My Bandiversary

grannymedic1
on 5/5/11 1:02 am, edited 5/5/11 1:04 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
Yesterday was my one year mark and it sure was a day of reflection. When I started this journey I was 209.8 pounds (most of it in my belly). I lost to below my goal of 145 to 140. That was too low for me. I hit my goal at 5 months and could not believe it because I had planned that it would take roughly nine months to a year. I was lucky and I know it.

What has been the result since surgery? I am much healthier, don't need a c-pap, am off most of my meds, the ones I am still on are for things that relate to heredity or pain control for severe arthritis and osteoporosis and fibromyalgia. I am even off my asthma meds. I keep them around but have not needed any. This was a lifelong severe problem. My type 2 diabetes is resolved (never cured once diagnosed) my cholesterol is controlled instead of out of sight, and I have given my pcp a real thrill.

I have self respect, again. Not only did I hate the way I looked and felt but I hated and was ashamed of the way I ate. I had no hope. Now I see what I have accomplished and am proud of what I have done. My band has given me a fighting chance to succeed but I have had to do the rest. It has not been easy, nor have I done it without falling into old habits at times but I am a very different person inside and out. That feels great.

For honesty's sake I admit to putting on a few pounds over the winter as a result of poor eating, my band being very loose (2.5 cc) and having to be inactive due to extreme pain. We were out of state so I couldn't get a fill or an injection at my pain clinic and it became discouraging. However, even at the worst times I knew I was much farther ahead than I was a year ago. My eating is back under control, the pain is much improved and I am moving more once again. I am working my way back up on my exercise. My weight now is 150 and I am headed back to 145. No lower. I get a fill on the 13Th.

I will forever be grateful for this second chance at life and wish I had done it years ago (except my bmi wasn't enough). I love my band (most of the time) and appreciate it. I knew going in what the risks were and what it would and would not do for me. I knew what the statistics showed. My eyes were wide open and I knew I would have to work harder than if I had another surgery. I also knew that the band was the best fit for me. I can only say that I am happy I chose the way I did.

Thanks to all of you, my OH friends both new and old, you have helped me continue when I was sure I couldn't take another step. You have blessed me richly. God has blessed me even more so. I am one happy bandster, even if tomorrow my band were to fail, (though real statistics show that is unlikely). It happens to some and were it to happen to me I would still remain grateful for this gift.

Sue

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

barbara314
on 5/5/11 1:27 am
Happy Bandiversary, Sue!  What a great testimonial.  Enjoy all the blessings!!!
~ Barbara

psychomom
on 5/5/11 3:08 am - China Grove, NC
YAY !!!! Great job ! :)

colorado2nite
on 5/5/11 5:36 am - TX
I am so happy for you! You are such an inspiration and I hope that I can achieve what you have!!! 
Liz in Texas
YOU are worth it!

Ms_Swoosh
on 5/5/11 10:18 am - Indian Trail, NC
I am so proud of you and so very very happy for you :)

CONGRATS :)

Swoosh :)
I am a work in progress...perhaps never completed or perfected; but forever working to change for the better...
~Swoosh
   August 2012   New Dr.... New Start... Dr. David Voellinger        

Wendybrum
on 5/5/11 11:27 am - Oceanside, NY
 congrats!
wendy

cheyenne000
on 5/5/11 11:53 am
VSG on 03/25/16
Happy Bandiverary Sue

Lapband - Jan 2009 weight goal reached with lapband. Revised to VSG- 1/25/16

(deactivated member)
on 5/5/11 12:38 pm - Des Moines, IA
Happy Bandiversary Sue!  I'm so happy that you are this board.  Glad to hear the Diabetes is resolved and you aren't needing your CPAP!

I'm proud of the hard work you have done to get healthier!
Kristi
mstrip59
on 5/8/11 9:47 am
Happy, happy band day!
Most Active