bypass length = predictor of weight loss sucess

fatmackn
on 7/17/12 5:35 am - Adelaide, Australia
Hi all, im new and was was wanting to get the MGB done however im still deciding between the mgb or roux en-y and one of the main reasons for picking either is the best weight loss. Ive seen videos of D.r Rutledge discussing that he bypass the intestine of about 6 feet in lengths in most patients which is average restriction and average malabsorbtion. However he goes on to say that if a reviosion surgery is required due to insuffcient weight loss that even another 3 feet of bypass length will not really affect weight loss and that he has to bypass another 6 feet making it a total of 12 feet in order for much greater weight loss and malabsorbtion of fat and calories. Can people who have had this surgery detail there excess weight loss? thankyou.
shoutjoy
on 7/17/12 8:36 pm - Culpeper, VA
Hi,

I am 12 years out from the MGB and I am totally happy with the results.  This is an extremely powerful surgery and it is very difficult to sabatoge.  In fact, I got too thin initially. Yes, if I was a total couch potato and always picked mega carbs to eat, I would gain a little weight but why would I do that?  Why would I have my body altered so much just to not take advantage of the tool.  I know of only a hand full of folks who did not lose weight. and had revisions. 

I drink lots of water.  I use moderate salt for hydration and I try to pick good food choices.  However, being able to eat anything I want at this point, a little self talk is needed sometimes.  I don't crave like I used to.  Quantity is still very small.  I made an excellent choice.

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

fatmackn
on 7/17/12 9:36 pm - Adelaide, Australia
hi Paula yah im glad you replied i was going to pm you this question anyway. Do you know what youre bypass length was? Ive seen all the studies i can on the Mgb and as you said it is very powerful even more so then the lp band however i just want to make sure i dont gain weight like ive heard some gastric bypass patients doing because they stretch the stoma. However im glad it sounds like youre surgery was a success and i really want to loose 90 to 100 percent excess weight i dont wana only loose say half then be stuck if you know what i mean. Of all the studies ive seen another factor came to my attention when they were comparing people who ost weight before the surgery vs people who didnt loose any weight b4 the surgery. They found that the people who lost the weight lost a greater percentage of weight after the surgery plus they kept more of for longer.

Thanks Clint.
shoutjoy
on 7/17/12 9:55 pm - Culpeper, VA
Hi,

I had six feet bypassed. Worrying about weight gain is something that everyone experiences.  Keep in mind that this is only a tool to manage the amount of food eaten and the absorption of calories.  The rest is up to you.  As I said, it doesn't take care of the mental issues associated with obesity.  Getting those supports set up is extremely important. 

Plateaus happen in everyone.  One thing I did was use my clothes as an indicater of weight loss.  I only weighed when I had to and that really eliminated tons of anxiety.  If you think you can do that, it will help with the worry aspect.  Not everyone can.  Some folks are totally chained to their scale.  They suffer all the time with the ups and down of the numbers.  The choice is yours.

I haven't heard of anyone being able to stretch their stomachs from this surgery.  It is so unique that you would have to enjoy getting sick and suffering from pain all the time in order to do that. Something is triggering these episodes and, they need to find out what is going on in their mind that is causing this.  The battle IS in the mind. 

Another thing, I have also learned that it is NOT always the patients fault. Some surgeons do botch up surgeries.  One of my surgeon friends who has a bariatric wellness center runs into this all the time. He is NOT one to blame the patient on the onset.  He always does a scope to find out IF there are other issues associated with the weight gain. He also understands that the mind can be a powerful influence and has a counselor on staff to help with these issues.

I hope this helps.

fatmackn
on 7/17/12 11:00 pm - Adelaide, Australia
yah i get what u mean with the mental side of things and how important getting on top of that is before the surgery. When i was all depressed and using food as a substitute for living life i balooned out to 140kgs i wasnt exercising at all and yah i couldnt belive at how fast my body allowed me to gain weight. However now that im more in control and have cut down on alot of the food i once ate ive lost alot of weight however im still overweight but it is much more controllable from being super obese had i just kept pigging out etc. I understand what youre saying that the MGb is just a tool to give a helping hand to those of us with bad genetcis however its not the be all or end all to weight loss and that if i still eat crap and dont exercise im not gona be as slim as id like and i could still gain some weight back. I just donwant to be a statitsitic who gains weight thats all. I think ive made my mind up the mgb definately has fewr complications then the roux en -y.
shoutjoy
on 7/17/12 11:07 pm - Culpeper, VA
Hi again,

I think you will be fine. Just be mindful of yourself, your cir****tances and your triggers.  Go into this with a positive attitude that you will do your best and whatever that translates to and accept it.  Our bodies know what is an appropriate weight. It may not be what we want or it may be better than what we want.  No way to predict the future just take one day at a time.

Most Active
Recent Topics
MGP in Ontario
NAP2013 · 2 replies · 905 views
New to this
Grammy1976 · 0 replies · 1238 views
Pre-op diet
LovelyBeck · 0 replies · 2057 views