i need support please

loretta cowels
on 8/16/11 3:38 am - MI
RNY on 04/16/12
Hi im new hear Im going to have wls soon and i have fibro am really scared and need to find people who are going though this. I have alot of trouble finding people who understand the pain i go though let alone wls to please help
MainePam
on 8/16/11 6:24 am - Bucksport, ME
Hi I am glad you found this board . You will get understanding here as we know when you say your hurting just what you mean.
I am 64 have severe arthritis, 2 total knee replacements and one shoulder replaced. I have had fibro for years. I had gastric bypass Sept 26,2006. I started at 470 lbs went clear down to 315 and am now about 350. the fibro is no better with the wls. BUT I am glad that I had the surgery because I probably would have been way over 500 lbs with out it. I am struggling with grazing eating between meals now. So the surgery is not a sure thing alone. It is a tool and you still have to work hard..The surgery also limited me on what med's I can take for my arthritis.
Hope this helps,
Pam
loretta cowels
on 8/16/11 8:57 am - MI
RNY on 04/16/12
thanks for replying back i understand about being limited to what meds i can take i have chronic gastritis allready so i cant take alot of pain meds no ibprofin else i pay dearly for it. I know the wls wont help with my fibro pain but will it help me be able to be more active i am at 300 lbs and at 5ft 2 inches im huge and i know that dont help my ability to walk i have a 20 month old and i feel so bad i dont have the energy to play enough with him. and i have a 17 month old grandson and one on the way im only 38 but the pregnancy seemed to make me 100 worse. I was told i had ms. was even on shots for it now they say nope just fibro ya they think just fibro they say well its not as bad as ms but there not dealing with this every day feels bad to me thank you for taking the time to reply I tend to keep in a shell because so many doctors and x husband made me feel like i was crazy not in pain My new husband is great but i dont like to burden my family over my pain I guess the old feelings come back of feeling like im crazy loretta
grannymedic1
on 8/17/11 10:19 am, edited 8/17/11 10:20 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
Welcome to the boards. You are right that wls will not improve fibro pain but getting more active will. Because of my fat I couldn't even walk 5 minutes without being in such pain that I couldn't try again for several days. As I began to lose weight my 5 minutes became daily then increased to an hour, which encouraged me to try riding bike. Losing 65 pounds of giant belly has made everything easier.

If your fibro is food sensitive you may be able to control it easier. I wasn't capable of controling any portion of my diet before my wls.

The one thing I made sure I did was talk to the anesthesiologist before surgery. I had previous surgeries that had triggered horrible fibro flares and I was afraid of it happening again. He simply adjusted what he did to include less sedation and more pain control. I came out feeling like a million bucks (ok, not that great) but no fibro pain.

Good luck to you.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

loretta cowels
on 8/17/11 9:28 pm - MI
RNY on 04/16/12
thanks for this ya after my c section i thought id never heal had to do many steroid treatments and was hurting for months and then when i had my nission funmulcation big set back on the plus side because i couldnt eat lost 50 ilbs but gained it back and then some when i felt a little better
Nikki Lee
on 8/21/11 2:17 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 08/25/09 with
I had my RNY in 2009 and was just DX with Fibro in april.   I was 470 and am now at 297.  I have found that many of the pills have not worked and as you said we cant take the Nsaids so that makes it a bit harder.  I am in Canada and I get Caesament (not sure on spelling) it is a fake THC pill.  When I first started taking it I noticed I was not as sore in the morning  and by the afternoon I would be in full pain.  I asked if I could take a pill 2 times a day  so see if it helped better if I took one in the morning. And it did I had no pain at all if I over did it witch I did all the time then I would be sore and be in bed after dinner and in pain.  I found that I would have the spinns really bad all day when I took it in the morning and now I take them both at bed time. I dont find it helps as much.    I think that the RNY may have been what caused the Fibro but dont know for sure but I would still have it done.  My live is some much better with out the weight but with the Fibro then it was with the weight and no Fibro.  I even have a bad case of it so I have been told by friend and family that also have it.

Nikki
on 9/14/11 7:31 am, edited 9/14/11 8:08 pm
Hi-congratulations on being where you are. I had RNY April 28th,2011. I have Fibro, Raynaurds,Sjorgens, Arthriitis, Restless legs and Chronic Fatigue, Cervical and spine disease. I have lost 66 pounds and in some respects I feel better. I say in some respects I feel better  only because there are some areas of my life is a litlle better. With autoimmune diseases the flares can change everything. But, you already know about flares and what to expect from the flare up (if-it occurs). Main thing no matter what -no matter how bad it is you gotta move.
I slept in a chair for two weeks. I felt better sitting than trying to lay down and pull myself or roll over. During the 3rd week it was easier for me to sit on the bed and lay on my side and slow roll to my back. I reversed the process to get up. I kept a heating pad in my chair for my back and a pillow for my stomach.
The nausea was horrible but after three weeks I felt much better. Again-each person is different so chances are you will not have any of the same symptoms I had. At least I hope not.
I did have to come off all my inflammatory medications. In this area-I can say my stomach is not as upset as it was. I was on medication to treat cancer that was suppose to help the Fibro. I took it a long and cannot say it helped.My problem with medication is anything that I take even prior to surgery had a tendancy to be thrown back up.
Was there pain, yes. Was it worth it during the healing I told people will have to wait and see. I'm the kind of person with this autoimmune I can show you even a month after the fact where I had an injection. So I do understand the pain issue. For me if I don't move I will not be able to move. I hope that makes sense. Alot of good people are on here so feel free to post and if you want I will watch for you and see if you want to talk anymore.Best wishes.
Most Active
Recent Topics