Anyone from Ontario gone to the US for MGB?

Dawn M.
on 5/20/07 3:09 am - Peterborough, Canada
Hello Everyone! I am in the research stage of WLS. I had originally wanted to get the lapband but it is in no way covered in Canada ($16,000 was too expensive for me!!)  I am now considering the MGB. Any WLS surgery covered by OHIP (Ontario's Provincial Health Plan) has a long waiting list BUT they will also cover out of country WLS if it is needed to be done quicker. I am seriously considering going to Michigan for surgery. I admitt I do have lots and LOTS of questions!! I am looking for anyone from Ontario who has dealt with OHIP and can walk me thru the process necessary to get surgery done in the US. I am curious as to how long it took from beginning to end (from the time you first applied to having the actual surgery)? I am going on holidays for 16 days in August and originally wanted to do this before hand but now I think I should wait until after I return.  Any info would be greatly appriciated!!

Dawn M.
on 5/20/07 3:14 am - Peterborough, Canada
I also forgot to mention that I do not have a family doctor as there is a shortage where I live. I do have access to a Nurse Practitioner (don't know if she can fill out OHIP forms?) so I don't know if that would be a major bump in the road to get this surgery!!

Wendy_Canada
on 7/5/07 7:04 pm - Canada
Hi Dawn, I just happened across your post and thought i would reply. I am not having MGB but Roux-en-Y but i can answer some of your OHIP questions. I faxed my paper work into them June 21 then followed up by purolating them the originals same day.  I heard it takes 2-3 weeks to hear from them if you get an approval and sometimes up to 3 months and it will be denied. But then you can appeal. Mine has been in 2 weeks now..........my Doctor did get a fax from them the same day i sent them my paperwork asking what kind of surgery i was having because some forms of surgery are not covered by OHIP. He forgot to fill that part in.  This information was sent into them this week so i am hoping to hear back from OHIP next week. I think after your approval from OHIP its just the availability of the surgeon you want to see. Mine told me it would be October.  2nd Part of your question when you don't have a doctor.  On the OHIP out of country prior approval form it asks for " Referring Ontario Physician."   My family doctor did not want to sign it so I asked my orthopedic surgeon to and he was more than happy to since i had just had two total knee replacements within the past year.  He says the weight loss will improve the longevity of the knees.  The paper work i sent OHIP for approval was   Prior approval form, letter from orthopedic surgeon, letter from physiotherapist, x-ray reports, letter from chiropractor, letter from chiropodist, letter from myself as well as weight loss history , and shudder the thought some pictures of me. I thought if it makes the decission for me what the heck. Plus the odds i will ever meet anyone that saw these pictures is pretty low.  I would have my doubts if a nurse would be capable of signing the form but if thats all you have you can always try.  All they can say is no. Good luck in your quest and I am from Orillia Ontario so hi neighbour. If you would like to email me its [email protected] Wendy
Most Active
Recent Topics
MGP in Ontario
NAP2013 · 2 replies · 902 views
New to this
Grammy1976 · 0 replies · 1237 views
Pre-op diet
LovelyBeck · 0 replies · 2053 views