Waitiing too long

(deactivated member)
on 4/8/14 2:46 am

Yesterday, I reached my low goal weight, again and as I reward I went to get a pair of shoes that I had been salivating over for months.  When I finally made it to my local store, I found out that this shoe had sold out in my size.  I looked on line, but can't find it anywhere.  It got me thinking about all the other times in life when we wait too long.

Not to get to morbid, but my father died suddenly one Sunday morning as the family was gathered to have Sunday brunch.  There was no warning.  My son was only three weeks old and I was absolutely devastated.  The one thing that kept me even a bit sane was the fact that we had just told each other how much we loved each other in a phone conversation the night before.  I am so glad I hadn't waited.

Since then, whenever someone I love, my kids, my husband or even a good friend leaves, I always tell them that I love them.  My 13 year old daughter rolls her eyes at me every time I say it, but the other day, I was in a huge hurry to get out the door in the morning, and I forgot.  She made it all the way to the curb, turned around and ran back to me and knocked on the car window.  When I rolled it down, she said, " You forgot to tell me, I looked at her blankly, and she said, you forgot to tell me you love me.".  I teared up just a bit. 

If you want something, don't wait to long, go get it or share your feelings or lay your claim or whatever is appropriate.  Did you ever wait to long for something only to miss an opportunity? Or the other way around, did you learn not to wait and because of this got something you really wanted?  Carpe diem is a great saying-- seize the day indeed.

Phil M.
on 4/8/14 2:57 am - Los Angeles, CA
VSG on 12/20/13

I have a funny story (at least I think its funny) that kind of relates to your story. My older brother is a nut and he decided that the one thing missing from his life was a gun. So about a month ago he bought some fancy Russian AK-47 looking gun. He was so excited when it arrived that he called me to tell me the good news. My response "If I don't get another opportunity to say it, I love you!" Now every time he calls me to tell me about the wonderful day he had at the gun range or anything gun related, my only reply is "I love you, you fricken moron".

"I don't know, only God knows where the story ends for me, but I know where the story begins." - Mary J. Blige

M1: -32 M2: -19 M3: -18 M4: -16 M5: -10

(deactivated member)
on 4/8/14 3:08 am

That is funny.  Guns scare me but my husband keeps repeating, "Guns don't kill people, people kill people".  Sure, I get it, but please keep inanimate objects designed to hurt/kill things as far away from me and people I love as possible.  To which my dear husband says, how do you feel about knives and hammers?  :)  I love the guy, we don't have to agree on everything. I think there is something about some men and guns....makes them feel powerful. I guess as long as they are extremely responsible....

Funny story.

Phil M.
on 4/8/14 3:27 am - Los Angeles, CA
VSG on 12/20/13

I agree, keep your guns, but keep them the hell away from me.

"I don't know, only God knows where the story ends for me, but I know where the story begins." - Mary J. Blige

M1: -32 M2: -19 M3: -18 M4: -16 M5: -10

Cunning_Pam
on 4/8/14 4:48 am
RNY on 12/18/13

I tell my son I love him each and every time I speak with him on the phone. I tell my husband I love him when he leaves for work in the morning, whenever we talk on the phone, at the end of every email and at the end of his nightly phone call to tell me he's on his way home. I never want to have to worry that the people in my life who are important to me don't know how I feel about them. Life can change in the blink of an eye, and none of us knows what's around the next corner. Yes, patience can be a good thing, but there are many times when it's important to do it now, whatever "it" is.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Spencerella
on 4/8/14 4:53 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I'm really not one for quotes, but I think Oprah's common reference to Maya Angelou's "when you know better, you do better" may fit here ;). I have regrets about how I've handled my life, and particularly my weight, but I did the best I could with what I knew.  The good news is now that I "know better" about how to level the playing field regarding treating morbid obesity, I was able to pass that along to my daughter.  As a result, she had WLS at 31, as opposed to me at 56.  

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

(deactivated member)
on 4/8/14 5:04 am

It is so true what you say, and I love that quote.  My daughter too is much better of learning to eat well at this age.  She has inherited my propensity to gain weight, but she has also inherited my type A personality.  now that she knows what needs to be done to keep from gaining weight, she is determined to do it.  We are partners in this; I support her efforts to walk the line between keeping a healthy weight and keeping a healthy mind and attitude.  She has lost 15 pounds and is now convinced that she is beautiful.  (She was always beautiful, but she didn't believe it before).  I tell he what I know and explain that her road will be easier because I can share this with her and we can learn from each other.  I love her so much, and I wish she didn't inherit this from me, but at least we know how to treat it. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Sad news but it's for the best
TattooMom · 3 replies · 1055 views
Does Salt Matter?
alfred098 · 5 replies · 1122 views
Wedding preps!!!!
emilinjohn11 · 1 replies · 901 views
Best Running Idea's Outfit
emmajames · 0 replies · 772 views