Starting a family . . . two years post-op

midwiferywoman
on 6/9/12 12:31 pm
VSG on 12/04/15
I posted this message on the pregnancy board but haven't gotten any responses so far!  I hope someone on this board might have some input for me.  Thanks! :)

I haven't been on this board in FOREVER! But I am just over two years post-op from my lap band and DH and I have started trying to get pregnant!

Thing is, I have been kinda stuck at this same weight for about the last year.  And now that we just "pulled the goalie" as the hubby likes to say, I'm wishing I had been more focused on my weight loss for the last several months! I am about 188-190 and for my height I should be btwn 130-140.  Honestly, I'd be thrilled at 150!!  But I feel like I've lost my "mojo" or whatever!

I know I need to get back to basics to I can get as healthy as possible before we concieve . . . any encouragement or help would be very welcome!  I've been working out very regualrly (usually at the gym 4-6 days a week!) but the food part is the hard part.  I have decent restriction but I think I've probably picked up some bad habits that kinda let me "eat around" the band.  I need to refocus . . .

And if anyone on here has gone or is going through pregnancy after the band (seems like all the posts are RNY etc) I'd love to hear about it!!   Did you have to empty your band in order eat enough for pregnancy? My hubby is very concerned about that and is going to want me to empty it . . . but I'm really worried that is going to be a slippery slope!

Thanks in advance for your wise words! :)

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit" -Aristotle
SW: 237lbs | Lap Band Feb 2010 | LW: 188lbs | Post op baby Feb 2013 | July 2015 slipped band diagnosed | Oct 2015 band port eroded through adominal wall | 10/20/15 lap band removed | Regained to 215lbs | VSG: 12/4/2015 | LW: 148lbs but settled around 154lbs | Post-op baby #2 born Jan 2018 | CW: 160lbs

Hislady
on 6/9/12 2:28 pm - Vancouver, WA
I know there are several ladies who have gone thru pregnancy with their bands and not all of them have had the band emptied. I think they usually play it by ear depending on how well they can eat so it will be up to you and your OB probably to determine how you go with that. Hopefully the mommies will be on tomorrow during the day, myself I left those days behind long ago! It always helps to just go back to band basics and eat protein first, then veggies and IF room a healthy carb. Be sure to measure your food on to your plate, don't eyeball it cause our eyes are horrible liars. Journaling always helps me, that keeps me more accountable to what I'm eating. That should get you started back on track, good luck!
Tom C.
on 6/9/12 9:45 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

firstly - CONGRATS

secondly - While I have never been pregnant (yet) I would strongly suggest speaking to your Doctor and see a Baritaric Nutritionists concerning this. They will guide you better than anyone else.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Heather :o)
on 6/10/12 12:09 am
I got pregnant after 9 months of the band, after 90 lbs lost and close to goal. I started trying to conceive thinking it would take a while and if get more weight off before I got preg but I got pregnant the first time I tried. I left my band filled, hormonally it was a bit tight at the beginning of pregnancy and also at the first post partum weeks. My son is 6 now, and I am down 115 lbs and technically at goal but id still like to lose more.

I am guessing by your name you are a midwife? If so im sure you know weight gain recommendations based on BMI, so if you get pregnant now, whatever the weight is try to adhere to the guidelines and than it will be easier to lose after baby is born. I am a high risk OB nurse and I actually just wrote a teaching guideline regarding pregnancy after bariatric surgery. So I do have a lot of info if you have any other questions.

Also as far as your eating, you sound aware of what you need to change, just keep your eye on the prize, a healthy body makes for a healthier baby. Also make sure your taking a prenatal vitamin with at least 400mcg of folic acid daily (most pnv have 900mcg) while you are trying to conceive!

Best of luck!
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
midwiferywoman
on 6/10/12 4:35 am
VSG on 12/04/15
 Thanks for the input, everyone! I was starting to think I wasn't going to get any feedback! :)

Sun Salutation . . . I was a midwife when I lived in Florida but now I am an RN too.  But I'm not any where near OB as a nurse, it's just too different from what I used to do as a midwife! :)
Thanks for sharing your story and congrats on the 115lbs!!! Thats freakin' awesome!! And It really helps to know that you were able to have a healthy pregnancy without getting unfilled! How did you do with weight gain during the pregnancy?  I know I should probably not gain more than 15 lbs based on my BMI.  I know it's going to be a challenge.  One of my biggest challenges right now is PMS cravings so I can only imagine the cravings/hormonal surges during pregnancy are much stronger! :)  
I'm taking a prenatal vitamin, extra folic acid and vitamin D.  And I'm really trying hard to get my diet on track.  
Thats great that you just wrote some patient education on nutrition for pregnancy after bariatric surgery.  I'd love to hear more about it.
Thanks again for the input! :)

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit" -Aristotle
SW: 237lbs | Lap Band Feb 2010 | LW: 188lbs | Post op baby Feb 2013 | July 2015 slipped band diagnosed | Oct 2015 band port eroded through adominal wall | 10/20/15 lap band removed | Regained to 215lbs | VSG: 12/4/2015 | LW: 148lbs but settled around 154lbs | Post-op baby #2 born Jan 2018 | CW: 160lbs

Heather :o)
on 6/11/12 9:47 pm
On June 10, 2012 at 11:35 AM Pacific Time, midwiferywoman wrote:
 Thanks for the input, everyone! I was starting to think I wasn't going to get any feedback! :)

Sun Salutation . . . I was a midwife when I lived in Florida but now I am an RN too.  But I'm not any where near OB as a nurse, it's just too different from what I used to do as a midwife! :)
Thanks for sharing your story and congrats on the 115lbs!!! Thats freakin' awesome!! And It really helps to know that you were able to have a healthy pregnancy without getting unfilled! How did you do with weight gain during the pregnancy?  I know I should probably not gain more than 15 lbs based on my BMI.  I know it's going to be a challenge.  One of my biggest challenges right now is PMS cravings so I can only imagine the cravings/hormonal surges during pregnancy are much stronger! :)  
I'm taking a prenatal vitamin, extra folic acid and vitamin D.  And I'm really trying hard to get my diet on track.  
Thats great that you just wrote some patient education on nutrition for pregnancy after bariatric surgery.  I'd love to hear more about it.
Thanks again for the input! :)
Im not sure what your BMI is but overweight recommendations are a 15-25 lb gain, obese is 11-20. I gained about 27 lbs with my son but it was off in a matter of two weeks.

When you do become pregnant continue eating like you are but add an additional 300 calories a day, thats all pregnancy requires. Continue exercise as well. Walking, swimming and prenatal yoga are great low impact aerobic exercises, as long as you are not on any prescribed activity restriction or at any increased risk for preterm labor daily exercise is recommended. I know from my third prgnancy that was pre-band the value of that exercise, I always gained excessive amounts with my pregnancies (70+lbs each) so baby #3 I was motivated to not gain so much, I did goofd until my fourth month bc I was doing the treadmill 3 mph, 30 minutes a day, than I hurt my back and was told no exercise, after that I blew up like a blow fish. During my post band pregnancy I kept my membership at the ymca and id do the treadmill, elliptical, and swim.

One thing regarding you thinking your going to have major cravings, of my own experience as well as bariatric friends, and than backed up with the research I did for teaching guideline, women who are s/p WLS no matter the type are at higher risk for extreme n/v, so hopefully that wont happen to you but if it does your craving will be for something like zofran, not food. Also another thing and there is no research that has uncovered the reason for this, but post WLS pregnancies have a higher rate of c/s delivery. I am sure with your background as a midwife you will do fine advocating for yourself though when it comes down to that matter.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
Jen_CRT
on 6/11/12 10:48 am - Banner, KY
Hi! I am 10 weeks post op from having DD. During my pregnancy I gained a total of 55 pounds. I had 1 cc removed do to tightness at 9 weeks. Giving me a total of 7 cc's. From the moment I became pregnant to 3 days after my c section I had no restriction. I was able to eat everything. I have lost 39 pounds so far and have restriction. I would just play it by ear on the fills and talk and be open with you Dr. Good luck!!!!

Most Active