considering

XamerzX
on 8/13/12 10:10 am
 Hey all so I am. Considering the lap band. Cost scares me, none of it is covered that I know of. I am in Manitoba Canada and best way would be to go to Ontario. How do people feel about the cost. Is it worth it in the end?
grannymedic1
on 8/13/12 10:24 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
If I were self pay I would probably not get a band. The after care can be very expensive. Fills run from $150-250 and you will need several at best. Unfills cost the same, and I have had several of those due to the tissue surrounding the band swelling. I have loved my band but my advice to you would be to choose one of the other proceedures.

Good luck to you, and congrats on taking the first steps toward a whole new lfe.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

XamerzX
on 8/13/12 10:32 am
 There isn't much here option wise. Wait lists for other things are like 5 years or so and at 325lbs I don't see myself having that Much time. With cost of band the place I would go actually covers cost of fills as well. As far as I know. I have a phone meeting in a half hour to discuss things 
Kelleigh710
on 8/13/12 10:57 am
I went to Mexico and paid $5,000 for mine. I have a doctor here in Boston that does my aftercare and fills for $150.00. Let us know how your phone consult goes and see what's included!
MARIA F.
on 8/13/12 11:38 am - Athens, GA

I was self-pay also and I would not wish the band on my worst enemy. It has been a complete waste of money! A lot of Canadians go to Mexico for VSG. That is a much better option!!!

FormerlyFluffy.com

XamerzX
on 8/13/12 11:39 am
So I talked to the lady from Slimband, aka lapband, and it is 16,000 for the whole thing, that includes a life time support as well as all the fills and stuff that go along with the surgery.  They do payments which equals 89 bucks a week for 5 years with 500 bucks down..  So many decisions.. What does everyone think?
MARIA F.
on 8/13/12 2:29 pm - Athens, GA
On August 13, 2012 at 11:39 AM Pacific Time, XamerzX wrote:
So I talked to the lady from Slimband, aka lapband, and it is 16,000 for the whole thing, that includes a life time support as well as all the fills and stuff that go along with the surgery.  They do payments which equals 89 bucks a week for 5 years with 500 bucks down..  So many decisions.. What does everyone think?

*IF* it worked it would be a good investment. Unfortunately, the band doesn't work for most long term, and in fact doesn't even work for some short term! Lap-Bands are very much a crap shoot. I would suggest reading on the revision forum and seeing how many bandsters are revising to a more effective WLS.

Good luck!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Hislady
on 8/13/12 12:12 pm - Vancouver, WA
Knowing what I know now I would never ever advise anyone to get a lap band. It is the least effective of all weight loss surgeries, it is not designed  to be used long term only 5-10 yrs, causes serious scar tissue build up under the band and is never a good choice for someone who needs to lose over 100 lbs. It would be a total waste of your hard earned money and won't help you lose much weight at all, maybe 50 lbs if you are lucky. Oh sure there are a few people here who have lost alot but they are in the minority. Many of us have never gotten a good restriction level and are either too tight or too loose no matter how we are filled. And what happens if this company goes out of business then what? Please I beg you research the other options, it is better to wait 5 yrs and get one that will work than to beat your head against the wall trying to make the band work!
XamerzX
on 8/13/12 12:15 pm
Hi,
I have read your great dislike for the lap band on a lot of what I have read, thank you for your input, I have also looked into all the other surgerys, they are to invasive, too much down time, too long a wait time and at 26 weighing 325lbs and a BMI of 56 I could die basically and that isn't what I want when I have two young kids that depend on me.  Now I understand you had a great problem and I have read a lot of success.  So thank you again for your input.
tripmom02
on 8/13/12 12:31 pm - NJ
At your weight, good luck with that. Chances are you will continue to be morbidly obese even with the band (and those are statistics speaking, not my opinion). The band is no less invasive then other surgeries and can do and leave behind just as much (if not more) damage then others, it can also kill you too (I know, been there, done that). 

So again, good luck, but make sure you base your decision on FACT and now what you think you know about the procedure. 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Most Active