Question about early post op weight loss stall

4me2be
on 4/16/11 12:57 pm - Ottawa, Canada
I am 2.5 weeks post op and 23 days from starting my pre-op fast. I have lost 26 lbs in the 23 days total. I was losing at least 1 to 2 lbs a day and then BAMM since the last week only lost 2 lbs.
They told me when I went in a week ago for my just over 1 week post-op visit that I would be losing about 5 lbs a week for the next couple of months....and that is when my weight loss completely slowed down to the 2 lbs in one week that I mentioned.
My question today is did anyone else have a plateau so early in their post op experience? Am I being too focused on the numbers? I kind of know that you will all tell me to not worry, but just want to hear if anyone else had this experience. I would love to hear from you all!
Virginia

4 Me 2 Be

highlandbear
on 4/16/11 1:21 pm - Canada
Everyone goes through a slow down in there weight lost and some people stalls last longer than others. I am over a year out and could not tell you when I slowed down stall what ever because I refuse to get on a scale and just wait untill I went for check up to see how I was doing. This way I was always happy with my results. I could tell I was losing by the way my clothes got bigger and bigger.  To many people worry about the scales and I wish they would put them away and concentrate more on eating right, exercising and feeling good.  The feeling good is the important thing.  The only scale you should worry about is the one to weigh your food. Remember we sometimes may be losing inches and the scales will not be moving at all. Just go by how your clothes feel. The weight will come off
ana1980
on 4/16/11 3:11 pm - Canada
I'm having the same issue as you, it's so frustrating.

Referal  to Humber River February 28, 2010
Questionaire July 14, 2010
Transfered to Toronto Westen General September 3, 2010
Orientatio November3, 2010
Nurse and social Worker January 26, 2011
Dietician and Nutrition Class February 2, 2011
Psych February 4, 2011
Surgeon March 11, 2011
Surgery March 28, 2011 TWH 

Diminishing Dawn
on 4/16/11 6:34 pm - Windsor, Canada
Sorry but I think she set an unrealistic goal for you. Even after surgery I did not lose 5 lbs a week. You don't seem like you even have that much to lose compared to others. I lost around 20 lbs my first month out and then 15 the next month. My numbers weren't 5 lbs every week.

As well, you have to remember that somewhere usually in your 3rd to 6th week, most people experience a lag in their body. It is caused by the body deciding to no longer use glycogen stores (quick energy stores) in order to maintain caloric intake.  Your body decides that it must delve into its fat stores instead. The process for the body usually involves a slow down or complete halt in weight loss that could be one week long to three weeks long.  It could be that your body is beginning to slow down for that. 

Do not sweat the weight right now. It WILL come off.  Turn your focus to three things:  protein goals, water goals and beginning an exercise program of walking.  The weight will take care of itself.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Ezlivin
on 4/16/11 8:55 pm - Windsor, Canada
Yea...what Dawn said

Don't sweat it.....it will comes off and if it helps weight yourself every other day....
Judy

Surgeon's goal 155 - 160
NUT goal 140
My own personal goal  125.

HW  237(Optifast weight)  SW  214   CW  111

Yummy recipies to try.....  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/welcome/  

Patricia R.
on 4/16/11 10:59 pm - Canada
Very well said, Dawn!!!!!   You made ME feel better, and I haven't even had surgery yet!!!!  LOL
Patricia

(deactivated member)
on 4/16/11 7:11 pm - Canada
Had the same surgery about at the same time you did and I am in a stall. I am not worried about it, since I see by my cloths that i am still loosing weigh (my cloths fit a whole lot better). I was ready for this eventuality, as I had read it on this site. Hang in there, things will resume eventually. Just keep on the right track.
dancingdaisy
on 4/16/11 8:55 pm - Canada
Stalling out to..for the last two weeks. Just finished week five and am down only twenty pounds....
Monica M.
on 4/16/11 9:28 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
i'm just past 6 weeks. I've lost 45 pounds since i started preop, for the last 10 days or so, i haven't lost anything. I've put my scale away, for now, and decided not to weigh myself until next monday (not tomorrow)

try not to focus on the numbers. Your body is in the "WTF just happened to me" mode, and trying to fix what it thinks is broken.

just keep doing what you're supposed to be doing, be healthy, get your protein in, drink y our water. Walk or exercise as much as you can.

imagenthat
on 4/16/11 11:42 pm - Bolton, Canada
I am almost 10 weeks out, and I have stalled a couple of times.  I just try to relax and let me body works it self out.

Traci

Most Active
Recent Topics