Lab tests

Amy D.
on 2/6/12 10:49 pm - Stratford, Canada
This may be a silly question from someone like me who is three years out but just wondering what tests everyone has on a somewhat regular basis post-op?  I am meeting my new family doctor on Friday and want to hand him a list of tests I want to have done.  I have only had blood work done once since my surgery three years ago.  My old family doc said it was my surgeon's responsibilty to order things post op and my surgeon said it was my family doc's.
Amy      
Lap Band February 12, 2009...visit my blog for updates! 

oso1026
on 2/7/12 3:41 am - Canada
Hi there

I am not post-op yet I am having surgery the 8th of March. But my family dr is ordering, b12, iron and Vitamin D. As well as a regular old CBC.

SueBee01
on 2/7/12 5:46 am - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
I know my family care practioner would order anything I need. I think you need a FCP that you have this relationship with, if not, I would suggest finding a new one. The one you have may not be comfortable with WLS.
 Sue

Donnamarie
on 2/7/12 10:55 am - NY
It's not a silly question and I hope some more long-term Bandsters will be answering this question as well.

The way I understood it is since we don't malabsorb our nutrients the vitamin regime wasn't as necessary as for those with other non-restrictive WLS. 

For myself I take a multi-vitamin, biotin, B-12, calcium and L-lysine.  The L-lysine is for me alone as I get a lot of coldsores, it's totally not WLS related.  I don't take an iron supplement because honestly it constipates me, LOL I know, TMI.

But I'm interested to see if others do yearly bloods and things like that.  I would imagine if I was tired or run down or confused about some physical thing I was feeling, I would be compelled to go for bloodwork.  But since that's not the case, I haven't gone.  I am not a year out yet of course, and I will probably check in with my PCP soon, but I remain curious!!!

"Accountability first to yourself, then nobody else matters"

Hislady
on 2/7/12 2:57 pm - Vancouver, WA
My surgeon said like the other one did that since we don't malabsorb to just take the 2 multi vits and that I didn't need any special blood work done.
Lisa O.
on 2/8/12 2:05 am - Snoqualmie, WA
My surgeon does extensive blood work and an upper GI every anniversary.  I really like it because it gives me peace of mind that all is well.  Is it absolutely necessary?  Probably not unless you are having issues with tightness, reflux, feeling overly tired, etc. 

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Nikki C.
on 2/8/12 3:44 am - Gaithersburg, MD
I generally get a CBC done every 6 months and that is my own choice to just check on my levels (including cholesterol, thyroid etc).  I have done this since surgery and before that annually.  And thankfully I have because a few things have come up on them for which I needed to be treated.

Also my PCP gives me B-12 shots to help me with my energy level and they seem to help some.  I just had one yesterday and she is recommending them monthly for me. 

My surgeon gets copies if he needs them.  Although I have had Upper GIs done when problems were present.  I would LOVE if my Dr. did them every year for peace of mind! 

In my honest opinion I think it's good for everyone in general to get a physical including blood work once a year.  I am never too cautious about being as preventative and proactive as I possibly can with my own body!

(deactivated member)
on 2/8/12 8:56 am
Upper GI anually, I get blood test due to hypo tyroidism. I take that and the GI video to the WL doc. That's it.
Most Active