Stress....Unfill or Not - I don't know!

Nikki C.
on 3/1/12 12:08 am - Gaithersburg, MD
I've been having these off and on episodes with this dull chest pain for a couple weeks now.  Stressful events both work and home seem to be buidling.  Sometimes at home or on weekends I'm fine and can eat fine no discomfort or dull pains.  So I've continued to associate this with stress.

Yesterday I had a bad episode of sliming.  Liquids are going down fine, I haven't been eating much to begin with since this all started.

I'm super sore today, had hot tea this morning and drinking water now.  I'm hungry...I feel hunger pangs but I don't even want to attempt mushies  - I am feeling that much discomfort (with the stress on top of it - I barely got ANY sleep last night)

On one hand I'm thinking stick to liquids and let things calm down and re-evaluate in a few days or see how I am feeling when some of this stress subsides, but on the other hand which is paranoid from reading everyone else's problems, I'm thinking of getting an unfill...maybe a complete unfill or at least half until I combat all this stress that's going on. I don't have much in my band to begin with so taking half out probably will not be that drastic.

I know I need to let my episode from yesterday calm down because if I am feeling like I am, I am probably very swollen, but I honestly do not know if I am just freaking myself out here and making things worse or what!!!!!!!!  

I'm indecisive...been back and forth about calling the doctor this morning but I haven't picked up the phone...................

Celeste H.
on 3/1/12 12:48 am - Cedar Park, TX
Revision on 05/12/14
Stress affects my band SO MUCH, so I can sympathize. But I would suggest against a total unfill. Might cause you MORE stress in the end, because your body will regain weight and then you're back to the hard-core losing state again.

Celeste in Austin, TX  - Licensed Professional Counselor - Clinical Supervisor 
LapBanded February 18, 2008; 3 slips and nearly a death later, had band removal then a revision to VSG on May 12, 2014; best decision ever!!!        

debbie H.
on 3/1/12 3:47 am - AR
Are you having any reflux with all this discomfort?  I have no idea what your doctor's office is like, but mine would definately want me to call.  With their experience, they may have some good ideas to help you deal with the stress to keep it from affecting your band.  How frustrating for you!  Good Luck.

Guernica Loser
on 3/1/12 5:42 am
 I learned the hard way....if it's causing you to puke or makes you eat mushies then GET IT UNFILLED  JUST A BIT.  You will end up gaining rather than losing if you keep it too tight :(  I'm better with it loser and just being more mindfful of what I'm eating.  You don't want a slip or anything.

I've been on prednisone and chemo for over 7.5 years.  Gained over 160 pounds due to pred. Highest wt. 410. Surgery wt. 365. Current wt. 299
See ya,400s, 90s,80s,70s, 60s, 50s, 40s, 30s, 20s, 10s 300s!!!!  

cheynne03
on 3/1/12 6:03 am, edited 3/1/12 6:03 am - West Monroe, LA
Stress is a key factor in my band tightening up.  That and sinus problems.  I have had my band reduced to about 5.0 just because of the sinus problems and stress at work.  I will keep my band loser to try and avoid the possible problems associated with it being too tight.  Yes I am struggling to not gain weight but I wasnt really working very hard at it before, so now I am.  Trade off.  Better than losing my band and gaining it all back.  (God Forbid)

Theresa

S 254/C168/G150   
          "Patience is the companion of wisdom."  St. Augustine

michele1
on 3/1/12 6:53 am
Revision on 07/07/15
I know this has been happening on and off but it has been going on for awhile now.....you'd might want to get a slight unfill (not a total like I did, the regain has caused some stress lol).

In my opinion a little unfill will go a long way..........you don't want to have major issues or do any harm but having this go on and on....I know it can be an inconvenience to get to the Surgeons office but you can always have it adjusted after the slight unfill..............sounds like you and your body need a rest, that is not a way to live.....

Keep us posted,

Michele
rebecca110
on 3/1/12 7:05 am - Milledgeville, GA
Probably a small unfill.  At one point I could not even drink and just removing 1 cc took care of the problem.  It did take a few days for everything to calm down after that.

The main thing is call the doctor and see what they say.  Mine leaves a lot of it up to me which is not always good.

Hislady
on 3/1/12 8:01 am - Vancouver, WA
I absolutely agree tightness to the degree where it causes that much discomfort requires at least a partial unfill. The longer it goes on the more trouble you are inviting! My band continued to tighten until I finally had it totally emptied just so I could eat real food again. If there is no immediate end to the stress you will just continue to irritate the stomach and end up with serious problems!
Nikki C.
on 3/1/12 8:42 am - Gaithersburg, MD
My chests pains really got worse today and I knew it was either today or tomorrow I'd have to make the decision to go....

I went today and talked to my surgeon and explained everything that has been going on for the last two weeks and  he immediately said unfill. He took out 1cc and said I needed to give things a rest and to call him in a week to let him know how things are going and to give him peace of mind that the unfill has helped...if not we'll take if from there.

I also brought up a few general band concerns I've had that I never talked to a doctor about and only learned about from other OHer's. Considering so many stories of people getting band removal and revisions, I straight up told him that I am freaked out a bit and asked him what his follow up protocol is for band patients regarding routine barium swallows and upper gi's to just check on things....I simply said if something ever does go wrong - I don't want it to end up being too late. And he said if you feel something is wrong just call me! and then proceeded to say, I will take care of you like I would one of my family members so I guess that is good to know (this surgeon is not my original surgeon).  What I really wanted to ask him but didn't was how many bands has he removed or revised...probably something my worrisome self doesn't need to know! 

Being that we did an upper GI and barium swallow last April, he said it was not necessary to do another at this time.  I had no damage to my esophagus and no dialation and my pouch was fine. and my band was in place. I asked him to explain the dialation thing to me more since I'm hearing more and more about it...he said if the esophagus dialates then the band would be removed and I asked him does it have to be and he said no but a complete unfill does have to happen first. He didn't seem overly concerned about, however, meaning that the majority of his band patients don't experience this.

I expressed tha after having the band  I understand the things that can go wrong with it that I had not known before surgery and I fully admitted I'm far from a poster child for LapBand and sometimes I have episodes in my eating habits/behaviors that perhaps push the limits!  I would guess that many of us do but I can only speak for myself! 

He told me that I've done well up to this point and to stop worrying and if something happens to take it from there. 

So I am going to take it very light on foods over the next few days, try to calm this stress down a little bit, let things rest and try not to continue to be so anxious...when I actually THINK about my band that's when things go all haywire...when I just go about my days ordinarly, I'm usually fine! 

I do hope this unfill is what I needed! 

SueBee01
on 3/1/12 9:37 am - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
Great news! Hope you feel better soon. Take a hot bath, read a book, have a relaxing evening!

Sue

Most Active