Drinking alcohol....

Smiley_sandy
on 7/8/11 7:04 am - Belleville, Canada
When is it safe to have a drink? I'm 8 wks post op and was wondering when I can sit around the pool with a little beverage....

Sandy

Sent referral July2010 to HRRH, Info session Dec 2,2010, Meeting with surgeon Jan26/11,Feb2/11 GBC/Dt/SW/(Dr Glazer) Mar 23/11, Surgery 04/05/11, 10 lbs below goal!

trudylam
on 7/8/11 7:24 am - Sudbury, Canada
Might want to make it a "virgin" ****tail for a while longer.  Alcohol is a definite no-no this soon.  Most wait months to try it, some over a year.  There's alot of sugar in most drinks because of the mix and carbonated drinks aren't allowed yet either.   You don't want to damage your new pouch.  Have fun in the pool :)  Wishing I had one of those today! LOL
O-Shae
on 7/8/11 7:51 am
I am 3 months post-op and I certainly would not even consider having an alcoholic beverage so soon after surgery. Take into consideration that your digestive system is not what it use to be and things get processed real fast now that you have had the surgery. Very little will go an extremely long way now. I would not be walking anywhere near a pool or water if and when  I where going to do that and never do that if I where alone either. I would discuss this with my doctor before I took the plunge.  
O'Shae    
debralight
on 7/8/11 8:07 am - Canada
Sandy

About thanksgiving maybe .. or next summer .. .

You likely want to ask at your next appt with Dr Sohi or the dietican.
Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

linda11665
on 7/8/11 8:33 am - Ottawa, Canada
 Hi Sandy, I didn't have my operation yet, but I do know that my friend Sylvie had the surgery over a year and half ago and has only now tried a drink.  What use to take her twelve bottles of beer to get a buzz, now only takes her half a bottle and she is totally sloshed.

So not talking from personal experience, ask your doctor.

Oh by the way great work on the weight loss.  Only 8weeks after surgery and you only have 41lbs to lose.  Amazing  

Linda

Choose love, power, and acceptance instead of what we default to which is fear, dependence, and intolerance
Wendy E.
on 7/8/11 9:13 am - Gananoque, Canada
Hi Sandy I saw Diana last week at HRRH (dietitian) and she told me 3 months.  Take care

Wendy E
Alycia87
on 7/8/11 9:38 am - London, ON
just to warn you..you will get DRUNK really fast..after one drink im pretty tipsy, so be careful!

Barix Consultation May 26, 2009             OHIP Papers Faxed May 29, 2009
OHIP APPROVAL JULY 14, 2009!!        PATS August 3rd, 2009
Surgery August 13th, 2009

Starting Weight: 278 lbs
Current Weight: 109 lbs           Total loss so far of 169 lbs     BMI 18.7

alyciacrandon.jpg picture by Alycia87

birdiegirl
on 7/8/11 9:39 am
I waited almost a year and then had just a little - to this day I will have max two drinks over an evening

First your liver - too much for it to process

Second - empty calories -

Third - gets your defenses down....some chips or whatever also might taste good with that drink by the pool

I just dont understand the rationale for even contemplating it - regardless of what your dietitian says....they also say you can have bread/crackers etc....talk to me about that one in a year or two..

I just think just because you CAN have something doesnt mean you should...

Thats just my take on it - for what its worth

Barb

lbaetz
on 7/8/11 9:55 am - St. Thomas, Canada
Wow there are so many differing positions on this.  I was told that I would never be able to drink again and I'm fine with that.  Just one thing that ai am willing to give up in order to keep my tool working properly.

Lori

twins4meplus1
on 7/8/11 11:48 am - St Thomas, Canada
Why never I wonder?

Linda

London and Area Support Group Leader
http://www.london-wls-support-group.com/
Come join the Ontario Plastics Patients Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_Post_Plastics 
Come join the Ontario WLS Vets Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_WLS_Vets/
To get your discounted subscription to OH Magazine
Follow the link below and enter the promo code "Terrio11
http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/subscriptions.
html

OH certified WLS Support Group Leader

Most Active
Recent Topics