MGB VS RYN

S. M.
on 4/26/07 11:43 am - In The Country, AL
I recently found a Dr I might can afford since I have no insurance, however he only does 3 surgeries....LAP ~ MGB ~ SLEEVE.....now can someone help me with the differences between the mini and the regular.... For those who have already had the MGB can you please tell me how fast and how much weight you have lost...as well as any side effects you may have experienced! Thanks for all of the help! Hugs, Susan
~ Susan 
MissSandy
on 4/28/07 1:03 pm, edited 4/28/07 1:04 pm - Acworth, GA

Hi,

The TRUE MGB was developed by Dr. Robert Rutledge who now performs the surgery in Las Vegas. Although my surgery was done by Dr. Walsh who was trained by Dr. R. and is no longer with CLOS, Dr. R. has also trained two other surgeons in Michigan and Florida.  I had this surgery in 2004 and have gone from 392 to 178.  Go to CLOS. net to find out all about this option.  I have no regrets!

Sandy

hfa1407
on 5/7/07 5:18 am
Sandy:  I am thinking about going to Dr. R, but the weight loss surgeon I saw here in the Seattle area was very negative and said that it causes terrible bile reflux.  Did you have this, or do you know of others who have had problems?  What would you say is the most serious complication you have had?
MissSandy
on 5/7/07 9:43 am - Acworth, GA
  You know, I don't know where those horror stories come from!  I have had no bile reflux nor have I heard of anyone who has. I have only heard of a couple of folks who have acid reflux. Dr. Rutledge addresses all these things on the CLOS.net website and even has U Tube videos explaining all aspects of the surgery.  I have read such terrible stories on O Help about all the complications and side effects of the other surgeries that I am SO thankful that I chose the MGB.  I have had no complications and have lost over 200 pounds---reached my all-time low of 175 last week! The only side -effect that bothers me is the occasional diarrhea and the awful smelling gas!  I know I could remedy this if I would watch what I eat.  As it is, I pretty much eat like a normal person now.   You are doing the right thing---asking questions and researching all the options.  I did, and the MGB was the only route I trusted because of the short surgery time, the success stories I read on the sites, the cost, and most of all the fact that it is reversible if I made a terrible mistake! Good luck. Sandy
dancinjudge
on 5/7/07 10:21 am - Oregon City, OR
I had my surgery 11/15/06 (MBG with Dr. Rutledge).  I started at 202 and I am down 77 lbs. and at goal at less than 6 months out.  I have had no complications or side effects.  There is a really good diagram on clos.net of the difference between RNY and MGB.  Essentially, the MGB only has one new connection, and the RNY has 2 because they cut the small intestine in half and hook up each half in different places.  The MGB has one hole in the side of the intestine attached to the base of the new stomach.
~Kim~ , 202-start/125-goal/124-current
           MGB 11/15/06, Revision to Gastric Sleeve 11/30/07

luckylori
on 8/31/07 12:33 am - towson , MD
Kim, I am curious as to how many ft your bypass was for. I am considering MGB with Dr. Peraglie and I am not sure how may feet mypass will be, but I think I am close to your stats I am 5' 1" and 199 lbs with a BMI of 37.3. How tall are you and what was your BMI? Lori
Most Active
Recent Topics
MGP in Ontario
NAP2013 · 2 replies · 905 views
New to this
Grammy1976 · 0 replies · 1238 views
Pre-op diet
LovelyBeck · 0 replies · 2057 views