions, to self-medicate what you're experiencing or feeling happy, celebratory or reward yourself.  Avoid emotional eating by distracting yourself until the craving passes.  Grazing and emotional eating are causes for weight regain.

5. Eat mindfully. Eating mindfully allows you to fully savor what you're eating. Ways to eat mindfully are eating slower, chew thoroughly, paying attention to the flavor and textures of food, and putting your fork down between bites.  Mindless eating is the hand-to-mouth pattern when you've consumed food without being aware of how much you've eaten and aren't aware of your fullness level.

6. Portion control.  Portion control is an important component to weight loss and getting back on track. When you plan your meals, you are able to visually determine the portion sizes right for you.  When you know your portions, you won't as easily succumb to portion distortion.

7. Drink water. Have you replaced drinking water with different beverages or high caloric fluids?  Our bodies need water to stay healthy, vibrant and energetic.  Water has a critical role in every system of our bodies. Make a goal to drink at least 64 ounces of water per day to keep hydrated.

8.  Don't drink with your meals. Think of your surgical tool as a funnel. When you eat, the food is at the base of the funnel which causes satiety.  If you drink fluid with meals, the food gets flushed through your pouch so you have minimal satiety.  Without the sense of satiety, we will become hungry within a short period of time.

9.  Exercise and stay active. Exercising is an important component for a healthy body. There are many reasons to exercise such as more energy, burn calories, improve your mood and self-esteem, and increase your health.  Find an exercise or activity that you love and enjoy so it feels less like "exercise" and more like "having fun."

10.  Vitamin supplementation and lab tests.  Taking vitamins after weight loss surgery is an absolute must for anyone that has had weight loss surgery.  If you've been off track and neglected your vitamins, start taking them now. If you haven't been to your surgeon or doctor in over a year, make an appointment for a physical and lab tests.  Vitamin deficiencies can occur, and make you feel lethargic and the cause of low energy.  You may have physical symptoms of deficiencies but don't recognize them as vitamin deficiencies.

11.  Sleep.  The recommendation for duration of sleep for the average adult is eight hours.  When you're tired, fatigued or don't get good quality sleep it impacts our decision-making and impulse control, i.e. food choices.  When you're rested, you feel better, more apt to be active and exercise plus make healthy food choices instead of reaching for comfort or fast foods.

12. Get logging.  You can use ObesityHelp's Health Tracker  to track your nutrition, activity, body measurements, and create tickers and reports. Tracking your food gives you accountability and an overview of what you are, or aren't, doing. In addition to accountability, tracking is a good way to bust out of the complacency rut.

13.  Be active within the bariatric community.  When you are active on message boards, not only are you giving support to others but to yourself as well. Make sure to stop by your surgical procedure message board to check in with other OH community members that have the same weight loss surgery procedure as you. For extra support for getting or staying on track, consider joining the Back On Track Together OH Group.

14.  Attend regular support group meetings.  Support group meetings are composed of other WLS'ers.  While our stories and bariatric surgery procedures may be different, we share the experience of being morbidly obese, pre-op's and living as weight loss surgery post-ops.  We are with others that understand and appreciate the weight loss surgery journey of each support group member.

15. Create small goals. Getting back on track can be broken down into achieveable goals.  Maybe you need to get back to a couple of the healthy habits in this article, or maybe you need to get back to most of them. When you create the momentum of being on track, you're less apt to go off track again.

16. Keep your head in the game. Getting back on track is a mindset. Make the commitment to yourself that you're ready and follow through by your choices and actions. Being on track isn't a diet but it is a lifestyle. If you have a meal or a day that you've eaten off track, get back on track and continue on. Don't let one day turn into one week or one month. Keeping your head in the game of being on track will carry you through the challenges and reach the success you want from your weight loss surgery.

Have a Blessed Day....

BLOG: www.sweattodaysmiletomorrowcom.wordpress.com

Most Active