MGB complications/regrets?

Kahlua
on 7/24/07 1:59 am - NJ
I see plenty of people who are happy with this procedure. Anyone have any problems, complications or need for reversals/revisions? Anyone regret having this procedure? Did your insurance cover any complications (assuming they didn't cover the MGB initially)? I'm concered I will be "blackballed" from my insurance comp if there are any complications. Also, my insurance covers the RNY, but I would have to struggle to pay the $17K for the MGB. So it's also a matter of whether the MGB is THAT much better to justify putting myself into debt over?  Any feedback, suggestions or MGB stories would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kahlua
MissSandy
on 7/24/07 5:03 am - Acworth, GA
Kahlua, I can only sing praises for the MGB.  My surgery was three years ago, and I have gone from a miserable 392 to a happy, active 175!  I have suffered no complications.  The only bothersome side effect is the terrible gas, but this isn't every day.  I read the Yahoo Message board daily and have seen VERY few complications.  The ones I read about on sites here by folks who had the RNY or lapband just reassure me that I made the right choice.  Check out CLOS.net for all the info you need. Sandy
anti1978
on 11/10/07 3:25 am - Pueblo, CO
Hi there!!  It is so good to hear such praise about the MGB, I am presently pursuing the operation and I do have a question for you.  How long of a recovery time did you allow?  Were you out of work for one or two weeks after?  And what Can I expect after? Thanks, Ant
MissSandy
on 11/10/07 5:05 am - Acworth, GA

Ant,  Since I am retired, I can't really answer your question about returning to work.  I do remember, though, that the only problem I had was some nausea the week after surgery.  I was fine after that.  I think I was so involved with the new way of eating that I didn't focus on how I felt.  In the longrun, any discomfort then was well worth it!  Good luck, and if I can answer any other questions, feel free to ask. Sandy

tinsleytown
on 9/19/09 7:52 am

Hello Sandy, I was just wondering how you are doing with your mgb this far out?  I have read several OLD posts from you but just wanted an update--have you gained back much weight?  I am scheduled for MGB on 10/8 so I was looking for some pts. that are more far out!  thanks! renee  [email protected]

radiochickgso
on 7/30/07 2:00 am - Lexington, NC
I am 16 motnsh post op and healthy as can be ... down 119 pounds, perfect labs and excellent support from Docs.  I whole heartedly recommend the MGB.
Shelly
3-21-06
MGB (Mini Gastric Bypass)
Dr Walsh
High Point Regional Hospital
High Point NC
www.regionalbariatics.com
darnell239
on 8/5/07 1:50 am - Columbia, SC
Kahlua, I had the mini gastric bypass 7 years ago.  Believe it or not insurance use to cover this procedure but quit.  I had no complications or problems.  However, I never lossed amount of weight I probably should have with this surgery and I have regained about 50 lbs of my weight back.  I am seeking a revision.  I am talking with a Dr. in Florida who knows all about this procedure and as soon as I told him what I had he stated that I needed the true RNY.  The MGB is known for having a high rate for regain.  I am not trying to talk you out of what you are doing but I thought you should know the truth.  You really should connect with people who are 5 or more years out to see how successful they are with not regaining.  I know of several personally who have did the regaining.
Laussie
on 8/25/07 1:54 am - Winter Haven, FL
Honey, you need to be careful when stating something.  High rate of regain is simply not true.  You may regain part of your weight loss but you must remember it is a tool that will work for the rest of your life.  If you start loading carbs, you will regain but if you get back on the program, it will still work for you.  Visit CLOS.net for all the facts about this remarkable surgery.
darnell239
on 8/25/07 3:50 am - Columbia, SC

Please tell me where your research is coming from pertaining to my statement of the high rate of regain?  I know alot of facts about the mini gastric bypass.  Please don't be condescending to people who do not support this surgery.  I found the use of "honey" as very belittling.

Grizzler
on 8/25/07 4:49 am - Canada
On August 25, 2007 at 10:50 AM Pacific Time, darnell239 wrote:

Please tell me where your research is coming from pertaining to my statement of the high rate of regain?  I know alot of facts about the mini gastric bypass.  Please don't be condescending to people who do not support this surgery.  I found the use of "honey" as very belittling.

Hey Darnell, I am sorry to hear that this treatment didn't work for you. Who did you have your surgery with and what length of bypass were you given? Can you also give me a link please to the research material you have, showing the 'high rate of weight regain' as I am contemplating the MGB and would like to review this beforehand. Cheers Fella, Grizz
Most Active
Recent Topics
MGP in Ontario
NAP2013 · 2 replies · 905 views
New to this
Grammy1976 · 0 replies · 1238 views
Pre-op diet
LovelyBeck · 0 replies · 2057 views