What if I screw up?

Brenda T.
on 5/25/12 5:05 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
Just alittle scared that once I can eat "foods" again, what if I blow it or over do it and gain my weight back? 

I don't want to overdue it, I want this to work.  I think I have in my head right now that if I eat any food I will blow it, maybe because I miss flavors.

Thanks for letting me have this mini pity party.

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

(deactivated member)
on 5/25/12 5:15 am - Canada
Brenda...totally normal fears! I was afraid to eat in the hospital & they actually wouldn't discharge me until I ate lunch. Same fear - what if I start eating & this doesn't work?!?

I think because we've tried so many other things that didn't work, we're almost expecting to fail.

The only advice I can give is...follow the rules & you'll be fine. You'll soon realize that there's no way you can eat enough to gain weight - IF you follow the rules.
Catw
on 5/25/12 5:17 am - Arnprior, Canada
Hey Brenda,

You are just expressing the fears most of us have.  You already know the answer, keep to the program and you'll be fine.  If you slip up, you just give your self a talking to, and get back up on the horse.  We all know that this journey isn't easy, but we are all working on it together. 

The biggest thing to remember is that you aren't doing this alone.  None of us are.  And it's easier with a budy, which you have found lots of here.

Now that the pitty party is over, have a great weekend.

Cathy

JJ_
on 5/25/12 5:31 am
Hi Brenda,

As others have mentionned, this is a pretty common fear.  However, you do not have to worry about all the tomorrows.  Concentrate on what you need to do today.  In this moment, do you need to drink?  Is it snack time?  Have you had your vitamins?  Each day of success will string together into a week of success, a month of success, a year of success, years of success. 

Good luck,

Judy

p.s.  you are human and allowed to not be perfect.
Moselle
on 5/25/12 10:24 am - Athens, Canada
Loved the reply JJ.  One day at a time, stringing the successes together; awesome and a whole lot less daunting to think about it that way.

Brenda - as everyone has said, it isn't easy but it's certainly doable as many of us can attest.

Keep up the good work ladies.
Joyce J.
on 5/25/12 5:31 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi Brenda

All those fears you are having are normal.
Take one day at a time. You will do great.

Just keep posting here and we will all do this together

take care

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

msheavyhearted
on 5/25/12 5:46 am - Marathon, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/02/12

As others have said, Brenda, those are such common fears. The difference between now and pre-op is that your tool is now in place. Even if you want to overdo things, the likelihood that you'll be able to this early out is next to impossible. (But you will eventually be able to eat more so keep working on your food issues and awareness.)

Now, the bad news: you will likely screw up. Probably even more than once. I know I have. I am far from perfect. The difference is that I don't wallow in my mistakes any longer. Eating a cookie or not exercising enough no longer feels like the beginning of the end. Remember, this pouch of yours is a permanent thing so try to focus on the positives and get over the negatives quickly.

Just FYI, I missed flavours like crazy, too. As it turns out, I really don't enjoy many of my old favourites (chocolate, sweets, fried foods.) I'm not sure why but I'm loving dill pickles, berries and cheeses. All appropriate choices for our pouches.

Want to join the CRAZY TransCanada Challenge?? Just message me. Here's a link to the rules: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/4570778/REPOST-The-CRAZY-TransCanada-Challenge-Rules/

hobbithands
on 5/25/12 5:47 am - Brussels, Canada
RNY on 05/30/12
 I have those same fears. I think we all do. But you are so well informed and you have so much support, I don't doubt for one minute that you are gonna rock the sh** outta this RNY.
We have faith in you!

Monica M.
on 5/25/12 6:02 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
I totally get that, Brenda...
right now, at this stage, you'll be fine, just eat the foods in the amounts indicated on your info from the hospital, and you'll do fine.

That fear should keep you from doing stupid things, and eating things you're not supposed to. It is possible to eat the wrong things and gain weight back, after that honeymood period.

Keep using the supports you have available. Keep tracking your food.

pity parties are ok.

northernlight
on 5/25/12 7:37 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Hi Brenda,

I've been having the very same feelings as you've described. I think that most everyone feels this in the early days so it's not unusual. As others have said, follow the diet plan & it should be fine. I know that I can't really eat too much at one sitting because my sleeve lets me know it's not happy - I get a sharp pain right behind my breastbone area & I also get the burps, so I know that it's time to stop. Just be mindful of what you're choosing to eat to make sure it has lots of protein, if possible, and very little fat. Once I'm back to eating "normal" foods again, I plan on keeping a couple of my "fattest" pics handy to look at when I'm tempted to eat the "wrong" things - LOL! I don't ever want to be that weight again!!!!

Deb

Most Active
Recent Topics