Struggling...

cflask
on 9/2/12 5:14 pm
So I'm a little over a month out with my lapband. Everything has been ok up until this point really. I'm starting to feel hungry, and when I eat I don't stay full for very long. I've been making all good food choices up until today, when I had a few peices of chocolate, but then felt like crap later. But other than that, I get all my fluids in, make sure I eat all my protein, measure out all my meals... I don't know what I can do any differently. I'm set to get my first fill in October, but I'm not sure I can wait that long..

Has anyone else dealt with this?

Is there anything I should try, or something I'm overlooking?
Jo 1962
on 9/2/12 6:24 pm - NearHouston, TX
Everything is going as it should  :) ...you are in that time called bandster Hell...the time between surgery and your first fill.  As the swelling has gone down, you feel hungrier.  And you will until you get a fill (or two or three).  It took me 3 fills during the first year to find my "green zone" where I was satisfied for 3-4 hours and not starving all the time!    Keep drinking lots of water and eat enough protein. It helps to keep you satisfied longer.

Welcome to the Losers bench!

Jolena

5.0 cc in a 10cc lapband  (four  fills) 1 unfill of .5cc  on 5/24/2011.
.5 fill  March 2012. unfill of .25cc May 2012.  Unfill of .5cc June 2014.

Still with my lapband with no plans for revision. Band working well since

last small unfill.

HW: 267lbs- size 22-24  LW:194lbs  CW:198lbs  Size 14-16

kathkeb
on 9/2/12 8:24 pm
Sounds pretty normal --- you should try to get in sooner for your first fill.

I got mine at 4 weeks post op (no saline in the band at the time of the surgery) -- and then every 3 or 4 weeks after that for several months.

Call your doctor and ask if you can get in sooner.

If not -- schedule your eating so you get something every few hours

B -- 200 - 300 calories  (greek yogurt or 2 eggs/cheese/veggie)
Snack -- 100 calories (banana or string cheese)
Lunch -- 200 - 300 calories (protein/veggie -- I ate alot of tuna salad with veggie and a few crackers)
Snack -- 100 calories (fruit or string cheese/6 wheat thins)
Dinner 200-300 calories (protein/veggie, grain)
Snack -- 100 calories (low-fat pudding or yogurt or fruit etc)

this will give you 900 -1,200 calories -- with no-cal fluids in between
Kath

vlp1968
on 9/3/12 2:54 am
I agree- to wait 2 months post op to get a fill seems like a long time. I too got my first one 4 wks post op. Be aware that the first fill or 2 may not do anything. It took me 3 fills to get any restriction. That seems to be the case for many people on this site. Call and ask to talk to one of the nurses, she may be able to get an earlier appt. for you. That has been how I have handled it when I wanted to be seen right away, they were actually for unfills. Good luck!
SueBee01
on 9/3/12 10:57 am - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
Pay attention to what is head hungry too. That is something that may or may not go away in time. But, you have to learn what is real hunger and what is head hunger. I had a lot of head hunger and you have to keep yourself busy to get over that. Talk to your NUT too, I am still on only two meals a day and a snack at about 500 calories. I have had one fill at six weeks and am 7 months out. Keep track of what you are eating (log it) and revirpew it with your NUT so they can better advise you on what is best for you. I had/have a lot to loose (over 150) and I thinks that makes a difference too.

Good luck!
 Sue

grannymedic1
on 9/4/12 9:37 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
So, you haven't blown anything, but you are finding out that you have a problem, just like the rest of us.
I was one who was extremely hungry from day one so I know how you feel. You are just shy of the phase of eating dense protein so that should help you out when you hit it. In the meantime try eating a protein snack about every 2 hours. It doesn't have to be much to make a big difference. I also found that helped because I could tell myself that I only had 2 hours to go before I could have something else. It is not likely to make a real difference in weight loss as long as you are careful but even then, so what. Until you get some restriction the name of the game is doing the best you can.
Good luck

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

cflask
on 9/16/12 8:35 am
Thanks for all the great answers! This helps a lot!
pineview01
on 9/16/12 9:05 am - Davison, MI
Your normal.  The tummy is getting over the swelling from surgery. 
You don't have any restriction.  This is telling you it needs a fill.  They
call this banders hell.  Just hang in there.  Your normal and doing fine.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active