Hip pain

SueBee01
on 12/1/12 10:27 am - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
Was hoping WLS and losing 135 pounds so far would help my problem, but it hasn't! I finally broke down and went to the doctor. First had a lower back MRI to see if I had pinched nerves since it has been going on so long and appeared to be moving around. Been to PT twice in the past year to try to strenghten the hip and core muscles. The MRI says my back is beautiful. Well, that is great news but didn't help with the hip pain.

Then I headed off to the Ortho dr and after a simple xray he says you have terrible DJD with several bone spurs. So pretty much bone on bone around my entire left hip. He has put me on Mobic ( went off Celebrex when I had WLS back in Jan.) and I go in for a Cortesone shot on Monday. I am not a happy camper, but hope that the shot helps? I am scared to death of the shot. Has anyone had this done?

I guess if it doesn't work then we look into a hip replacement.

Keep your fingers crossed for me. I am so ready to be able to walk again. It has been a long two years. Been working out in the pool for a year now and need some change!
 Sue

MARIA F.
on 12/1/12 10:32 am - Athens, GA

I would suggest checking with a chiropractor also. Hope you feel better soon!

FormerlyFluffy.com

SueBee01
on 12/1/12 11:09 pm - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
I went through the chiropractor for four weeks of treatment first. Then had the lower back MRI based on his recommendation, but that was good. So now they all agree with the DJD and bone spurs. I am thinking of acupuncture too. I'll see how the shot goes.
 Sue

looking4hope
on 12/1/12 1:17 pm

I hope the shots work!

Highest 317 6/1 start pre-op diet312 6/15 2 days before surgery303 6/22 5 days post-op296  6/28 11 days post-op  290 7/5 18 days post-op 288 8/19 10 weeks post-op 278 9/10 274 11/6 268 2/18 257 3/26 249 5/14 237

Jaiart
on 12/1/12 9:24 pm - MI
Had shots in my spine some years ago. The 3rd injection worked. Hopefully you will improve. I haven't had back trouble since my DS surgery. The shots do wear off. At least mine where.

Jean M.
on 12/1/12 9:45 pm
Revision on 08/16/12

I've had cortisone shots in both hips to treat chronic trocanter bursitis. Out of maybe 10 shots, only 1 hurt. A lidocaine injection can help numb the area before the cortisone shot, but the 1 time it hurt me, it wasn't the needle stick that hurt - the pain was too deep for that. The other times, all I felt was pressure - kind of like I used to feel getting a saline injection in my port.

My ortho doc won't give me any more cortisone shots because of the risk of damage to the joints. My internist thinks the risk is low, but I don't ask for a shot unless I'm really miserable because I don't need joint damage on top of the bursitis. The shots help a lot but the effect wears off in 6-8 weeks, so the shots are not a long term solution for me.

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

hugi
on 12/1/12 11:01 pm

My mom had both hips replaced. She waited too long, her back was affected. She regretted waiting too long to get her hips replaced.

grannymedic1
on 12/1/12 11:11 pm - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

I get injections in my spine and it isn't the needle stick at all that hurts. When the medicine goes in you might feel some pressure and maybe a little pain but just about the time you decide that "shucky darn that hurts" it is done. I have injections in 3 different places on both sides and sometimes I have some discomfort and many times not. Mostly the relief I get is more than worth any discomfort. One thing you need to know is that time time for a cortisone injection to work is variable. I have had some that gave immediate relief and some that took as long as 4 weeks to take effect. Usually it is somewhere in between.

Jean and I both understand the frustration of losing all your weight and feeling like a ball of fire but having chronic pain that holds you back. I had to retire from a much loved career because of chronic pain, as well as avoiding activities that interest me for the first time in many years. All I can say is that I am much better off overall than I was 3 years ago.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

SueBee01
on 12/1/12 11:11 pm - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
Thanks for the feedback! I may just have to bite the bullet and do the hip replacement. I am only 51 so I was hoping on waiting a few more years. I may try acupuncture too. I am getting daring in my older age! I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow!
 Sue

hugi
on 12/2/12 3:50 am

My mom was 70, she said she wished I had done it earlier. She would have less back problems. So don't wait, do it while you are young ;)

Most Active