Thinking about Lap Band

Mike300856
on 5/23/12 1:38 am
Hello everyone. This is my 1st post on here, just joined the site. So I am 29, new father of a beautiful 6mo old girl. I have been battling weight since I was a kid, and quite frankly, I am sick of it. I lost almost 50lbs last year, doing WW and living at the gym. Once my daughter was born, my life changed and the diet stopped, going to the gym had stopped due to lack of time. Gained almost 30lbs back.

I have been thinking about this for years, and I am finally growing a pair to take the first step. I think this is the safest procedure out there, but I do want to meet with a doctor and discuss. I am from NJ, and if anyone can get back to me and give me advice and support, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Mike
Cheryl N.
on 5/23/12 2:23 am - Des Moines, WA
Don't stop research at just lapband.  Research other surgeries such as sleeve, bypass, DS.  Read the threads on this board, there are good and bad stuff about the band.  Please make an informed decision for your needs. 

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Jenna H.
on 5/23/12 3:10 am
Mike - I know the EXACT feeling of not feeling like you have enough time to take care of "YOU" when you have a baby at home! I had always been overweight, but I really started to put on the pounds when I had a baby and it seemed that I just stopped taking care of myself - focusing on her needs constantly. What you need to remember is that you need to take care of your little girls dad! She needs you around for the long run, so it is great that you are looking into your options! I was banded on 2/16/2012 and it was THE BEST decision that I could have ever made for myself! I would definitely say DO YOUR RESEARCH, but after researching I knew that the band was what I needed and wanted to do for myself! I have lost over 60lbs in the past 3 months and I feel AMAZING! I am not gonna lie..... it isn't easy, but what weight loss is? You have to make the committment to follow the right eating plan (protein first) and WORK OUT! There is no other option! BUT it gets to be easy and you develop a routine that works for you! Instead of worrying about what you are going to do with your baby while you are working out.... take her with you on a long walk! As long as you are getting in some sort of workout......

If you want to see or hear more from my experience - I have started making YTube videos to document my entire journey! It is something I do for myself to really hold myself accountable! My name on YTube is JennasBandedJourney!

Best of luck to you!! 
Jen_CRT
on 5/23/12 3:32 am - Banner, KY
Having the Lap Band surgery was the best decision I've ever made. I totally understand how you feel. I have battled my weight my whole life. I lost a total of 134 pounds and regained 55 pounds during my recent pregnancy. I have lost 32 pound of that weight gain. I love my band, but it's not a miracle worker. Good food choices and exercise should be added to your daily routine and always follow the band rules.

The are many different types of WLS so please do the research and find out what's best for you and your lifestyle. There are risk in ALL WLS's. Your best option is being informed and choosing a experienced surgeon.

Nic M
on 5/23/12 3:36 am
Hi Mike,

You should start your research by reading here:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/a,messageboard/bo ard_id,5360/

Also, don't believe the advertising about the lapband or realize band... it's not "reversible." It might be removable, but there will likely be damage in the form of scar tissue and adhesions.

Another thing to be aware of is the prevalence of referred left shoulder pain in banded patients. Google - Referred left shoulder pain + lapband. Or Vagus nerves + lapband.  In the abstract, it sounds like no big deal... in reality, it can range from simply annoying to excruciatingly painful.

Best of luck to you with whatever you decide.

Nic

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

tripmom02
on 5/23/12 4:16 am - NJ
 Hey I am from NJ too! I am in the shore area, my surgeon is amazing (not sure how far you are from my area though). Look into all your options regarding WLS, it's a bit overwhelming but it's worth it to make sure you are making the right deicison. 

Good luck in whatever you decide and feel free to PM me if you have any questions at all! 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Mike300856
on 5/23/12 4:30 am
I am in Old Bridge.... would like any and ALL info on doctors and such..

thanks
tripmom02
on 5/23/12 4:34 am, edited 5/23/12 4:35 am - NJ
If you look under my screen name, you will see a clickable link to Dr. Seun, it will give you all the information on him. I had my surgery in Center-State in Freehold, but I believe he goes to other hospitals too, you just have to check his website. The staff there is amazing, they take good care of you from start to finish!

I do not have a Lap Band anymore, had to have a revision because of complications and I now have the Vertical Sleeve (and LOVE it). Dr. Seun does do 3 out of the 4 WLS procedures (at least I am pretty sure he does not do the DS), if you give the office a call they can give you information on their seminars and support group meeting times.

Tom C.
on 5/23/12 6:38 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Mike,

First I am from NJ, and there is a NJ board you may want to check too. Also feel free to PM me, and I will give you my contact info. No matter what operation, if any at all, know I will be here to help you.

With that said, I had the Realize band 4+ years ago. For me it was the best thing I could have done. I have lost over 200 pounds (220 was my lightest). However my results aren’t typical, and I started at 435 pounds. Your results will be different

Folks are correct, read the GOOD and BAD about this, and ALL OPERATIONS. The truth is, none of the operations are 100% successful or failures. And there is NOTHING EASY about it. I have admitted numerous of times I am an addict, and food is my vice. I need to work, and battle, every day.

Good luck.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
tripmom02
on 5/23/12 1:38 pm - NJ
 Hey, I am originally from Belleville! We should get a NJ WLS lunch together or something, could be fun! 

Most Active