What are you eating today (Monday) or yesterday?

Jean M.
on 1/20/13 8:01 pm
Revision on 08/16/12

Today's west Tennessee weather report can be summed up thusly: BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

I've had 5 days in a row off, kind of like a mini vacation (staycation is more like it), and I go back to work tonight. There are still 13 items left undone on my to-do list, on top of the things I do so routinely every day that I don't write them down any more. The first thing I have to do is assign priorities to those items. Wish me luck.

Today's food plan:
B: protein latte
S: steel-cut oatmeal w/ blueberries & a dollop of Greek yogurt
S: banana & peanut butter
L: BBQ pork, chow-chow
S: smoked salmon & cream cheese roll-up
S: raw sugar snap peas
D: chicken pot pie innards
S: chocolate protein ball

This morning is the dreaded high-intensity interval training class. I sure feel my age when trying to survive that class.

Have a great day!

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

vlp1968
on 1/20/13 9:10 pm

Hi,

Sorry it's so cold.  I used to live in Mass, so I know.  Now Iive in Southern Florida- love love love the weather, except for the hurricane potential.  What are Chocolate protein balls?

I have had a good week or so.  Down 31/2 from my high.  171.5 to 168.5.

B 2 eggs, turkey bacon and a whole grain english muffin

S protein shake

L chili- making it for the first time, should be fun.  I am not much of a cook.

S cheese and berries

D Fish and roasted asperagus

Jean M.
on 1/21/13 12:44 am
Revision on 08/16/12

I used to live in Mass, too, and was no stranger to hurricanes there, though they were more of a threat when I lived on the north shore than in the Berkshires.

I just posted the protein ball recipe on this thread. Currently my favorite combination is almond butter, chocolate protein powder, almond extract, and dried cherries.

Funny hurricane story. When my mom was about 8 months pregnant with my brother, a hurricane threatened our MA town while some family friends were staying with us. My mom's dear friend Dorothy volunteered to get some groceries and found herself fighting for staples at the A&P store. She piled her shopping cart with bread, and when another shopper asked her, "Getting ready for the hurricane?" Dorothy said, "No, I'm just really hungry today." 

author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Mojen
on 1/20/13 9:48 pm - IA
VSG on 08/14/12

Hello Jean,

I look on here and the sleeve (What are you eating post) to get ideas for a plan on a budget.  I have been wondering do make your protein balls and cookies from scratch? 

If so, I would like to have the recipes if possible.  Protein is one of my battles right now and I'm trying to find ways to get it in without having to deal with shakes often or at all.  Shakes are very hard for me to get down and I've tried a few.

Well I appreciate you taking the time to read.          Thank you!

Jenn D.

P.s.  If I don't respond to your reply than our service has been disrupted.  Which we are expecting to happen to day. 

Jenn D.         

Jean M.
on 1/21/13 12:34 am
Revision on 08/16/12

I'd rather chew my calories than drink them any old day!

PROTEIN BALLS (based on an Unjury recipe)
3 scoops protein powder (total 81 grams) - I use Unjury
3/4 c. nut butter (peanut, almond, etc.)
optional extras: chopped nuts, dried fruit, oats, spices, flavoring extract

Stir together the protein powder and nut butter (I do it in a food processor). When well combined, stir in extras as desired, then form the mixture into 11 balls (I flatten them into little patties). Place the balls in a single layer on a baking sheet and put it in the freezer until the balls are firm. After that, store them in the fridge.

I can't recall where the breakfast cookie recipes came from - I probably saw them on Pinterest. Here's the basic formula:

BREAKFAST COOKIES
2 ripe bananas, mashed until smooth
1/3 c. nut butter
2/3 c. unsweetened applesauce
1 scoop protein powder (I use Unjury vanilla)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-1/2 c. oats
1/4 c. chopped nuts
1/4 c. dried fruit (I like raisins in this recipe)
spices to taste (I use 1 tsp cinnamon)

Preheat oven to 350F. Mix the bananas & nut butter together (I use a food processor), then add the rest of the ingredients and stir until well combined. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and drop the dough onto the paper about 2" apart. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven, let rest on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to finish cooling. Store these cookies in the fridge because if you don't, the banana will spoil.

Mojen
on 1/21/13 4:02 pm - IA
VSG on 08/14/12

I truly appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Unjury unflavored is the kind I have some success with, but I have been thinking about trying the chocolate again.

When I first tried it I was completely over sweet shakes.  They would make me so ill.  

Thank you once again for posting recipes.

Jenn D.         

grannymedic1
on 1/21/13 12:21 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

B. greek yogurt, blueberries, small amount of protein powder mixed in

S 2 small protein balls

L. Protein soup

S. almonds

D. ground sirloin patty with condiments and green beans

S. wasa crackers

This is the first time I have hit a good protein number with out having a shake. I will end up with 86g. protein. Carbs are higher than I like but they are high quality. Calories will end up at 1096, a great number for where I am. Now, if I can only stick to it tightly.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

Jean M.
on 1/21/13 12:38 am
Revision on 08/16/12

Sticking to it tightly...that reminds me of a saying I used to hear in OA meetings - they talked about "white knuckle abstinence."

grannymedic1
on 1/21/13 12:52 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

So right, Jean. I used to hear it frequently and have been through it many times. I think it will take a few more days of this until I get things settled in. Having recently gone through a carb fest, being inside way too much, and it getting dark so soon, it is going to take me a lot more effort than it would at another time. Things here are very stressful right now with all that is going on so it is very easy to reach for food. I'm game. I don't have to go back to old patterns of behavior if I don't want to, and I don't.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

vlp1968
on 1/21/13 6:01 am

Granny- you can do it!  Let us know tomorrow how you did.  Thanks Jean for the recipes, it was really nice of you to take the time to post them.  So far so good for me today.  Sticking to the plan.  Hasn't been hard, not real hungry today for some reason.  No gym, I had a terrible night sleep and just didn't have it in me.  I have done well with eating, but need to get back on track with the work outs.

Most Active