Are there Surgeons not related to CLOS group?

mamaofsix
on 3/8/07 2:14 am
Hi all. I'm new to OH - my name is Gina and I'm from KS. I have been researching WLS of different types and have a few questions. Does anyone know of a surgeon in the Midwest that does MGB and is not related to the CLOS group? They appear to be good doc's but have a ton of hoops to jump through. I'm the type that hoops totally freak me out! (Can someone tell me if the CLOS group are sticklers about answers (like #of & type of diets I've been on, etc. before they will consider you for surgery).  In your opinion is the success rate (long term) good w/MGB or better with another type of surgery? Also can someone give me an estimate on price ( I'm a selfpay) and "hoops" I would have to go through if doc is not associated w/CLOS group?  Also, how how many pre-op visits and how long the post-op stay in thier town is required. (Have a lot of kids so child care issues are important to consider!) I know I have a lot more questions - but will wait for you answers for now. Thanks for all your help!!
radiochickgso
on 3/14/07 7:19 am - Lexington, NC
They do the MGB in High Point NC at High Point Regional Hospital.  They used to be CLOS but separated last May.  The Hoops you speak of ... are you talking about attending the clinic and the packet you must complete ?  If so that is stil in place in High Point.  I "survived" the packet and I am ga that i did ... it is important to know all of that information.  There are a lot of WLS surgery doctors who don't educated their pateints and that is when there are BIG health probelms.  because of the the dreaded packet I TRUELY know how to take care of myself.  Do i think that the MGB is better than other WLS ... absolutlely .... compare the complications form one to the other .... MGB is musch safer with many many many less complications.  speaking of complications, the reason why you have to stay with in a 2 hour drive post op for 7 days is ... if something BIG like a leak is going to rear its ugly head it is going to do it in a week.  At HPRH where Dr Walsh and Dr Dasher do surgery they have had 1 leak in over 500 pateints and 1 death (due to pnenomia). i will be 1 year post op next week and I have lost 106 pounds, am in perfect health. Good Luck. shelly 268 / 162 size 24 to size 12  
Shelly
3-21-06
MGB (Mini Gastric Bypass)
Dr Walsh
High Point Regional Hospital
High Point NC
www.regionalbariatics.com
wbrco
on 3/17/07 2:57 pm
There is a MGB surgeon in Joplin MO, but I don't remember his name...  Maybe someone else has a name??
Jennifer S.
on 3/21/07 3:25 pm - St. Louis, MO
I have written to Dr. Rutledge in Henderson (head CLOS Dr.) and he responds quickly but with few words.  Apparently his group is the only group doing this surgery.  See my post in the topic posted by someone else on this board "what's the diff?"  I think they have offices in Michigan, Texas and somewhere out east in addition to their Henderson, NV office.  Dr.  de la Torre in St. Louis has a great program if you want to go with the RNY.  He is in St. Louis, is a star surgeon and as I am going through the process there, the only hoops I have seen are from my insurance company.  Generally, the doc. doesn't require a diet and exercise program prior to surgery, but I am sure every case is different.  Even as a self-pay, I doubt you can get through this without some hoops.  It is pretty serious stuff and the surgeons want to make sure you are a good candidate for surgery before putting you under and cutting up your innards.  If a surgeon didn't look at your medical history I would run screaming from the office and never look back. As for the success rate, I was a little concerned at the lack of data on the success rate.  Since Dr. Rutledge's group seems to be the only group doing the surgery and others don't seem interested in following I am concerned about the validity of the statistics they offer.
dumplebugs
on 4/4/07 6:36 am - MO
Gina, Dr. Hargroder in Joplin, MO does the MGB. In fact, he was trained by Dr. Rutledge. His website is www.mgb-surgery.com. Hugs, Crystal
Pedrof
on 3/7/16 12:47 pm

Hi

I just read your post, and understood, you had a revision from sleeve to MGB?

Could you comment on your experience with MGB, dumping? vomit? reflux?

I am planning for the same revisión as yours, but concern about the above.

Will appreciatte your comments

Regards 

Pedro 

dancinjudge
on 3/7/16 1:01 pm - Oregon City, OR

Hi Pedro,

I had the opposite revision.  I started with a MGB and revised to a gastric sleeve.  When I had the MGB I had dumping, reflux, and became lactose intolerant.  Once I revised to gastric sleeve, I don't have any dumping anymore, and my lactose intolerance improved. I still cannot drink milk or eat ice cream, but I can eat cheese and yogurt.  I still suffer from reflux, and take Prilosec twice a day.

I had my revision from MGB to gastric sleeve because I lost too much weight.  Too much of my intestine was bypassed.  When I had the sleeve revision, they re-hooked up ALL of my bypassed intestine and made my stomach even smaller.  I have full absorption now, and I have normal bowel habits.  I am much happier with the sleeve, even though it took me a round-about way to get to it.

Kim

~Kim~ , 202-start/125-goal/124-current
           MGB 11/15/06, Revision to Gastric Sleeve 11/30/07

Pedrof
on 3/7/16 1:22 pm

Hi, kim

I am planning to go to a revisión from vsg to mgb, due to the fact, that after a year, I started to regain weight and started to have health complications. 

I did not suffer any reflux with my vsg, but i am concern about reflux with mgb, even though, a dr told me, that chances of reflux with mgb are low.

I wish you the best, keep track of what you eat with vsg.

tks and regards

Pedrof

dancinjudge
on 4/23/07 4:43 am - Oregon City, OR
I had the MGB in Nevada. I traveled from Oregon. The only pre-op appt. I had was the day before surgery and the morning of surgery.  No need to go there before the actual surgery.  You must stay there for a week for follow up, but they don't require that you go back later for a follow up. You must commit to annual follow ups with your local physician and report the findings to Dr. R.  The packet they have you prepare is for your own knowledge so that you truly understand the process and what this surgery is and isn't.  As part of the packet you must get a letter from your local doctor saying they will follow you post op and report annually. The price is $17,000 and includes the surgeon's fee, hospital stay, and anesthesiologist.  If a stay of longer than overnight is required, CLOS works with the hospital so the total cost is still $17,000.  They are not stringent on seeing your stats on total number of diets, how long, etc. but that is one of the questions they ask you.  You want to show that you have tried and failed to lose the weight.  They don't have a requirement to be on a 6 month supervised diet or anything.  I belong to the Yahoo group for the MBG and it appears from those that participate there, that the success rate is really high.  I think somewhere on their site it talks about the success rate being better than the RNY.  I think the MGBers on average lose more than 85% of their total weight to achieve ideal weight.  And regain is low, like 5% rebound, after your body settles and stops the losing phase. I think Dr. Hargroder in Joplin and the High Point people are the only non-CLOS drs. performing the MGB.
~Kim~ , 202-start/125-goal/124-current
           MGB 11/15/06, Revision to Gastric Sleeve 11/30/07

Most Active
Recent Topics
MGP in Ontario
NAP2013 · 2 replies · 904 views
New to this
Grammy1976 · 0 replies · 1238 views
Pre-op diet
LovelyBeck · 0 replies · 2055 views