Minor Band Slip

jrspriggs
on 12/28/11 2:47 am - MD
Hello Everyone,

I haven't posted in a wile. But I am having a small problem, so I am looking to those who can help (and not those "told ya So's").

It appears I have a small band slip (so small the radiologist didn't see it). I am feeling fine now. But the week leading up to this was awful, couldn't hold much down and had a little pain.

My doctor emptied my band to let it heal, as it should correct itself. My problem is that I am STARVING! I am only allowed soft foods for 6 week...which is not fun at all. I am also freaked out that I have no restriction and I am super worried that I will fall back into my old ways. I hate the struggle going on in my mind. I just finished week one of softs and I am dreading the next 5.

I want to note, that even though I am having a small issues. I am in no way sorry I got my band. A slip is NOTHING compared to the life I used to live...or wasn't living!

I know their are people who have been in my shoes. How did you deal with getting your mind off having an empty band?
Jenny S
iphonelover
on 12/28/11 5:36 am
Hi Jenny,

I know how you feel. When my doc emptied my lapband I still ate instead of sticking to soft foods, which caused my band so slip even more. Monday I was put into emergency surgery for them to fix the slippage of the band. If i were you, i would stick to the soft foods so that way you do not have to deal with the surgery part again. the next 5 weeks will go by fast... just think of it this way... you will lose more weight being on soft foods for the next 5 weeks...

hope i helped
kathkeb
on 12/28/11 5:58 am
Jenny --

I have not been in your (slipped) shoes, but I have been in a place where I was afraid of gaining weight.

So, first things first ---- I don't mean to be mean, but you are not starving -- you are hungry.
You are allowed to be hungry -- but it helps me alot to take the emotion out of it and take the word starving out of my vocabulary.

Make a plan -- decide what you can eat and how often --- and then stick to it.

Greek Yogurt for an early breakfast, and then after an hour wait, some water/crystal light, etc
Applesauce for a mid-morning snack (make that an apple once you are allowed to have more solid food)

Tuna, chicken, egg salad for lunch --- add veggies when you are allowed to

Mid-afternoon snack (applesauce or more yogurt while you are on soft foods, cheese/crackers when you are on real food)

Dinner -- same as lunch, or some baked ricotta cheese
Evening snack

It helped me ALOT to have a list of things to do besides eat ---- it is was not meal time, I had to do something on that list before I could reach for food ---- anything to distract myself.

You will get through this time -- you are stronger than you think you are!!!!
Kath

dianeg49
on 12/28/11 1:30 pm
I have not had a slipped band, but I have had time of very little restriction. Stay determined to eat as if you had full restriction. (make sure its soft protein)
I told myself that I had to add an extra 10 mins of exercise ,above and beyond my normal exercise. Just in case my calories were not quite as low. Its funny I was very thoughtful before I wasted the extra 10 mins. of calories I had burned.
Check in here often, you will do fine.
Dianeg49            
S. smith
on 12/28/11 4:19 pm
sesmith
on 12/28/11 9:33 pm
 how about milk, low calorie almond milk, and low calorie chocolate milk. 
jrspriggs
on 12/28/11 11:57 pm - MD
Thanks Everyone! If you put it that way, no I am not starving, that may be a little dramatic of a word. I am just having a major battle of the mind. I normally get most of my protein by eating meat with a shake here and there when i fall short. I am not a big fan of them, so I try to get my protein elsewhere.

I have put my scale away for now, because I don't want a reminder of how much weight i will put on...and i know I will. I lost 6lbs. in 5 days because I couldnt keep anything down.

I am eating oatmeal, yogurt, refried beans, eggs, lots of soup and drinking milk and tons of water. It just feels like I am never full after I eat what I would normally eat...and I can't get my mind off of it...I hate the mind struggle!
Jenny S
Most Active