Post-oper's Input needed!

Sunnydaz
on 5/17/12 1:10 am
Ok...I went back to work at 5 weeks post-op.  I work as the senior/manager cosmetician in a high demand retial environment.  I also fill in as the stores asst. manager.  I went back with a plan of only working 4 hrs a day for 2 weeks, then 6hrs a day for a week, then 4-8hrs shifts a week to my full time hrs at week 5.  That didn't happen.  Mid way through week 2 I went to 6hrs, then week 3 my full time hours.  I've gone from having no problems with food and eating to having difficulty eating, keeping the foods that I was already eating down and feeling tired and achy all the time.  I told the store manager this and his thought was to have me do office work for him (so I could sit and eat slowly), but I would still work the same hours.  My exercise is lacking b/c I'm so tired at the end of the day I just can't get my butt to it.

I'm feeling run over, out of sorts and lost.  We need money, I'm the only full time income in my household....and no my husband is not able to make any more money.  There are reasons for that...if he could he would bend over backwards to do so.  I really need some advice.  I'm considering cutting my hours back, but if I do...to what?  For how long.....my health is so important I don't want to blow this.  Any advice would be really great.  Thank you everyone!

Orientation: Oct. 5/11     NP: Nov. 16/11     SW: Nov. 16/11
NC: Nov. 23/11     N-1on1: Jan. 6/12     PSYC: Jan. 6/12
Surgeon:  Feb. 24/12     Surgery:  March 20/12

Karen M.
on 5/17/12 1:14 am - Mississauga, Canada
Hi there,

My suggestion is this:  Sit down and have a conversation with your manager.  Together, make a plan of how long you would work the office job and when you would progress back to your old position.  I went back to work at 2 weeks post-op, took it easy, worked full time and made it work. I'm sure you'll also be able to find a solution that doesn't involve cutting your hours and losing money.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Gabygee
on 5/17/12 1:14 am - Canada
Your health is absolutely number one.
This will have repercussions for YEARS to come, you need to pay full attention to this right now.

Without good health (which I predict will not fully kick in for another month or two) you are unable to support your family - and that's where the buck stops.
You've got to ensure that you can take the time to recover fully (keeping up on your water and your walking, ensuring that you get enough protein and enough vitamins in - all those good things) and completely before you even think about earning money.

I know that sounds cruel and unrealistic, but it's tough love, baby.
Without your health, you're good to no-one.

Can some extra cash come from somewhere else for a month or so? Perhaps other family members?
It's crunch time.

Karen M.
on 5/17/12 1:19 am - Mississauga, Canada
Gaby, my thought was (and not to sound like I don't empathize, because I do) that she is not a really NEW post-op and is going to have to adapt to her job sooner or later. Now is the time to get it figured out, with the support of her manager, who is offering to let her do office wor****il she is up and running again.  She has already stated that the family needs money.  Yes, her health is most important, but it's going to be pretty hard to feel healthy if the family doesn't have enough cash to live.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 5/17/12 1:28 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
I think you need to go back to the original plan of slowly getting back to full time unless you think you can handle doing the full time desk job for now.  You could always ask your manager to try the full time desk job and if that doesn't work then go back to a structured return to work plan like you had i place.
Monica M.
on 5/17/12 1:29 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
Sunny

One thing you also need to consider is whether or not there is something physical going on. If you're weak, tired and achy, you could have some kind of a virus.

You could be dehydrated, or not getting in enough food/energy in. Are you able to track what you're eating and drinking?

Maybe talk to the dietitian about your lack of tolerance to previously tolerated foods. Stick to what goes down, for now, even if you have to eat the same thing morning, afternoon and night.

Remember to keep taking your vitamins.

I totally get the runover and lost feeling. You've got a lot of pressure to acheive, and you're not at your best right now.

You need to explain to your manager that if he values you as an employee, he needs to be supportive of your needs (it looks like he's already made some adjustments, which looks hopeful to me). Maybe cut back to 6 hrs again. Or, is it possible for you still to do 8 hrs, but with a good long break (2hr lunch, say?) in the middle, so you could nap or something like that. Try to be creative with your manager, think outside the box. If you're doing office work for the interim, is this something you could do from home?

Don't worry about your exercise lacking right now, it seems like you need to conserve some energy.

But what Gaby said is right, you need to think about the long term. If you get sick now, and are totally unable to work, that will really mess things up.

Take care of yourself. Please.

I hope that, if your husband is not able to work any more than he is, that he's being a big help at home. You don't mention housework and stuff, but you should not be worrying about that as well. His responsibility should be all the cooking, laundry and cleaning.

stephanie2011
on 5/17/12 1:57 am - toronto, Canada

I think Monica has covered everything.  Make sure there is nothing physical happening and that you are getting all the protien and Vitamins that you need.  Maybe have your iron levels checked? 
If you are just feeling overwhelmed and stressed then talking to your manager about going back to a slightly reduced work week or continuing office work for a bit is a good bet.  He seems receptive.  Don't worry about working out at this point. 

I hope you are able to get to the root of your eating issues as well.  big hug!!

Steph

Referral: Aug 3, 2010       Info Session: Dec 12, 2011   
Nurse Appt: Jan 30, 2012    Diet/Nut Appt: Feb 8, 2012
Surgery Class: Jan 24, 2012
Meet Surgeon: Feb 8,2012    Start Optifast: April 24, 2012
Surgery Date: May 8, 2012

Catw
on 5/17/12 2:58 am - Arnprior, Canada
As others have said, make sure you are logging your intake, liquids and solids and vitamins..  You may have a deficiancy right now that's making it harder.  Also, make sure you are getting enough sleep at night.  If you are not getting enough, it can affect the next day.  And definitely keep an eye on your water (you don't mention coffee, but make sure that's not replacing your water, coffee doesn't count according to my dietician).

As for having difficulty, this is part of the learning process.  I'm sure we've all had something that suddenly doesn't agree with us when it did before.  Just avoid and try something else.

Good luck,
Cathy

Marny B.
on 5/17/12 3:03 am - Canada
I agree with Monica.  Rule out everything to make sure you are okay.  You are 2 months post-op.  You should have your strength back by now.  Maybe something else is going on.  It seems as though your boss is very understanding and the offer to do desk work may be just what you need.  Sitting at a desk, you can eat slowly, and not be distracted by customers.  Why not take him/her up on this offer and see how it goes?

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

Jason W.
on 5/17/12 10:32 am - Canada
I am so glad you posted this. I am considering going back to work next week for few days.

I agree with all the above responses. I also totally understand how you must feel trapped because of your financial obligations.

Yet, you can only do what you physically can do. The choice to have the surgery is a life long choice. You have your whole life to continue your career and meet those financial goals.

I don't know you financial situation, but if you are feeling the squeeze I have some suggestions.

Lots of creditors will give a break for health reasons. Reducing payments owed for a six month period. It may give you some breathing room, so you can cut back from work and regain ground on your WLS journey.

If it is looking like the walls are closing in and creditors are pilling up (again it may not be your situation) I would talk to a credit counsellor about other options. Possibly a consumer proposal.

These are only some suggestions to help lighten your financial load and give you some breathing room.

Jason

Orientation Jan 8 2012   Group Nut/Surgery Class Jan 23 2012
1st Surgeon Meeting Feb 2 2012    Dr. Glazer Feb 9 2012
Social Worker Feb 23 2012    Psych/Nut/Nurse Mar 8 2012
2nd Surgeon Meeting Mar 28 2012    Optifast April 18 2012 
RNY Surgery May 9 2012
  Now if I could only grow an ass.....