10 years post op and living life larger than ever!

MyBariatricLife
on 8/2/13 1:09 am, edited 9/2/13 10:08 pm

X-post

I recently passed the decade mark from my gastric bypass. In this older post I reflect upon how my life has changed in so many ways - at the time of writing the post I was 8-yrs post ophttp://www.healthcentral.com/obesity/c/276918/142536/bariatric-weight?ap=831

I’ve battled with my weight since early childhood. I was obese throughout elementary school and junior high. In high school I joined a gym, became an avid swimmer, took diet pills and crash dieted. I got down to a weight of 120-lbs. That wasn’t long-lived, but for years I did maintain my weight at 140-lbs. My weight began to balloon up again in my early twenties. I was a processed food junkie and by the time I reached my thirties, I had developed diabetes, celiac disease, depression, acid reflux, asthma, and hypertension. I ended up hospitalized for diabetes. I was morbidly obese and on ~10 prescription medications. Clearly my life was in jeopardy. At the time, Al Roker was in the news for having had gastric bypass surgery. I saw him on the cover of a magazine while shopping with some very beautiful co-workers. I grabbed it off the shelf and told one of the girls that I had thought about getting this surgery. She said, “You should do it.” And in that moment of truth, I decided to have weight-loss surgery. In July of 2003, I had gastric bypass surgery.

Gastric bypass surgery was the linchpin in my decade-long success in defeating obesity and obesity-related illnesses. I've been off 9 of those 10 prescription medications for 10-yrs and counting. Never could I have achieved this success with diet and exercise alone. Today, I'm a size medium and living life larger than ever!  

Recently I underwent abdominoplasty. Never did I imagine that my body could look this good. So far I have lost 24-lbs and 18 inches and I am not even 4-mos post op yet. At my largest, I wore a size 24W. After gastric bypass, I wore a 14. After abdominoplasty, I am in an 8. You may read about my results in this posthttp://www.healthcentral.com/obesity/c/276918/162069/bariatric-wow-inches-months?ap=831

What's next? I am looking into more plastics to complete my total body transformation. Next year I will be turning 50- and I think thwt I will be looking better than ever! Feel free to send me a friend request to see my before and after shots. The password is "Capella" to view my tummy tuck album.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

(deactivated member)
on 9/2/13 8:15 pm

i truly agree with you, i have also being through gastric bypass and it has given me a complete new life with new structure.Before surgery you have to attend your surgeon who will explain you what and how the procedure of surgery will go on. So that you get the potential and motivation before the surgery happens.

MyBariatricLife
on 9/2/13 10:09 pm

Thank you for your additional comment. It is true what you say. We must be mentally prepared for this challenge.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Most Active
Recent Topics
MGP in Ontario
NAP2013 · 2 replies · 906 views
New to this
Grammy1976 · 0 replies · 1239 views
Pre-op diet
LovelyBeck · 0 replies · 2057 views