What happened to Dr. O'Brien???

IowaHouseFlipper
on 4/25/07 11:55 am - Belle Plaine, IA
Anyone know for sure if Dr. O'Brien stopped doing the MGB or not? Someone recently wrote me and said they called his office and he no longer does the Lap MGB. What's up?? Peggy
Mini Gadget
on 5/1/07 8:56 pm - MN
Someone told me that he now does mostly lapband. Which is good! Very long story, lots of complications and bascially gettign lied to by him! Would not recommend anyone to him.
             Bridget
Mini Gastric bypass 11/18/03
Revision due to Rejection 05/31/06
IowaHouseFlipper
on 5/1/07 10:24 pm - Belle Plaine, IA
Wow Mini, I'm surprised to hear that. I went to Dr. Obrien back in 2002 for the Lap MGB and I had a very "positive" experience with the surgery, the doctor, and his staff. Sorry that your experience wasn't good. If I had to recommend anyone to a specif WLS, I'm still a fan of Lap MGB as opposed to some of the others out there but my opinion is only one opinion too. I wish you the best and I'm sad to hear that he's stopped. Peggy IA Dr. O'Brien (2002) 235# to154# 43 Cometic/Plastic Procedures-Brazil
hfa1407
on 5/7/07 5:24 am
I am thinking about going to Dr. Rutledge in Las Vegas for the MGB, but the weight loss surgeon I saw here in the Seattle area was very negative and said that it causes terrible bile reflux.  Did you have this, or do you know of others who have had problems?  What would you say is the most serious complication you have had?  Why did you need the revision?
Mini Gadget
on 5/31/07 8:04 pm - MN
I was just reading some old post are read yours. I am guessing you were asking me these questions. I needed my Mini redone due to "rejection". Basically what was happening is when they do the mini they loop the intestines. They do not actually cut them. When I would eat, food would go down the wrong side of the loop, sit and mull around a bit, then come back up and then down the correct side. This constant back and forth action caused a ulcer in my intestines where they joined the pouch. It caused constant pain. I was on major narcotics for a long time.  The most serious complication I had was the ulcer perforating and causing peritionitis throughout my abdomen, almost killing me.  The sad thing is, this could have all been prevented if the surgeon would have diagnosed and treated it properly, but he brushed it off.  Another complication that many people do not realize is the financial aspect. Sure, they do the mini really inexpensively. But it is the almost $300,000 in hospital stays, ER visits, tests, surgeries, etc that really hurt. Especially when you are in a very tight budget to begin with.
             Bridget
Mini Gastric bypass 11/18/03
Revision due to Rejection 05/31/06
hfa1407
on 6/1/07 12:01 am
Bridget:  Was Dr. OBrien the one who did the original mini bypass.  Was he trained by Dr. Rutledge who founded CLOS?  Has anyone who has had the MGB with a CLOS doctor had this happen?  Reply to [email protected].  Thanks
charleston-mom
on 7/3/07 1:26 pm, edited 7/3/07 1:27 pm

Please research Dr. Rutledge very carefully before you consider him.  There is a wealth of information out there.    You can go to the site on the North Carolina Medical Board website to read about him.  There is a public file against him.  Scroll down to all the public file entries.   Just paste the link into your browser.  According to the consent order (I think on the bottom of page 4 or 5, he admitted there was evidence which could show a lack of ethics and honesty on his application to practice in Nevada.  Additionally, the initial charges against him by the medical board are really disturbing and are never really well defended by him. http://www.ncmedboard.org/Clients/NCBOM/Public/Licensee_Deta ils.aspx?&EntityID=26088&PublicFile=1  It's a matter of public record, so I don't see anything wrong with posting it.  The more information we have regarding ethics of physicians we are considering, the better.

He is no longer licensed in North Carolina and was further even reprimanded by the NC Medical Board for not being fully honest about investigations against him in North Carolina as well on his application to practice in Nevada. http://glsuite.ncmedboard.org/DataTier/Documents/Repository/ 0/0/6/1/0f289ee1-8d65-4ae0-b111-ed87f7b528af.pdf I don't know - there's something disturbing to me about a doctor with this kind of record advertising on You Tube - even running his name and phone number across his videos. 

I would rather have a surgeon without a public record against him personally. Anyway - all of the above is a matter of public record and found on the North Carolina Medical Board website.

Grizzler
on 8/25/07 7:01 am - Canada
This is all total tosh. This was nothing more than an admin error caused by a badly worded application, blown out of all proportion by pompous officials seeking to give reason for their outrageous salaries. Very misleading to say the least. Folks, read the information fully to comprehend what this nonsense really means. The day someone in medical practice is 'hung, drawn and quartered' for a clerical misunderstanding will be the day I eat my hat. By all means share with folks, but please don't make him out to be something he isn't. The fact that he is choosing to be as transparent and open about his treatment in this unique fashion is his prerogative and may not be favoured by many, but your use of phrases such as 'disturbing' are totally inappropriate and designed to be purely nothing more than provocative. To find the real facts that matter about this pioneer of this ground-breaking surgery, please keep researching ALL sources. There is indeed lots of information out there about this treatment option, unlike other WLS alternatives.  For the record, I am pre-op scheduled for surgery in October and not I would add with Dr Rutledge.  Urban myths are fun eh!
Laussie
on 9/2/07 9:38 pm - Winter Haven, FL
Dr. Rutledge left NC for family reasons - not because he was run out of town.  One person and one person only made a complaint against Dr. R and has made it her life's goal to discredit him.  His license was not revoked in NC.  He only recently let it lapse since he is now based in Nevada and fully licensed to practice there and was actively pursued the a hospital in NC ti establish a CLOS center there and train a surgeon.  Please do not believe these urban myths but go straight to a good source of information - the many post-ops who are completely satisfied with the procedure and its results.  CLOS does not attempt to hide anything and openly discuss any complications from this and other surgeries.  Thanks for your defense of this wonderful procedure Grizz.
darcies
on 3/25/08 7:38 am

Dr. O'Brien was trained by Dr. Rutledge to do MGB.  I had MGB by Dr. O'Brien in 2003 and have not had any complications.  I have occasional bile reflux but it is really no big deal.

Most Active
Recent Topics
MGP in Ontario
NAP2013 · 2 replies · 904 views
New to this
Grammy1976 · 0 replies · 1238 views
Pre-op diet
LovelyBeck · 0 replies · 2054 views