Revision from MGB to RNY

JulieIND
on 5/14/13 5:45 pm - Indianapolis, IN

I am two weeks post-op my revision from MGB to RNY.  For some reason, I developed a stricture six years after my MGB.  They're still unsure as to why, but the only thing they think could have happened is the bile reflux continually aggravated the opening between the stomach and intestines causing the connection to scar shut.  After eight months of continuing vomiting, six scopes with dilation, and rapid weight loss, I contacted a local surgeon.  He advised I convert to the RNY to get the bile to drain properly.  I consented to the surgery and am hoping it will fix the problem. 

When I contacted Dr. Rutledge, he insisted I have an ulcer, but after six scopes, no ulcer has been seen and nothing was seen during the conversion surgery either, so I do not think that is the issue.  What they did find when they did the RNY is the doctor who performed my MGB did not properly form the new stomach.  In fact, it was not even close to what the diagram shows should be done.  It was huge on top.  He did not staple all the way up and left the old stomach attached to the new one.  I'm unsure if that has anything to do with the stricture, but I can say I am very unhappy that it was not performed correctly and my new surgeon was at a loss as to why any surgeon would do that to someone.  I will also say that finding help locally after having the MGB is very difficult to do.  Not many doctors are comfortable treating an MGB patient because they are not familiar with the surgery.  I had to be completely malnourished and very, very sick before my surgeon would agree to treat me and he only agreed to after my GI doctor pleaded my case to him.  I thank my lucky stars he did, because I had lost 30 pounds when I was already at goal weight.  I've since lost another 10 pounds because I can only eat 2 ounces until my new pouch heals.  I hope I can start putting the weight back on because I feel emaciated and unhealthy, but I just know it's going to get better.

Anyways, I used to gladly recommend the MGB, but after my experiences over the past eight months, I don't think I can do that any longer.  The doctor who did my MGB isn't even performing them anymore and has moved to another state, so I essentially was left on my own to find someone to help.  Also, my family doctor retired, so even though she had agreed to follow me for my post-MGB care, she left and my new doctor didn't feel comfortable being the primary care giver for a gastric bypass patient.  I do personally know several people who have had great outcomes from the MGB, so do your research and know that NO gastric bypass surgery is without risk and even though the MGB doctors tout it's easily reversible, it is STILL a major operation.  Mine took three hours, I ended up having a heart attack during it, and half my spleen died.  I also had to be hospitalized for nine days following it.  So while it can be reversed, revised, whatever, it is risky just like any other gastric bypass revision. 

shoutjoy
on 5/15/13 8:23 pm - Culpeper, VA

I'm so sorry you had to go through that.  The surgeon never should have attempted it on you.  Why did he think he was qualified to do it?  Did you sew for malpractice?  I can see how you would blame the MGB but I think I would go after the surgeon for doing such a crappy job and making you so miserable.

I hope things calm down for you soon and you can have a quality life.

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

JulieIND
on 5/15/13 9:55 pm - Indianapolis, IN

I think you misunderstood what happened.  The new surgeon was great. The MGB surgeon messed everything up. 

shoutjoy
on 5/15/13 9:59 pm - Culpeper, VA

Hi Julie,

That's exactly what I meant.  The MGB surgeon should be in the spot light as not being qualified to do it.

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

Erin Kenny
on 9/4/13 10:55 am, edited 9/4/13 10:57 am - Canada
RNY on 07/24/13

I've just had an MGB to RNY revision for a variety of reasons and my RNY surgeon found a number of errors made by the MGB surgeon. I'm really not impressed and had really poor follow up care.

Do you mind if I ask where you had yours done? Mine was done in Michigan.

Oh, never mind. I see from your status line you had the same surgeon as I did. Maybe that explains why 6 weeks later I'm still in hospital (they're trying to suss out some problems left over from the MGB).

Most Active
Recent Topics
MGP in Ontario
NAP2013 · 2 replies · 905 views
New to this
Grammy1976 · 0 replies · 1238 views
Pre-op diet
LovelyBeck · 0 replies · 2056 views