re-done RNY

Luckalee
on 7/7/12 2:01 am - St.Catharines. On, Canada
Hi everyone,been awhile since I posted having a lot going on with me these past months. Has anyone ever had to have the surgery (RNY) redone???

Six months out I started having pain in my pouch I knew it wasn't gallbladder issue for I had that removed years ago had scope and found out I had 2 ulcers put on meds rescoped told it has healed 2 months or less later pain was back another scope same 2 ulcers back this time they also found I had a loose staple the doc tried to remove it with no luck but after the scope the pain was much worse then before, was given prescript for more meds and told to come back in 4 weeks so went in to see Dr Gmora and he said this staple is rejecting my body and probably has been since I had the surgery and that my ulcers has never healed since the first time I got them and the staple is in the middle of these ulcers and not as an easy procedure as thought I go for another scope on the 12th this Thursday and he said he has to try and remove it but cannot just pull it out and said worse scenario is that I might have to have this surgery redone I literally thought he was joking with me he said No I am serious but we will know more when I do the scope which he is doing the scope himself so yes I am very nervous of this out come. Oh yes forgot to mention I'm 20 months post op. Thanks for any input on this subject

Sandy M

My are BrendaK1 and CherylD.     Watch what you wish for it might just come true

Btrue2u
on 7/7/12 2:21 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 08/20/12
Wow all I can say are my thoughts are with you .  Let us know how it turns out.    

20AUG12-8AM SURGERY AT ST.JOES IN TORONTO  W/ DR SMITH                        

Dianadcr
on 7/7/12 2:27 am - Canada
Sandy so sorry to hear about this. Can you describe your pain to me please. I have a pain on my lower left side. This has been off and on for three months. Sometimes it seems worse when I have decaf coffee. Thank you.
Luckalee
on 7/7/12 2:38 am - St.Catharines. On, Canada
Hi the pain started a little to my left just under my rib cage but more towards my pouch the pain wasn't real bad just a gnawing pain but some days it does get worse were I grab my stomach and wait for the pain to go away if your having pain don't wait see the doc and have it checked.

Sandy
Marny B.
on 7/7/12 11:10 pm - Canada
Sheesh... I too am out of Hamilton and have experienced this same thing.  Gnawing little pain under my rib cage on my left side, and heartburn.  I was scheduled for a scope but I had to cancel because of a work issue.  I have yet to reschedule and I haven't had the pain for about 1-1.5 months now, so I thought all wall healed.  You are making me reconsider the issue.  Maybe I will rebook the scope. 

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

Dianadcr
on 7/7/12 2:44 am - Canada
Thanks Sandy, that sounds like what I'm experiencing. Right now it's more of a dull pain but a little lower than my rib cage. I have my six month appointment in a few weeks. If it gets worse I'll contact the centre. I'm also out of Hamilton. O had dr. Anvari. Good luck to you and keep us posted.
GD6
on 7/7/12 5:30 am - Hamilton, Canada
Sandy,

Did they give you a general for the scope or were you awake?  

I'm booked for a scope at St. Joe's in October and I'm having second thoughts about having it done there as the doctor I was referred to said that I would be awake.  After thinking about it for the past 3 months that I've been waiting for the initial consult I've come to the conclusion that there is NO WAY I can be awake for this procedure.

Yasmeen  (aka thread killer!)  

5'6.5" - HW 239.4 / SW 226.8 (Feb 5, 2010) / GW 120 (Jan 6, 2011) / LW 116.8 

PatXYZ
on 7/7/12 1:25 pm
If you are awake at all, it is usually under twilight sedation. They don't usually do general, but you may be able to request it. With the twilight sedation you are only semi-conscious and very relaxed. You don't really realize what's going on or have any concern about it. That's how mine was.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Marny B.
on 7/7/12 11:14 pm - Canada
When I had it done, the sedation didn't work.  The nurse didn't set the IV right and it all trickled out on the side of my arm.  They tried twice and the same thing happened.  The Dr. got impatient and so he wwent right ahead without it.  I was pissed to say the least, but I survived.  Not going to lie- it was uncomfortable for about 3 minutes (which seemed like an eternity at the time), but I was fine.  It can be done.

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

GD6
on 7/8/12 2:20 am - Hamilton, Canada
On July 8, 2012 at 6:14 AM Pacific Time, Marny B. wrote:
When I had it done, the sedation didn't work.  The nurse didn't set the IV right and it all trickled out on the side of my arm.  They tried twice and the same thing happened.  The Dr. got impatient and so he wwent right ahead without it.  I was pissed to say the least, but I survived.  Not going to lie- it was uncomfortable for about 3 minutes (which seemed like an eternity at the time), but I was fine.  It can be done.
After spending 6 hours at the St. Joe's ER last night for yet another suspected Ulcer attack and getting the skinny on their scope procedure (NO hospitals in Hamilton will perform endoscopies under general under any cir****tances.) 

I'm going to be asking my GP for a referral to another Hospital.  Given the frequency, length of time and severity of my attacks I think it's ridiculous to wait 5 months for a scope.  Which in all honesty I will probably not be able to have while awake.  I KNOW I will freak, gag and throw up as they're shoving that thing down my throat.

So other than TWH, who else does scopes while under general?

Yasmeen  (aka thread killer!)  

5'6.5" - HW 239.4 / SW 226.8 (Feb 5, 2010) / GW 120 (Jan 6, 2011) / LW 116.8 

Most Active
Recent Topics