First workouts post-op... my body is wrecked.

C H
on 8/20/15 2:46 pm

Wow, bless you! At 2 weeks I was still walking hunchback, was cleared at 8 weeks but waited until 10 weeks or so until the tenderness went away from the incision where they took the stomach out.

hollykim
on 8/24/15 11:04 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 14, 2015 at 10:25 PM Pacific Time, jamrodriguez wrote:

Yesterday was my 2 week surgiversary and also my first day back at the gym. I started the day with a ton of energy so I decided to try for a run. Within 90 seconds my lungs were burning worse than I've ever felt them burn, even when i ran at my heaviest. It took about 20 minutes for my lungs to recover and feel normal again. I walked the rest of my hour on the treadmill. Today my back and hips were so sore from yesterday's workout, I decided to lay off the treadmill for the day and instead did 20 mins of elliptical. When I got hone tonight I felt like I had been hit by a bus. It feels like every muscle on my lower body is sore and stiff. It's really blowing my mind because these workouts were actually not in tense  for me, compared to my pre-op workouts, and even compared to the amount of walking and activity I do at work on a daily basis. Can anyone offer any insight as to why I'm being affected so hard? I'm afraid to take it too easy because I'm already in a stall on my second week. Any advice would be great!

you totally need to slow down and let your body recover from major surgery. 

Bodies are funny, while your body is putting all its energy into healing from surgery, you are trying to force it to keep up your regular pace as well. Bodies first goal is healing and keeping you alive. You are spinning you wheels trying to force it to do anything else. 

Give it a rest and cut your body some slack.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 9/2/15 11:19 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

At 2 weeks post-surgery your body doesn't know what it is doing yet.  It is possible that you are not having a 'stall' but that you may have lost a lot of weight recently and that your body is adjusting its hydration level and that your weight loss will begin again.  If you are eating correctly, taking vitamins, and walking several hours a day - get another hobby and relax because you are doing enough.  The weight will come off if you follow the doctor's plan.  Weigh yourself only once a week - same day and conditions.  Write it down then put the scale away for another week.  I never lost more than a few pounds a week, but it does add up. (As compared to a friend of mine who lost 30 pounds her first month after surgery.)

Best of luck and as someone who is all of 8 months post-surgery, I can say, it will come off.  Watch Dr. Weiner's videos - he goes into the factors that influence how fast the weight comes off and over the long term, what keeps it off. 

All of his videos are great, but I might suggest that you consider starting with this one.  It addresses the most important questions - how much weight will I lose?

http://drmatthewweiner.com/how-much-weight-will-i-lose-after-bariatric-surgery/

Sharon

Sharon

Most Active