Gastric Bypass In Toronto HELP

shannonp8
on 5/13/08 6:16 am - Willowdale, Canada
Hi Everyone,     I'm new to this site, my doctor recently referred me for a lap-band, and the surgeon was ready to do the procedure for  may30th,08, but I'm unable to get the procedure because I am on Ontario disablity and cannot get funding. So he suggested Gastric bypass surgery because it supposedly is covered by OHIP, I was just wondering if anyone had any information on Surgeons in the Toronto area that perform the surgery, and how I go about getting funding for it. I've done lots of research so I know the risks, and how the surgery is performed, but am having trouble finding a surgeon.Any help would be greatly appreciated *Hugs* Shannon
shannonp8
on 5/13/08 11:49 am - Willowdale, Canada
Also I have been looking through the search here and I keep coming up with the same 2 that cannot cover me. :(
DIANESALISBURY
on 3/14/12 9:56 am
 im tryin the same thing im on disabilty in ontario lookin for a surgeon who covers ,, this procedures ,
nov1813
on 11/24/13 12:03 pm

Dr. Teodor Grantcharov ask for him his great and ohip covers it 

slugworth
on 5/13/08 9:58 am - Stanwood, WA
Hello, I don't know of any who do the mini-gastric-bypass there. However most people with OHIP travel to Florida or Las Vegas to get the surgery. Please go to www.mgbhelp.com and www.clos.net to find out more about it. Good luck! -Van
shannonp8
on 5/13/08 10:03 am - Willowdale, Canada
Thanks I'll Check it out
songbirdwoman
on 5/14/08 3:09 am - 'St. Marys, Canada
Hi ((((((((((Shannon)))))))), The reason OHIP will no longer fund Lap Band Surgery is due to the high number of complications that people are having after this procedure.   I live in Lakeside, Ontario and  OHIP approved  and paid for me to have a mini gastric bypass done in Florida by Dr. Peralgie. When I  received my OHIP approval letter, it specifically stated that OHIP will not cover any type of lap band procedure.  I have done alot of research as to what would be the best gastric bypass surgery available which resulted in least complications and risks.  In Ontario, there is Lap Band Surgery and the RNY gastric bypass surgery,  The only problem with having gastric bypass surgery in Ontario is that the waiting list is between three and ten years long.  I called almost ten gastric bypass surgeons in Ontario to learn this.  OHIP will pay for a person to have a gastric bypass out of the country if they have a Body Mass Index of 30 with co morbidiites and if a patient has a BMI of 40 or more.   During my research, I decided on the Mini Gastric Bypass Laparoscopic Surgery since it is the least invasive, simple, hospital time is less than a day with some people not even staying overnight.  It is the least expensive costing $17,000.  It has the least complications and risks post surgery.  The pre op preparation is qutie extensive as  far as learning as much as needed to proceed with such a procedure.  If you are interested in this surgery, go to www.CLOS.net.   I will add the information of the Lap Band Surgery which I researched for you.  If you want any more information about the  risks and complications of other weight loss surgeries, please don't hesitate to let me know.  I also also compiled the necessary information on what is  required for an OHIP application which I can also assist you with.   Since OHIP applications for treatment outside of the country are not part of the norm for doctors, some doctors just don;t know how to fill them out right.  LAP BAND SURGERY::

This surgery is not suited for patients who have conditions like Chron’s disease, large hiatus hernias or a history of stomach ulcers.

Despite having lowering complications compared to more invasive and involved weight loss surgeries, The Lap Band has a number of risks pertaining directly to this kind of surgery.   The most serious is death occurring either during surgery or shortly after, which is directly related to the surgery.  The death rate reported is less than 1% but that percentage is not based on all of the deaths, since every death that occurred has not been reported.  It has only been licensed as a procedure for use in the since 2001, even though it has been around for more than 10 years.  Since 1994, has been the forefront of pioneering the use of laparoscopic adjustable band surgery.  Their reported death rate out of 2700 patients was nil; not one patient died.  Considering the differences between the two countries, the experience of the surgeon is a major factor in terms of both the risks and complications.  The most significant risk after lap band surgery is the tearing of the wall of the stomach which happens in about 1% of patients.  One study reported that the vast majority of complications are as high as 88% ranging from mild to severe.  No wonder Dr. Rutledge and Dr. Peralgie need to surgically help out so may failed Lap Band surgery patients.

Lap Band surgery causes less weight loss and a slower rate of weight loss compared to something like the MGB or Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Approximately half of patients will develop different degrees of nausea and vomiting, and one third will suffer from GERD.  About a quarter of patients will experience a slippage of the band and one patient in seven will experience a blockage of the passage between the two sections of the stomach. The band can also become eroded into the stomach as well as twisting, causing a leakage of the access port.  Also quite common is difficulty swallowing, constipation and diarrhea.  Less than 1% develops complications such as gastritis, hiatus hernia, pancreatitis, dehydration, abdominal pain, flatulence, chest pain and infection.  When the Lap Band is performed laparoscopically, there seems to be fewer risks and complications.  I went to a few on line sites support sites where there are Lap Band patients are either frustrated,  depressed  or angry due to the complications they have had post surgery.  Some have had to have the procedure down over again up as much as up to three times.  One woman reported that: “my esophagus is accommodating and enlarging at the end near my stomach.  I am getting really depressed about this.  You make a decision to have surgery, which is of feat and then you get slapped down with problems.  My surgeon is a nice guy and says I frustrate him – he should live in my shoes!!!! I have 4 kids and am 44, I want to see my kids grow up and their kids grow up.” 

If you would like to email me, my email is [email protected].  Hope this helps.

Hugsssssssssssssssss

Love LInda xoxoxo

songbirdwoman
on 5/14/08 3:11 am - 'St. Marys, Canada
Hi ((((((((((((Shannon))))))))))), I see that what I had copied and pasted for you does not all show up.  Just email me or gvie me your email and I will be happy to send it throught email.  Talk to you soon. hugsssssssssssss Love Linda xoxoxo
songbirdwoman
on 7/18/08 9:12 am - 'St. Marys, Canada
Hi Shannon,

I had aproval for the Mini Gastric Bypass Surgery (least invasive, simplest, and less complications after surgery) from OHIP since I live in Ontario.  OHIP will not cover one penny towards lap band surgery due to it's unsuccessful rate and problems after.  I remember OHIP saying that specifically that they do not cover the Lap Band on the letter OHIP had sent me to inform me I had been approved for the MGB,   As Van had said preciously, go to MGB.com and you will find the information you need.  One thing not on that site is information around OHIP since they do not want to be seen as advocating for Ontarionians to apply for OHIP for this surgery.  For OHIP to cover, you must have a BMI of at least thirty with co morbidities.  My BMI was 45 and definately had comorbidities. 

Another site set up by a post op MGBer is mgbhelp.com.  Since it was not established by the Mini Gastric Bypass site, this site has all the information on how to apply for OHIP.  If you would like, I can also send you an OHIP template and the do's and don't when your doctor fills out an OHIP form for out of country insurance coverage.  Most doctors have not had to fill out these out of country  coverage OHIP forms, so don't know how to fill them out.  It is better that you help them get it right the first time, so the application is not sent back as a denial.  There is an appeal process and those who have been turned down the first time, get it through their appeal.  I do have all the information you need to provided for your doctor. 

Hugssssssssss comin'  back at 'ya

Linda

Linda
kookiez
on 8/24/08 3:52 pm - london, Canada
hi shannon humber river regional hosp toronto  4 drs at that hosp wait is under 18 months,try going on the ontario forum they will help you alot good luck Kookie

MAGGIE IS MY ANGEL              5'11" tall 377/349/c222/195/175                                                 

Most Active
Recent Topics
MGP in Ontario
NAP2013 · 2 replies · 898 views
New to this
Grammy1976 · 0 replies · 1230 views
Pre-op diet
LovelyBeck · 0 replies · 2047 views