MGB complications/regrets?

Laussie
on 8/25/07 6:44 am - Winter Haven, FL
There is a growing body of evidence showing that the Mini-Gastric Bypass (MGB) is a safe and effective alternative to other bariatric surgical operations. This study reports on the results of a consecutive cohort of patients undergoing the MGB. METHODS: A prospective database was used to continuously assess the results in 2,410 MGB patients treated from September 1997 to February 2004. RESULTS: The average operative time was 37.5 minutes, and the median length of stay was 1 day. The 30-day mortality and complication rates were 0.08% and 5.9% respectively. The leak rate was 1.08%. Average weight loss at 1 year was 59 kg (80% of excess body weight). The most frequent long-term complications were dyspepsia and ulcers (5.6%) and iron deficiency anemia (4.9%.) Excessive weight loss with malnutrition occurred in 1.1%. Weight loss was well maintained over 5 years, with <5% patients regaining more than 10 kg (22 lbs). CONCLUSIONS: Overall, the MGB is very safe initially and in the long-term. It has reliable weight loss and complications similar to other forms of gastric bypass.

PMID: 16259892 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Please  show me your research and be sure it is the true MGB performed by only 3 surgeons authorized to perform the surgery under CLOS supervision.  The above research was conducted using CLOS patients by CLOS surgeons.  tyvm

Grizzler
on 8/25/07 7:08 am - Canada
On August 25, 2007 at 1:44 PM Pacific Time, Laussie wrote:
There is a growing body of evidence showing that the Mini-Gastric Bypass (MGB) is a safe and effective alternative to other bariatric surgical operations. This study reports on the results of a consecutive cohort of patients undergoing the MGB. METHODS: A prospective database was used to continuously assess the results in 2,410 MGB patients treated from September 1997 to February 2004. RESULTS: The average operative time was 37.5 minutes, and the median length of stay was 1 day. The 30-day mortality and complication rates were 0.08% and 5.9% respectively. The leak rate was 1.08%. Average weight loss at 1 year was 59 kg (80% of excess body weight). The most frequent long-term complications were dyspepsia and ulcers (5.6%) and iron deficiency anemia (4.9%.) Excessive weight loss with malnutrition occurred in 1.1%. Weight loss was well maintained over 5 years, with <5% patients regaining more than 10 kg (22 lbs). CONCLUSIONS: Overall, the MGB is very safe initially and in the long-term. It has reliable weight loss and complications similar to other forms of gastric bypass.

PMID: 16259892 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Please  show me your research and be sure it is the true MGB performed by only 3 surgeons authorized to perform the surgery under CLOS supervision.  The above research was conducted using CLOS patients by CLOS surgeons.  tyvm

I believe you Laussie, I just want Darnell to reveal his sources.   Grizz
LindaU
on 8/9/07 5:25 am - Aberdeen, MS
I did a lot of research into different types of WLS before deciding to go with the MGB. I have absolutely no regrets. In fact, due to my success,  my daughter-in-law also had the MGB a month after my surgery. I am within 13 pounds of my goal weight and have had no complications at all. In the almost 2 years I have been on the MGB yahoo messageboard, there have been many postings asking questions on weight regain. Some patients may gain back 10-15% of the amount of excess weight lost, but I have hot heard of anyone gaining back large amounts. For example, if I lost 100#, I may eventually gain back 10-15# long term post-op. From the studies I've read, the regain rates are much better than with RNY.  I was a self pay with the MGB and took a second mortgage on my house to finance. Savings from prescriptions no longer needed are covering about half my payment.  I am so happy I made the decision to go with the MGB. Good luck with your research! Linda Underwood 11/14/06 222/158/145
tinsleytown
on 9/19/09 8:46 am
Hi linda, I am having MGB on oct 8th, i was just wondering if you can give me an update to your weight loss and if you are still happy with your surgery now that it has been almost 3 years?  your last post was over two years ago ;) trying to get some info from people that are a few years out now!  thanks! renee  [email protected]
LindaU
on 9/30/09 2:14 am - Aberdeen, MS
Renee:
Congrats on your upcoming MGB! We are approaching my three year MGB anniversary and my husband's two year. We are still so glad we had this surgery. I am staying around 160# and my husband is at 165#. This is a 60-62# loss for each of us, not bad considering my 3' and his 2' bypass. Dr. Peraglie (a more conservative surgeon) gave us shorter bypasses since we had less to lose.  My high blood pressure and sleep apnea and my husband's diabetes are still a thing of the past (reasons alone worthwhile to have the surgery).

Our MGB is so much more "user-friendly" than the RNY surgery my daughter and son underwent. You've made the right decision!!

Linda
11/14/06
222/145/160
Pre-op/Low/Now
tinsleytown
on 10/1/09 2:22 am
Thank you, Linda!  I have one week from today till surgery and these replies are helping my nerves :)  Congrats to you and your husband!  Renee
tinsleytown
on 11/3/09 6:08 am
Hi Linda, I just wanted to say hello and give you a quick update---It will be 4 weeks tomorrow since I had my MGB and so far I have lost 26# and I am doing well!  Thanks again for the encouragement, I was very worried before my procedure and replies like yours gave me the reassurance that I needed to go through with the surgery!  Thanks again!  
Renee 
10/7/09
252/226/140
pre/now/goal!
(deactivated member)
on 8/14/07 1:16 pm - Sioux Falls, SD
I had a MGB in 2003 and have gained all of the weight back. I lost 97 pounds in the first year and then it stopped and I started to regain the weight. I am going in for a revision to RNY in November. I didn't have any complications for the first three years. This last year I've started to throw up after meals sometimes and have terrible bouts of reflux. I'm hoping the revision will help those problems and help me to lose the weight I didn't lose the first time around. If I had to do it over, I would have done the RNY or DS instead of the MGB.
dancinjudge
on 9/20/07 4:45 pm - Oregon City, OR
I got the MGB and was a self pay.  I am 10 months out and severely underweight. Nearly 30 lbs. underweight.  I was a lightweight to begin with and I think Dr. R. bypassed too much. That is just my personal opinion.  I suffer from severe diarrhea and have for the last 3 months.  I have tried to find other causes for this, but I am losing so fast now that revision seems the only option I have.  I don't regret the surgery, but I do wish I knew more about the amount to be bypassed and had talked to D. R. about not bypassing too much.  I only wanted to lose 80 lbs. and he bypassed 6 feet on me.  I am now 96 lbs.
~Kim~ , 202-start/125-goal/124-current
           MGB 11/15/06, Revision to Gastric Sleeve 11/30/07

Kahlua
on 9/26/07 4:59 pm - NJ
Dancin Judge, I'm so sorry to hear about your ordeal. I know you were such a supporter of the MBG and I actually had read your profile before. You reminded me of me, in terms of your shape. I also remember thinking "if a judge is speaking highly of it, she must have done the research." All the research in the world can't guarantee against complications. I'm surprised Dr R bypassed that much for you, even after you expressed your concerns before surgery. I spoke recently with Flo at Dr P's office and she said a friend of hers had a 4 ft bypass b/c she only had to lose about 75 lbs. I can't imagine why Dr. R bypassed the same for you as he does for people who have to lose twice that amount. Have you asked him? Will he revise you, and if so, will he do it for free since he didn't give you what you asked for. Alas, it probably doesn't work that way in the real world, eh? I wish you well and I'm sorry you have to go through all this sickness and another surgery. My thoughts are with you. I hope you gain back the weight to be healthy. You look absolutely GORGEOUS in your wedding pictures. At least you weren't sick during that time. Keep us posted--here and on the yahoo site. Kahlua
Most Active
Recent Topics
MGP in Ontario
NAP2013 · 2 replies · 916 views
New to this
Grammy1976 · 0 replies · 1248 views
Pre-op diet
LovelyBeck · 0 replies · 2065 views