Possible Fibro and running questions - XPost

Feystorm
on 11/17/12 10:49 am - CA
VSG on 03/14/12

It seems more and more like my doctor is going to come back with a diagnosis of a fibromyalgia in regards to all my years long medical problems.  It seems like it is becoming more of a distinct possibility.    Previously my doctor had thought that it was pinched nerves in my back (one of my last many diagnosis) and said I couldn't run. :(

I have been looking forward to getting into the couch to 5k program.  My good friend, Alison, is going to start the program when she is recovered from her plastics and released to exercise again. I have been really looking forward to doing this program with her.  

My question is this: if the diagnosis is really fibro - does anyone know if the running and exercise restrictions will remain?  I am doing all the research I can online, but haven't found where it is expressly restricted.  Any information on this question, or any insights into this diagnosis will be appreciated.  

Thanks everyone.

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

Missy A.
on 11/18/12 6:47 am - NC
RNY on 08/17/12

If your dx is Fibro, I can't imagine why you can't exercise. I don't run, but I do exercise 6 days a week on the elliptical and weights. Exercising is supposed to be good for Fibro, although I know I hurt more now than before, but I also can deal with it a little better now that I'm exercising. You will always have flare-ups, but maybe they will prescribe you one of the meds that help with Fibro pain and you will be able to do the program you want! Hope it all works our for you!

Missy

HW:348 Consult W:320 SW:295 Current W:156 GW:140

Hislady
on 11/18/12 8:52 am - Vancouver, WA

Glad you found us and hopefully some others will chime in. We are always here to help if you need us!

pattip574
on 11/29/12 11:43 am - Fremont, NC

My rheumy pushes exercise but told me definitely not running, at least until my FMS is controlled, whatever that means... I do know others who have FMS who do run. Honestly, I still have 100 plus pounds to lose but hope to run one day. Good luck! I think I'm going to look into the couch to 5K program for some exercise ideas.

(deactivated member)
on 2/1/13 2:48 am

hi, welcome to you on this forum site.Here you will get perfect solution for your queries. only A healthy life can be joyful life. the causes of your problem can be vitamins,dieting, improper food etc.you can go for natural and homeopathy treatments. ------------------------- Natural remedies 
lesleyhpr08
on 2/5/13 11:00 pm - Lexington, SC

While we haven't ruled out MS and my doctor said that there is always the possibility that I could test positive for Lupus one day, she's pretty sure that I have Fibro.  I don't like taking meds which is what she says is the way to treat it and I'm 34.  I feel like I've come a long way and I've got 2 kids 13 & 5 so I push myself to the max knowing that I'll probably pay dearly later.  I run 2 miles in about 15 minutes, I couldn't do a mile in 10 in high school.  I do have 3 bulging disk in my lower lumbar spine L5, L4, & L3 with a cyst on L3 that mimics spinal stenosis.  My husband is always telling me that I can't do this and that but I am like "oh, yes I can!".  I would just take it slow and see how your body handles things.  I'm hard on my body but I've deprived myself for so long of physical activity.  It feels great and my kids love it!  Some things that help besides meds for me is obviously rest but also epson salt baths really hot.  Good luck

Lesley
HW 319/SW 301/CW 97/GW 130          

Jen35
on 5/6/13 3:24 am - IL

Hi,

I'm new here and pre-op with fibro.  They thought I may have Lupus or RA but at the moment, my tests are all good.  So for now, just the fibro (but can't rule out the others down the road).  I haven't heard/read anything about not running.  That said, I'm not able to at my current weight/pain level.  Once I get my VSG, I hope I will be able to work myself up to some running, because I enjoy it.  Now I'm primarily doing elliptical and swimming.  Swimming really gives me a workout without the exhausted feeling after.  I'm tired, but I can still function.  So I'm hoping that getting the weight off will help me be more active without paying for it as much.

Most Active
Recent Topics