What do you wish non banders understood about you

Cathy B.
on 3/1/12 2:13 pm - Lutz, FL
 I was in a weigh****cher group created by my daughter.  When she found out I was tightening my band again, she asked me to drop out. She said it wasn't fair and would discourage others. I wish she understood that although I have a help, that I still have to work at it. The other thought is that my mom did not understand why I was not as thin as her friend who had gastric by pass surgery. She lost fast. However she recently started gaining back and stretched her stomach and is starting over too. Some also have looked at me as if I should not be eating and only drinking meals. Anyone else have these scenarios ?

rebecca110
on 3/1/12 9:03 pm - Milledgeville, GA
Yes, that is why I haven't told most of my friends what I am doing.  I struggle everyday to try to loose weight and I am very tight.
sflow67
on 3/1/12 9:57 pm
unfortunately i shared with too many people and i am experiencing the same thing as you Cathy. I have Co-workers constantly telling me about how they know this person who had this procedure or that procedure done and they lost all their weight so quickly, then you get the blank stare from them as if they want to say why havent you lost all your weight yet. I am constantly telling them that i am not this person or that person and that everyone's Wls experience is different not right or wrong just different. But what ever i know that when im up at the crack of dawn to go walking that all my hard work is and will continue to pay off. I am slowly but surely letting the negative nelly's comments go in one ear and out the other. Life is too short to worry about them, especially since some of them are bigger than me and are doing absolutely nothing to address their own issues (ok that last part wasnt necessary but dammit it felt good to say it LOL) Ok im done my rant for the day. (steps down from soap box and passes the mike to someone else) NEXT
Bette B.
on 3/1/12 10:06 pm
 Your DAUGHTER asked you to drop out? And you mom questions your choices? They both need to be told to shut up. YOU are doing this for YOUR health, and you shouldn't have to answer to anyone (especially not someone you carried around in your body for 9 months.)

Feel free to go to someone ELSE'S WW meetings and give THEM your money instead. And a simple, polite, "stay out of it" or "myob" never hurts.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

sfnativewm
on 3/1/12 11:15 pm
I am not trying to bash your daughter but Weigh****chers here in california never asks someone to leave that has had weightloss surgery.   If anything they guide them in the healthy eating. 

Your daughter perhaps needs to be more confident in her group teaching and never compare one to another.

Good luck to you!

~Ann~
Band removed and feeling alive with energy!

ohbearly
on 3/1/12 11:40 pm - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13

Cathy,

I have been a long time WW member. When I went through surgery I told my leader. She was cool with it. I just asked her to not make a deal with my celebrations when I reached goals. Over the past 3 ½ years, most of my WW buddies came to know I had surgery. They ALL support me. I love the concept of Weigh****chers. The accountability and meetings where you get positive messages and support help me on my maintenance and staying true to my diet.

Now for the one thing I would like people to know about me and my surgery:  Yes, I can eat just about anything. If I eat something that may not be the healthiest, I am not a failure and about to gain all my weight back. I now know how to eat sensibly and look after my health. If I want to enjoy a sweet treat then I know how to fit it into my eating for the day and account for the calories. And, I won’t become violently sick if I eat a cookie. I know my limits and may only eat half the cookie.

Tom

Follow my journey to a happy, healthy, active life at TomBilcze.com 

Celeste H.
on 3/2/12 12:34 am - Cedar Park, TX
Revision on 05/12/14
That even though I've lost 129 pounds and I wear a size 10 jeans, I'm STILL not in the normal weight range for my height so please don't bash me when I say I still have 30 pounds to lose. Yes, you might think I'm too skinny or that my face looks too gaunt, and you  might see some bones stick out that you've never seen before, but it is MY body and I paid for the surgery, so let me make my own choices.

Celeste in Austin, TX  - Licensed Professional Counselor - Clinical Supervisor 
LapBanded February 18, 2008; 3 slips and nearly a death later, had band removal then a revision to VSG on May 12, 2014; best decision ever!!!        

tripmom02
on 3/2/12 12:35 am - NJ
 I wish people in general would not assume that ANY WLS = easy to lose or keep off the weight. It's work and sweat and tears, and we deserve just as much respect for our losses as those who have done it "natrually" (that word right there makes me see RED).

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Wendybrum
on 3/2/12 1:06 am - Oceanside, NY
 I wish people would understand it is a tool not the magic pill. 
I wish they knew how much hard work was involved.
I wish they knew to myob
i wish they would not think they know more about the band then you cause their friend has it too.
I wish they would realize it is not a cookie cutter device each of us is different and this have different experiences.
Does that answer your question?
About thour daughter and WW I agree with Bette!
Wendy
Lori R.
on 3/2/12 4:20 am - Manhattan, KS
I wish that when eating out and I have to use the bathroom, it's not ALWAYS because I going to be sick.  Sometimes ya just gotta pee!
Most Active