It's out - and after 3 days in the hospital, I'm home.

Christine S.
on 8/5/11 11:01 am
Hi All

I wanted to make sure people who had asked for my update saw that I posted it so I am doing this as a new topic as well. I had my band 5/4/2010. Had nothing but issues with both the band and the Dr. (That is an entirely other story though. :) On Monday morning I woke up to find the port coming out of my stomach. When I say coming out I mean sticking through the skin. So, I call my new Dr. and I went to the ER  at 11:30 per my Dr.'s instructions. I was in the OR by 4pm and in my room by @ 7pm. The whole thing had to come out because it was all infected. The infection traveled from the port, down the tube to the band. I am just grateful it did not become embedded in the stomach wall b/c that would have been worse. I felt ok, just a little sore. My husband came up stayed a bit and went home. I expected to go home the next day. Well, at @ 3am Tuesday I woke up with violent chills and could not get warm. Turns out I had a 105 degree fever. After blood tests and more blood tests short story is I had a bacterial blood infection and a nasty one at that. Three days of IV antibiotics and I am finally home with 8 days more of oral antibiotics to take every 8 hours. My fever kept spiking and they couldn't figure out what the hell was wrong. AND - stupid me - when I was feeling a little better one afternoon starts watching a TV show about Sepsis!! LOL!!! NOT a good choice I can tell you! :) 

Anyway, the whole thing is gone and to be honest I don't think I want to do ANYTHING else. I have never been so scared in my life while I was in there with this blood thing. Really, really scared. Kept thinking of my kids, my husband, blah, blah, blah. Now I have an open wound in my abdomen that the visiting nurses have to come change the packing on daily and may need a wound vac to help in the healing. I had to cancel the camping trip I had booked for all of us, and there will be no more beach or pool with the kids this summer. They don't understand why and I know I am grateful I am here but I feel so bad disappointing them I cry every time I think about it.  The first surgeon was a butcher who obviously never "fixed" the port correctly or is would not have flipped and gotten infected. I have already filed a grievance with the NJ med assoc and called a lawyer. (Hell he will probably read this on here anyway since he trolls the boards...Hi A$$hole!!) I don't want money - just my bills to go away and for NO ON else to have to go through this with him. I want a mark on his record so people will know.

Sorry I couldn't get back on here sooner - I was just too tired and out of it to log in.

Thanks for listening! Hope everyone is well!

Christine

debbie H.
on 8/5/11 11:32 am - AR
OMG!  You have been to HE** and back!  I am so sorry you have had to go through all this.  Thanks though for posting and updating us.  I don't blame you one bit.  At this point I wouldn't want anything to do with WLS either.  I had a nasty infection with breast reduction surgery that had to be packed.  The surgeon offered to take out the thick scars from it without charge.  He said there was relatively little chance of infection for that.  My answer was "NO THANKS!"  At that point, no more cutting on me.  A small chance was too much of a chance.  Bless you, and keep us informed of your progress.

Nic M
on 8/5/11 1:23 pm
Oh my goodness, Christine. I've been thinking of you, wondering how you were doing. I'm so sorry that you had to go through such suffering.

Heal up. Rest and get better!!!

Nicci

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

cathiec
on 8/5/11 1:37 pm - Toms River, NJ
I am sorry you had to go through all of that. I wanted to let you know if you have to have a wound vac it not to bad my sister has one right now prior to the dr doing that she had to have three surgeries because she kept getting infections and the drains that they had prior was not working she kept getting infections this for has being going on since April. Her wound is starting to close finally the hole in her stomach was 81/3 deep and 41/2 wide it is now 71/3 deep and 21/2 wide which is great for her as she is asevere diabetic this was NOT CAUSE BT WLS she NEVER HAD IT by rather be ahernia that was wrap around her intestine that remove 6-8 inches of her intestine and she has a low inmume sustem due to she had a lung transplant last year. If you have any questions about a wound vac I might be help you as I am my sister caregiver I am NOT a nurse but have learned alot in the last two years of taking care of her
Cathie

MARIA F.
on 8/5/11 1:57 pm - Athens, GA

Sorry you have been through such an ordeal. A lot of ppl on here have a very casual outlook about the band. They think...........of well, if it doesn't work, just get it removed. Not always that easy though. It can be very serious!

Hope u feel better soon now that you've gotten it out!

FormerlyFluffy.com

sesmith
on 8/5/11 10:31 pm
 I am so sorry for all your pain. Wound vacs are great, As a nurse I am amazed how much faster wounds heal. They keep the wound clean with the suction. They look scary and it is a pain to be connected to a machine, Again, I'm so sorry.  
(deactivated member)
on 8/5/11 11:46 pm - Califreakinfornia , CA
So very happy that you have made it through this ordeal and please remember that we are here for you if you need some extra hugs.

Hislady
on 8/6/11 8:53 am - Vancouver, WA
Thank heavens you survived this ordeal, it should never have happened! Do be very vigilant abpout that wound because I've read some awful things about open wounds (not to scare you just be aware) I pray you'll recover and do well. I don't blame you for not wanting anymore surgery, I wouldn't either!
melly37
on 8/7/11 3:39 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
Sending you some healing vibes and warm hugs!!!  So sorry that your experience has been a nightmare!! 

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

Caidkin
on 8/7/11 12:07 pm - Canandaigua, NY
RNY on 07/02/12
What a terrible experience!!!!!  Hope you will be on the mend soon.  Keep the board updated!
Just had my RNY on 7.2.12!!!!  WOOHOO!!!!!         
Most Active